Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
EVERYONE MUST READ THIS THREAD -- SCAMMER >

EVERYONE MUST READ THIS THREAD -- SCAMMER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVERYONE MUST READ THIS THREAD -- SCAMMER

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah thats a lot of stuff for sale with only 1 post, and no pics and no trader ratings at all. Be very careful guys.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

This really makes me mad to read crap like this happening on this site. I mean most of us are here cause we love the hobby and if we want to sell something its because we want something else, at least I think this way. I've sold some stuff here, not very expensive but I personally would never take anyone for they're money. I was raised better. Shame on those that scam others but then again I always think what goes around will come around. Some day somewhere they will get what's coming to them.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Bump.

Thanks for the heads up. One of the guilty members you mentioned, kevinfortier, has a new FS post up called "Everything Must Go".

There have been at least 4 requests from members who want to make a purchase and no response from the seller.
Well it looks like he either forgot about all of his stuff for sale or was trying to scam people.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

WOW!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Just an FYI, fraud via mail is a federal crime.

Still subject to thresholds of criminality, but is still taken more "seriously" than breaking state law. (theft)

Was ripped off an eBay once thinking I was buying a Traxxas 4-Tec. Got lucky in that the tit used his real name in auctions to let people know who to make checks/money orders out to. (This is around 2004 when eBay allowed this payment method). A quick google search brought up a local paper article for Merlin Texas about some community event where a Clown (no joke) by the same name as the scammer performed. Bingo, off to the police station to file a report on him.

Came to find out I was one of about 30 he had done this to. I got in contact with some of them via eBay.

Filed a police report in Canada, got a call from dudes local police office, I let the other "victims" know this info, dude in Texas (they don't mess around down there apparently, props to the authorities down there very very helpful*) got pinched. His name is Wayne Hunstad from Merlin Texas. His estimated take in this scam was about $10k!

He was charged, 2 years later I get a check in the mail for the amount he ripped me off, a check from some corrections facility or whatever. Very slick!

I guess my point is these people with scam others, in particular via mail fraud, can be caught. Use your angry energy convincing the appropriate authorities to launch an investigation.

2.) always use a credit card to fund the purchase, this is the credit card companies money that they have given you permission to use. If you have a dispute with a transaction it's their problem (money) not yours. to say it different you're the middle man setting up a transaction between the CC company and the "supplier". This type of credit transaction boils down to the credit card company got scammed. To say it different again you are buying the product from your credit card company, you act as an "agent" setting up transactions. Of course this means don't give the CC company payment for the transaction until you are "satisfied". Worst case is challenging the CC company, refusing payment for the particular transaction, which by law didn't actually happen. NOTE: this isn't true for all credit card "contracts/agreements". Read the agreement you've signed. Another note, despite the CC agreement/contract, also check you local (state) laws. They may include an interpretation like the one above, which would supersede the CC agreement, it does get a little complicated here, as far as jurisdictions go.

There is remarkable power in number of "victims". If at all possible unite and file police reports at the same time. Let the scammer's local police department know that this involves multiple "victims". This helps get the the crime bumped up with respect to the value thresholds. (i.e. theft over $5k, $10k ect.)

What is key is knowing the persons address / identity. There are many ways to do this.

Not to get all national politics here, but America Fed Gov'ment prides itself on capitalism. This includes E-Comm. They don't take well to Joe Blow poor guy f-cking with it.

Of course scams in the hundreds of dollars aren't going to attract much attention, none the less it's still a crime and still worth doing something about.

So that's the process;
1.) find out dude's coordinates (name & address).
2.) call their local police office explain the situation.
3.) file a police report at your local police station.

Again all of that can be avoided by using a credit card companies money instead, which point the above process is for them to go through.

In addition, if not already apparent, before making payment verify the persons coordinates / identity. Easy enough to confirm nowadays.

Last edited by nitsuj; 08-27-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

got ripped off by "belt driven" $185 on a hpi cup racer
Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmiller
got ripped off by "belt driven" $185 on a hpi cup racer
This should be in the trader feedback forum. You should start your own thread about it and explain what happened so people will read it. Maybe someone can help you out.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I will use myself as an example. I'm a noob to the rctech forum. I've been on rccrawler forum for about 9 or 10 months, and a contributing (paying) member. I have excellent buyer and seller feedback on that forum.

I come to the rctech forum, since I have a 0 trader rating and just a few posts, I get the shaft because I'm a noob. I'm not going to scam people, but how do I make other members of the forum feel comfortable with buying and selling from me?
I always add pics to my for sale posts. I like giving people good deals, but I'm pricing stuff too good to be true.
That's why I like using PayPal. There's a little bit of a safety net with PayPal. I never pay, or ask people to send money orders as payment.

I hate when people ruin it for the legit noobs, like myself!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2-shot
I will use myself as an example. I'm a noob to the rctech forum. I've been on rccrawler forum for about 9 or 10 months, and a contributing (paying) member. I have excellent buyer and seller feedback on that forum.

I come to the rctech forum, since I have a 0 trader rating and just a few posts, I get the shaft because I'm a noob. I'm not going to scam people, but how do I make other members of the forum feel comfortable with buying and selling from me?
I always add pics to my for sale posts. I like giving people good deals, but I'm pricing stuff too good to be true.
That's why I like using PayPal. There's a little bit of a safety net with PayPal. I never pay, or ask people to send money orders as payment.

I hate when people ruin it for the legit noobs, like myself!
Good question... maybe with the ebay nickname?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

TTT