Search
Like Tree8Likes

Stomer Hobbies, Good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
See from a buyers perspective it is worthwhile, nothing is more frustrating than buying an item online, and it doesn't show up, you contact the merchant and you get the "give it 8 weeks" line, in short they don't care, they don't have any need to, they have your money.

By holding the funds, Paypal is giving the merchant a welcome nudge to make the effort to follow things up with the purchaser, the freight company, whoever.

Paypal keeps online stores accountable to the customer.
Man, you gotta shop somewhere else. I don't even think it's legal to charge an account without shipping something for 8 weeks.

Online stores, courtesy of the internet are UTTERLY accountable to the customer. Even this thread, few hours old, over 1000 views. That's accountability. I'm here, representing Stormer Hobbies, just a few minutes into it, and we're discussing policy. That's amazing! If you really step back and think about it, that's an amazing thing. I didn't need to step in, I wanted to. And I'm always glad that I do. I'm advised, almost constantly, to "Knock it off, and get off the forums, before you say something incredibly insensitive or ignorant and alienate customers". I'm here because I love what we do, I love what I do, and am VERY grateful to be a part of the hobby.

Paypal doesn't keep online stores accountable for anything. It's the stores own credibility and integrity that do that.
And they do that without a nudge from ANYBODY. If they don't do that, they're not going to be around for more than a week. Tower been around like 40 years, we're pushing 30. Those numbers are not accidents. It's because we care, and try, and do what we can when the chips are down. No company is perfect. But I think most of us try as hard as we can. And that's all you can ask of anybody, really. Don't tell me you're going to do something, TRY and do something.

Orders have tracking numbers, and signatures, and you can see something is lost or not. Why would any store drag something out for 8 weeks? It's a loss of manpower and resources every time you call and check, and likely you don't call in a good mood. Nobody wants those kinds of calls. At least here, we have to (and want to) handle those things as quickly as possible. Do they always work out that way? I'd say for the most part they do. There's gonna be some way over the top story for any merchant. It's the law of averages. Sooner or later, a bunch of planets are going to align and something is going to happen to an order. It happens. time to deal with it, and get on to the next order. You can't concentrate on the business at hand if you're busy hanging up on irritated customers all day. that's not how I want to be treated, and I think it's reasonable to assume I'm not alone in that sentiment. We do our absolute best for every customer every time. I'd like to think we all do (Tower, Amain, etc)..

Sounds like you've had some crazy experiences shopping on-line.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-02-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I can say that there is something better than Paypal in the rc industry. It is called RC Tech. That is my recourse. I have had Paypal say "there is nothing we can do" on two occasions for some BS reason they made up. If you use Pay pal you better understand their latest contractual obligations to you. As the length of time they will offer a refund, amount, etc. I have had a couple of deals go sour on here and Pay pal was less than helpful, but "airing-it-out" on this forum seem to do the trick. I am sure Bob is well aware of this. Why would he risk loosing thousand of dollars due to ripping me off for a couple of hundred? Tomorrow I am going to place an order with him and I bet his shop will be just as concerned that it arrives to me as I am. My dealings with him in the past have been superb and I am sure he wants to keep it that way. I doubt he wants a thread popping up on here saying "Stormer hobbies ripped me off". I bet if one came on here about Paypal they would never know, let alone care.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

I wouldn't hold my breath....
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Happily waiting for them to reopen to ship my tc6.1

I used to use stormer in the 90's before i left the sport.
I have decided to come back to RC racing after 11 years, I never had any problems back then, so it was the first hobby shop i went to,

Another big order on the way next week when i figure out what else i need to set up from scratch.

Beth.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by evochick
Happily waiting for them to reopen to ship my tc6.1

I used to use stormer in the 90's before i left the sport.
I have decided to come back to RC racing after 11 years, I never had any problems back then, so it was the first hobby shop i went to,

Another big order on the way next week when i figure out what else i need to set up from scratch.

