Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree40Likes

OCRC Raceway

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 3.88 average.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Mini-z is bada$$.
I don’t know much about the mini z's except Kyosho makes um and there are actual race programs for them...
If we get enough interest I will get the transponder system for the track and have racing on Tuesday, Thursday or Saturdays. Maybe it will just be something you guys can do for fun between heats....

Well see!

RB
Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Just an FYI on the Slash conversation...

When I started racing, I raced the Bolink Legend's Spec class (I know, along time ago). The think their guidelines might be well suited for your application. Have the Motor spec, gearing, tires, car and all mechanical parts spec. Then you can change oil in the shocks, ESC, servo, RX. I think it would be a good idea to choose a spec battery pack too. Something easily available, reliable and not too expensive. The legends class did this.

Just my .02
Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Good call Root - let's set up something everyone is happy with as it's a Spec class so gotta appease the masses.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I'm all for motor, tires, and car mechanical parts spec. I think that would make the racing a lot of fun and very fair. However, I don't believe in spec battery. I already have batteries I use in other cars and I don't see the point in forking over money for something I don't need and probably won't use for anything else. I think battery should be open to all 6 cell nimh or 7.4v lipos. That way they can be easily used in other classes as well...

Gearing may be a good idea. If say it turns out that these motors make a lot of power but don't last when geared high then it would definitely help. However, policing this may be hard. Does anyone have any insight on these 550 motors?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

this was something that was posted in a different thread.. about the jimmy babcock race in camarilllo

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=4002
Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by killer89
I'm all for motor, tires, and car mechanical parts spec. I think that would make the racing a lot of fun and very fair. However, I don't believe in spec battery. I already have batteries I use in other cars and I don't see the point in forking over money for something I don't need and probably won't use for anything else. I think battery should be open to all 6 cell nimh or 7.4v lipos. That way they can be easily used in other classes as well...

Gearing may be a good idea. If say it turns out that these motors make a lot of power but don't last when geared high then it would definitely help. However, policing this may be hard. Does anyone have any insight on these 550 motors?
With no battery limit, them the easiest way to make the car better is to spend ALOT on the best batteries. Our spec class used $15 1500 batteries back in the day. Team Pack, which obviously perform better, cost $80+, or even better, a $100 + Lipo. That would be the easiest way to be let the price explode. As for policing gearing, make a template out of a flat peice of aluminum ect., because all gears in the same pitch, will be the same size per # of teeth.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jaejw1
this was something that was posted in a different thread.. about the jimmy babcock race in camarilllo

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=4002
+1 for the JBRL rules
Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tripthreat
With no battery limit, them the easiest way to make the car better is to spend ALOT on the best batteries. Our spec class used $15 1500 batteries back in the day. Team Pack, which obviously perform better, cost $80+, or even better, a $100 + Lipo. That would be the easiest way to be let the price explode. As for policing gearing, make a template out of a flat peice of aluminum ect., because all gears in the same pitch, will be the same size per # of teeth.

While I do like the idea of a spec battery like a cheap stick pack, it might cause some people to charge them at 10A and throw them out every 2 weeks. I would personally keep battery open for now. Someone will be plenty competitive with a cheap lipo. You can find them for about $40 from china or bout $80 in stores here. However, if a spec battery rule is imposed, I wouldn't complain. It would be definitely a lot of fun either way

On the gearing, I meant it might be hard to identify someone cheating without actually removing their gear cover and pinion and using a some sort of template like you mentioned.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

We need to adhere to the Traxxas SPEC rules. Thats what we are doing at HOT Rods

You must run the car as it comes out of the box... you can only change radio and reciever... oh yeah and you can use any manf. bearings and servo horn or saver.

I think for expert slash you can change whatever you want.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Regarding a Slash racing class, I would vote to let people choose their own gearing. Why?
1. Each driver has their own personal driving style and driving lines that may dictate slightly differing gearing.
2. Gears are cheap.

As for batteries, I would say to keep costs down and for entry-class safety, keep the batteries limited to NiMH, NiCad...and perhaps limit the mAh to a certain range.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

according to Traxxas rules gearing is not a huge concern- there are three legal spurs and any pinion that fits without modding can be used!

Battery rule: sub c 6 cell 7.2 either nimh or nicad and lip 2s 7.4 is also listed as legal!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

I'm sorry but I think spec servos is really lame. I'm not going to spend $40 on some lame traxxas servo that won't fit in any of my other cars. Never will happen, sorry.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Airtronic servos all the way..
Old 07-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm all for the spec class thing but Erik's right...a steering servo change must be allowed.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How about speed controls? If yours fries or "fries", do we mandate that you get another Traxxas XL-5? I'm just sayin'!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 3.88 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.