Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree40Likes

OCRC Raceway

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 3.88 average.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The dirt appears to be turned over and the old stuff is on top again. My suggestions is go back to what worked before the new dirt came in a get yourself some sticky kicks!
Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
The dirt appears to be turned over and the old stuff is on top again. My suggestions is go back to what worked before the new dirt came in a get yourself some sticky kicks!
It didn't seem to be anywhere near the old traction...although, not as much as the previous layout. I think a big difference is some of the higher speed turns and sections (that make this track so much fun), make the car seem looser than the previous layout.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bpspeed
CUDA>
last night might be the worst night to use for reference on which tires to use @OCRC... being that nearly all of us thought the track was the slipperiest it has been in a really long time. Everyone was bitching (myself included) about how there was very little traction in the mains.

Maybe because they chose to not water the track the entire night which I've never seen them do ever, who knows. Many of us left frustrated.
The track wasn't watered because there wasn't enough heats to water between rounds. And by the time the mains came around it still wasn't dry enough to warrent watering. What it comes down to is adapting to track conditions.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcdude19641
The track wasn't watered because there wasn't enough heats to water between rounds. And by the time the mains came around it still wasn't dry enough to warrent watering. What it comes down to is adapting to track conditions.
guess there must be some other reason that there was much less grip... like I said, what do I know?
>was just saying the track got waaaay slippier as the night went on and them not watering as the night went on is the only thing different that I could attribute it to.

maybe the dirt theory?
it's definitely nothing like the old dirt... but not like the first couple months with the new dirt.

It'll prolly keep evolving each time they till it up, and we'll have to keep being frustrated, keep buying different tires and keep tweaking our setups

also, I have to imagine each time the track gets really grooved up, like last week there were areas that were practically black, and then that gets tilled in it must eventually morph the properties of the dirt.
but then again I have a bad habit of over thinking everything

and just to bump the vids...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

guess there must be some other reason that there was much less grip... like I said, what do I know?
>was just saying the track got waaaay slippier as the night went on and them not watering as the night went on is the only thing different that I could attribute it to.

maybe the dirt theory?
it's definitely nothing like the old dirt... but not like the first couple months with the new dirt.

It'll prolly keep evolving each time they till it up, and we'll have to keep being frustrated, keep buying different tires and keep tweaking our setups

also, I have to imagine each time the track gets really grooved up, like last week there were areas that were practically black, and then that gets tilled in it must eventually morph the properties of the dirt.
but then again I have a bad habit of over thinking everything

and just to bump the vids...
Personally I thought the track got better as the night went on. I thought the first round was slick and it got better round by round. But I was also on different tires. In the first and third round i ran the same time but was on a much faster time earlier in the 3rd round then anything I had been on in the first two. The thing to remember as well is that your going ALOT faster on this layout then the previous and have to adjust your car to the track. If you thought it was slick after the triple and coming on the straight it's because of all the lawndarts creating divets and loose dirt sitting where your accelerating.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

oh... I'm very aware of how those 2 corners are very different, but no I'm referring to on power getting very loose out of the low speed corners... in stock.
looser every round.

everyone was looser every round. you could hear them say it, and the obnoxious pita that won the 3rd heat of qualifying finished more than a whole lap slower, qualifying 4th than I did qualifying 3rd in an earlier round, I believe the 1st round, maybe second.
what does that tell you?

I wanna make sure nobody thinks I'm bitching here, I'm really not (except for the obnoxious pita) I'm not. I was posting because, even if your prolines eventually worked last night, last night would be a bad night to use for reference about what tires work there.

and I guess technically it'd be nice if you didn't have to totally rework your setup because they can't keep the track consistent one way or another... like had I known they weren't gonna water (cuz I asked nick during round 3 if they'd at least water for the mains, and he said yes they would, then didn't) I would prolly go to black springs or something, having seen how much slicker the track got for round 3. I did lower the power profile on my ESC by 2 settings after I realized they didn't water the track and I was still fishtailing outta nearly every corner.
for some of us who have been racing less than a year, we can't just adjust on the fly to a track condition we've never experienced before because we've only raced there, where for example the set up I'm running has been pushing like a mofo until last night.

Last edited by bpspeed; 06-20-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:01 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

oh... I'm very aware of how those 2 corners are very different, but no I'm referring to on power getting very loose out of the low speed corners... in stock.
looser every round.

everyone was looser every round. you could hear them say it, and the obnoxious pita that won the 3rd heat of qualifying finished more than a whole lap slower, qualifying 4th than I did qualifying 3rd in an earlier round, I believe the 1st round, maybe second.
what does that tell you?