Beth.
Nice! I like the TC6.1 Gonna run one myself. Seems like parts support is good too. I can sheer off a suspension arm with the best of them, so that's important.

We started categorizing parts by car to help folks out. Here's the TC6.1 parts section.
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...owt=on&omode=0
Old 01-03-2012, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

See from a buyers perspective it is worthwhile, nothing is more frustrating than buying an item online, and it doesn't show up, you contact the merchant and you get the "give it 8 weeks" line, in short they don't care, they don't have any need to, they have your money.

By holding the funds, Paypal is giving the merchant a welcome nudge to make the effort to follow things up with the purchaser, the freight company, whoever.

I used to think paypal was great and at first glance it is. Just wait your time will come.

There are two types of people in the world those who have been found out the traps of paypal and those who are going to.

Just for the record I have never sold anything with paypal I have only made purchases.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Rookie

I remember some of the first Stormer ads in RC Car Action. Probably the first, a small ad for the little motor dyno. Back in those days you didn't have the web to check with others on the reputation of a merchant. Now of course you can say what you want - good or bad. But I think Bob has worked hard in supporting the hobby. And if any of you know the size of the town Bob lives in, it would be a tough go if he only sold locally. He needs to have customers from all over and to provide good service to them. I haven't raced for years, but Bob's enthusiasm is almost enough to get a person to start again.

Originally Posted by beemerfan
This thread is a good read, especially regarding the Paypal debate from the merchant's perspective. But honestly, It's hard for me to believe this question was even asked. Then again, there has to be a first time for everything. I think my first time looking at a Stormer Hobbies ad was in RC Car Action Magazine back in the late 80s or early 90s. I wish I had a forum like this to ask questions back then.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I've ordered thru Stormer several times, never a bad experience. Fast shipping to WA!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1 Bob and the team have always provided me with a great shopping experience and prompt shipping. Never a problem.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Married blokes with joint accounts would appreciate that it's easier to build up a hobby stash in paypal than somewhere the wife can see it!
Get a Paypal Debit MasterCard linked to your paypal account! It works just like any other debit card and pulls from your paypal balance. I use it all the time to "hide" my RC purchases from my wife.

Oh yeah...Stormer Hobbies is great! Have bought from them many times over the last 20 years. Local shop is always first but Stormer gets my business when I can't make it there.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

[QUOTE=dr_hfuhuhurr;10117018] I use it all the time to "hide" my RC purchases from my wife.

I feel a little sad for all you guys that have to "hide" RC purchases. My wife and I have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. You see, her hobby is horses and there's no way I could keep up with her when it comes to spending money on my hobby.

This brings up a good topic and maybe Bob could help us out. How much does the average guy or gal spend each year on RC purchases? Hey Bob, do you have easy access to these types of numbers; without giving out personal info or course. I'd like to know if I'm above or below average.

Jim F.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm happy to see Stormer is still around. Online stores are very competitive. Newcomers don't know the history of hobbyshops too well. I started in R/C hobby in 1994, the mail order ads that were in car action magazine were from AHC, Stormer, Tower, Omni, Bruckner, and few others that I can't remember now. Used to get fantom racing stuff from Stormer and Corally stuff back in mid - late 90s. I spend about $1200 on r/c a year personally.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer

We started categorizing parts by car to help folks out. Here's the TC6.1 parts section.[/url]
That is the ticket. Now you can pull up a car and look at its parts. That helps tremendously.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

My wife doesn't really care what or how much I spend on the hobby. She know's it's obscene.

I just don't want her seeing the actual numbers (nor do I) as it might curb future spending.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
My wife doesn't really care what or how much I spend on the hobby. She know's it's obscene.

I just don't want her seeing the actual numbers (nor do I) as it might curb future spending.

Actually I think you nailed it; maybe we don't want to know how much WE spend on the hobby. Ignorance is bliss!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.