Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
Scammers - don't report individuals, just understand (and avoid!) their methods >

Scammers - don't report individuals, just understand (and avoid!) their methods

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree27Likes

Scammers - don't report individuals, just understand (and avoid!) their methods

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 11:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't believe closing the "Wanted" section is a solution. The "Wanted" section is very helpful. I personally had posted 2 or 3 ads there. Obviously I received few scam messages, but overall they were many legit people offering me exactly what I wanted. Making restrictions and putting down the section is not a solution. Everyone should be careful and alarmed when on internet. Also scammers here seem to follow a very common practice (as described above).
Old 06-08-2023, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

I could suggest the moderators to give a specific badge to reported scammer accounts, so they can be easily recognizable. I know that they always make new accounts, but I can see some of them have accounts 1 or 2 years old.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zeratul1
I could suggest the moderators to give a specific badge to reported scammer accounts, so they can be easily recognizable. I know that they always make new accounts, but I can see some of them have accounts 1 or 2 years old.
they just come back with another account , the best way to stop them is not give them a chance to , like not posting in the wanted section
Old 07-11-2023, 09:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hunterdawg
Wow, something sensible written about this.

RCTech can not protect you. They have posted guidance many times, but mostly ignored.
Best advice, read the rules/recommendations before posting. And do due diligence and research.
As always, CAVEAT EMPTOR.
I completely agree with you that RCTech cannot protect users from scammers. It is up to each individual to educate themselves about the potential risks and take the necessary precautions to protect themselves. Reading the rules and recommendations before posting, as well as doing due diligence and research are essential steps to safeguard oneself against scams. There are various tools available on the internet that can help verify or check someone's credibility and history. Taking advantage of these tools can provide users with an extra layer of protection and help them avoid scams and fraudulent activities.

It is important to take responsibility for one's own actions and not rely solely on the platform or other users to ensure a safe transaction. By being vigilant, asking the right questions, and verifying infos, we can reduce the likelihood of falling prey to scams.
hunterdawg likes this.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Question: Does the site/admins here not want the scammers usernames sending you DMs to “email so and so for the WTB part” reported? So they can at least delete the “scammer/bot/user” once identified?

Old 08-15-2023, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

No, they don't want these reports and these accounts will also not be banned or deleted (reasons for this have been explained multiple times) - that's one of the reasons these reports make little to no sense. Hence this thread.
Old 08-15-2023, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Lazy site owners like the inflated user bot numbers and could care less how it affects the real user here so deal with it… Got it.
nitrous36 likes this.
Old 08-16-2023, 06:05 AM
Regional Moderator

Setting a minimum post count to prevent new users from accessing the PM feature and for sale / want to buy forums would curb a lot of this. Set the minimum post count to 50?

Works for RC10Talk. Its not perfect and wont stop all scammers, but will reduce the amount of them.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

This would probably lead to a lot more posts that just say "nice" or such treasures in x number of threads...
nitrous36 and hunterdawg like this.
Old 08-16-2023, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nitrous36
Setting a minimum post count to prevent new users from accessing the PM feature and for sale / want to buy forums would curb a lot of this. Set the minimum post count to 50?

Works for RC10Talk. Its not perfect and wont stop all scammers, but will reduce the amount of them.
i mentioned that to ibrands last year and we got nothing
Old 08-16-2023, 10:36 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by DirkW
This would probably lead to a lot more posts that just say "nice" or such treasures in x number of threads...
Thats true, but it'll make them work harder. A lot of scammers are low effort, it would deter a lot of them. Plus a new member rapidly spamming the forums with 50 post in a short amount of time would out them and bring unwanted attention.

Its not a thing here, but on other forums "post whoring" would get you in trouble.

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
i mentioned that to ibrands last year and we got nothing
That sucks.
Old 08-16-2023, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nitrous36
Thats true, but it'll make them work harder. A lot of scammers are low effort, it would deter a lot of them. Plus a new member rapidly spamming the forums with 50 post in a short amount of time would out them and bring unwanted attention.

Its not a thing here, but on other forums "post whoring" would get you in trouble.

That sucks.
yeap at least the new IBrands admin assigned to us is trying to work on it 🤞
Old 08-16-2023, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Imagine how low some post counts here would be like, if people learned how to multi-quote and edit.

nitrous36 likes this.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:37 PM
Regional Moderator

The bulk of post counts here now come from people posting TTT or BUMP in their for sale threads.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

I never read those.