I wanna make sure nobody thinks I'm bitching here, I'm really not (except for the obnoxious pita) I'm not. I was posting because, even if your prolines eventually worked last night, last night would be a bad night to use for reference about what tires work there.

and I guess technically it'd be nice if you didn't have to totally rework your setup because they can't keep the track consistent one way or another... like had I known they weren't gonna water (cuz I asked nick during round 3 if they'd at least water for the mains, and he said yes they would, then didn't) I would prolly go to black springs or something, having seen how much slicker the track got for round 3. I did lower the power profile on my ESC by 2 settings after I realized they didn't water the track and I was still fishtailing outta nearly every corner.
for some of us who have been racing less than a year, we can't just adjust on the fly to a track condition we've never experienced before because we've only raced there, where for example the set up I'm running has been pushing like a mofo until last night.

You don't have to "totally rework your setup" from round to round at OCRC. I rarely change much (if any at all) on my setup, and neither does Chris or Hartson. I was busy building a kit Wednesday, and didn't even check my ride height the whole night! We run the same tires, whether wetter or drier...we only adjust our driving a little. You can't try to take more than the track gives you. The track at OCRC is really consistent compared to how Socal was, and even more consistent than most tracks I have raced at. If the traction isn't super high, you can't pull full throttle out of turns and expect the car to just stick. You have to drive smooth, and 'feel' the traction that is available and 'squeeze' the throttle.

It seems like you are splitting hairs, and although you are "not complaining", you really are with some backhanded cuts at people and the track itself. We can all read into your post and see that.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

ya ya ya I am venting... and I think you and I are in a way saying the same thing. I don't have much driving experience, so when I throw a car that has been pushing onto a track and it is spinning out, I don't have the experience or skill to adjust my driving style that well under the pressure of racing and trying to go fast... heck I don't even think I have a driving style yet!\
> so I wish I could drive how i did earlier that night... U know what I mean?

so hearing that you chris and hartson have the ability and experience with a myriad of track conditions and can recognize, adjust and then start flying again is great, I can't wait to be able to do that. this has gotten blown way out of perspective
I technically am bitching, but I'm not mad at anyone or think it's stupid or anything like that is prolly what I meant. again, this was all about last night's traction and weather or not that should be a benchmark on what tires 'work' on the track.
next topic!
oh yeah, and the whole reason I've been at my computer this morning was to edit, upload and post this old school vid I found of NICK driving his T4 with my cam on it, it's an instant classic.

now I'm gonna get outta here! Peace!!!

+ YouTube Video
Old 06-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

looser every round.

what does that tell you?
Let me guess, initials of C.B?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by K_King
Let me guess, initials of C.B?
You mean the Real Slim Shady?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

THAT'S YOUR LEADER!

lol...
Old 06-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

anyone have a good setup for mod b4 on the current layout?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone have an extra RTR speed control they dont need and want to get rid of?

Ten bucks in my name to your name orrr name your price...

PM me!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So today was an interesting day at OCRC and I am curious if anyone else felt it. It seemed very loose, lighthearted and fun. The employees were chill, racers all seemed to be having fun and the program moved along smoothly. Maybe it was all in my head but something was for sure different and i enjoyed it.

Dirt - so the dirt has been on acid lately and really trippin out. I showed up today with all kinds of tires washed and ready to test. I was scared of Bar Codes cause they were like ice on Wednesday, Panther Raptors stuck really well. This is for 2WD buggy 17.5. the 13.5 guys ran in the next heat and they seemed even more stuck and were all running either Barcodes or Suburbs (same tire really right?) So next heat i threw on my barcodes and wouldn't ya know it, stuck pretty well. So the result of my informal testing was inconclusive cause stuff was working pretty well. I like the Bar Codes more than the Raptors. Setup was basically Caspers setup but 27.5 in the rear on XXX-CR, hybrid rear end. Guys that were really stuck, Frank root and Danny Stojakovic. frank had the barcodes and i am not sure what Danny had but those tires and the right setup...wow...fast..nice running guys. Danny, loved the tabletop testing during round 2 gave me a new line to try.

All in all great Fathers Day racing! the pause till the end of the Nascar race for the mains was sweet, thanks Kevin!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Someone take an in car video of the current layout. It's tough to tell any detail from the camera view.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 3.88 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.