Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > California Racing
F1 is alive and well in So. Cal! >

F1 is alive and well in So. Cal!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 is alive and well in So. Cal!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Team Repsol/Honda is shaping up! FORCE alumni will hopefully maximize all available points.
gonna be killin' it!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just as a reminder guys... If your running as a team, your " Cars must be real world teams or realisticish " If your not sure, send me a pic...
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

I want to thank Tony Phalen, Kody, Christian Tabush, Mike Kennedy, and all of the other F1 drivers who put on a great show for all of us here in Dallas, Texas. It's all captured in this video --> http://youtu.be/jpdxCkV8n6g. No matter how any decisions were made, the A-Main race was 100% Awesome!!! I believe in the final decision that Tony was the winner based on keeping the lead position for over 86% of the race. Kody only had the lead for 2% of the race.

I hope to see you guys again at another F1 race sometime soon.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wwddww34
I want to thank Tony Phalen, Kody, Christian Tabush, Mike Kennedy, and all of the other F1 drivers who put on a great show for all of us here in Dallas, Texas. It's all captured in this video --> http://youtu.be/jpdxCkV8n6g. No matter how any decisions were made, the A-Main race was 100% Awesome!!! I believe in the final decision that Tony was the winner based on keeping the lead position for over 86% of the race. Kody only had the lead for 2% of the race.

X2, congrats Tony.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Awesome race congrats to Tony.

What kind of FDRs where you guys running at the Nats? That looks about the size of our asphalt track for the summer so trying to get a base FDR to start with.

Any of you guys mind posting what motors and ESC you are liking for F1, Not sure if certain combos are working well together or if anything decent works fine. Currently I am planning on a Tekin Redline 21.5 and LRP SXX Comp Spec V2.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Congrats again Tony P!

Also, I need help finding vinyl sticker for the front wing. I'm trying to source it locally in my area. I have a Hobby lobby in my area. Maybe I can try them. It's the blue for the red bull rb7.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Good run Tony P! Nice decision by RMT... Kody couldn't get it clean... but both ran great. The ruling was sound.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JManangan
Congrats again Tony P!

Also, I need help finding vinyl sticker for the front wing. I'm trying to source it locally in my area. I have a Hobby lobby in my area. Maybe I can try them. It's the blue for the red bull rb7.
try hobby people they have diffrent colors and shades in 3 foot length by 8 inch wide .. Your FGX looks dialed in .!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mb racer
try hobby people they have diffrent colors and shades in 3 foot length by 8 inch wide .. Your FGX looks dialed in .!!!
Thanks M. Likewise, yours is just insane. I look forward to what Saturday will bring. Will try hobby people in riverside. The chino one is closed permanently....
Old 03-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks .. I still have a few things to try .. Looking foward to Sat. Going to be a fun time ..
Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JManangan
Congrats again Tony P!

Ultimate Hobbies in Orange has aircraft vinyl wing tape that is good for covering the wings. That is what I have been using to do the white front and rear wings on my McLaren.

Panda

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 03-21-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34

From what I have read, I feel the right decision was made (can not watch the video, You Tube is blocked in China) and yes, I can be considered partial because I am a UF1 racer and raced with Tony P. However, a comment you made on one post was very important to me, the fact the second incident was just one second later (if I read correct). What people forget, especially on carpet, is when a car gets hacked out and rolls, they usually end up on the dirty part of the track and the hacker is still on the clean line. Yeah the hacker waits but their car now has an advantage as they can immediately attack because the hackee's tires are dirty and usually takes a couple of corners to clean up. Good chance the "tap" that Tony made that others say allowed Kody to make a clean inside move (the second pass attempt) was a result of the immediate pressure from the car with clean tires on the lead car with dirty tires. I have had this happen to me before with a similar result and the car behind thinks it was okay because they waited on the first incident not realizing they actually still had gained an unfair advantage because of their previous hack move.

Panda
Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robudda723
Awesome race congrats to Tony.

What kind of FDRs where you guys running at the Nats? That looks about the size of our asphalt track for the summer so trying to get a base FDR to start with.

Any of you guys mind posting what motors and ESC you are liking for F1, Not sure if certain combos are working well together or if anything decent works fine. Currently I am planning on a Tekin Redline 21.5 and LRP SXX Comp Spec V2.

Thanks,
Rob
we ran 3.0 fdr and use tekin rs pro with thunderpower 21.5
Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Could these de apllied to a 1/10?

About weigh distribution: front or rear?

This is the Q.s:
"Just wondering about rearwards weight distribution for MS and how the MGP had the longer wheelbase for a more rearward distribution etc, the general consensus was that rearwards = oversteery and forwards = understeery, as the momentum/inertia would be greater.

But surely in slow speed etc, the additional normal force pressing the car down is greater than the momentum? Such as hairpins etc? I mean, that is what drivers do under heavy braking, no? Transfer the weight forward?"

This is one answer:

"We need to seperate two things weight/mass & load/force.

under braking you will get load transfere towards the front tires, but there is no additional mass at the front tires.
So your tire sees an increase in vertical load, but at the same time the lateral accelaration acts in your CoG (mass centre) which is still at the same point (save for a few milimeters).

if you move your CoG (mass centre) more forward, your front tires will carry additional vertical force (F=m*a), but at the same time, they will need to support this additional mass under lateral acceleration (again F=m*a)- sideways

If you like, you have to pay a price for this extra vertical force (cost function).

The increase in load due to load transfere does not move your CoG (mass centre) forward at the same amount (it does move forward slightly, but not dramatic).
Itīs the same with downforce, you get an extra vertical force/load on your tire, but you donīt have to support it under lateral acceleration - itīs a free lunch if you like.

The statement that a forward CoG causes understeer and a rearward CoG causes oversteer is a bit too general.

You have to see it in relation to your tires, there size, width and stiffness (lateral and vertical).
If you would have a car which uses the same tires front and rear, your statement would be more or less correct.

But if you use different tires (such as in F1) you have an "ideal" weight distribution in regards to your tires.
This would be slightly rearward (geometrical) for a current car to be "neutral"

Feedback from the experts?

Cheers,
Marcos
Old 03-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
From what I have read, I feel the right decision was made (can not watch the video, You Tube is blocked in China) and yes, I can be considered partial because I am a UF1 racer and raced with Tony P. However, a comment you made on one post was very important to me, the fact the second incident was just one second later (if I read correct). What people forget, especially on carpet, is when a car gets hacked out and rolls, they usually end up on the dirty part of the track and the hacker is still on the clean line. Yeah the hacker waits but their car now has an advantage as they can immediately attack because the hackee's tires are dirty and usually takes a couple of corners to clean up. Good chance the "tap" that Tony made that others say allowed Kody to make a clean inside move (the second pass attempt) was a result of the immediate pressure from the car with clean tires on the lead car with dirty tires. I have had this happen to me before with a similar result and the car behind thinks it was okay because they waited on the first incident not realizing they actually still had gained an unfair advantage because of their previous hack move.

Panda
That's pretty much how it happened. Had Kody been given a stop and go there would not have been a second attempt. Kodys 2nd attempt was aggressive but would have been acceptable had he not hit me 2 corners earlier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.