Wiki Posts
Search

Experience Sharing: Cost of RC in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Experience Sharing: Cost of RC in Australia

Purely putting the feelers out there, but I'm just wondering what other RC budgets look like and if the hobby really is quite expensive to run.
In the past 12 months since getting into RC after 14 years away I've raced 12th scale, Touring Cars, 2wd Buggies Nitro Touring and now back to electric touring cars which is a bit of a happy place for me.

What's prompted a post like this one is going through bank statements and really noticing what I was spending.

The experiences are different whether you race Stock 2wd up to 1/8 on road which is arguably the F1 of RC.
I know one guy who told me he buys tyres every 3 weeks and that's it but I've heard another tell me he spent over $20k a year in RC gear.

What do others think of the expense of the hobby?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Les
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by svndayNZ
Purely putting the feelers out there, but I'm just wondering what other RC budgets look like and if the hobby really is quite expensive to run.
In the past 12 months since getting into RC after 14 years away I've raced 12th scale, Touring Cars, 2wd Buggies Nitro Touring and now back to electric touring cars which is a bit of a happy place for me.

What's prompted a post like this one is going through bank statements and really noticing what I was spending.

The experiences are different whether you race Stock 2wd up to 1/8 on road which is arguably the F1 of RC.
I know one guy who told me he buys tyres every 3 weeks and that's it but I've heard another tell me he spent over $20k a year in RC gear.

What do others think of the expense of the hobby?
20k a year can't see that as being normal, I have run a nitro and electric in the past for a full season and cost me around $2000 for both, obviously that's not including the initial purchase cost of my cars etc, just ongoing like tyres, fuel, spares, a motor or two, compared to other hobbies it's not overly expensive, but very enjoyable.

Last edited by Les; 10-06-2015 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I spend on average $40 a fortnight, thats what we can afford out of the family budget with school fees, doctors etc around a couple of special needs kids. Anything above that is funded by buying and selling lots etc.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you're spending 20K a year you're doing it wrong. Spending is going to vary depending on what level you race on, but for the average club racer as a "hobby", expenses can be very minimal if you buy smart. Relative to other hobbies and sports it's quite inexpensive, especially with electric (less ongoing costs).

I've probably spent $600 on my 1/10 electrics and that includes tyres and a second hand roller, though I only race on a fortnightly basis.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:47 PM
Tech Regular

$20k neat would be $384 a week.
For any working professional even if you're on 20-30% above the national average pay grade you'd still be sinking yourself into a deep hole of debt.

Last edited by svndayNZ; 10-06-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Our worthless AU dollar is not helping.... Damn wish we were pegged to the US currency, their prices make me cry.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 AM
Tech Addict

There are people who spend stupid amounts of money, the kind of people who have to have the latest and greatest equipment, buy new tyres for each race (not events, but individual races) they buy one of every brand motor to find the best, the most expensive tools, and enough parts to start a shop.
Throw in travel expenses to all the major races and minor ones, I can see how it all gets out of hand.

The smart ones buy all of that guys reject cars, tyres and parts, and save a fortune!
Old 10-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I could easily spend a couple of thousand $$ a year if I gave into my every whim but for the last couple of years I'd tried to restrict myself to $25 a week (other than events) which given I only race on average once a month gives me about $100 a meeting so that's enough for a new motor or some tyres etc.

The real money saver is not breaking things
Old 10-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Slightly off topic since it doesn't really comment on the cost of racing.

I know of someone who set up an 'RC' bank account with scheduled deposits of $80 per week. That was the figure he decided he could afford.
Equates to $4160 per year.
If he wanted a new car, and the money was there, he could buy it. If he traveled to a big event, the money also came out of that account.
If he sold old gear, the money would go into that account to bump it up.

Not a bad idea for those looking to keep a lid on things and force a bit of control on spending.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I usually tried not to spend more than $100 per month on RC stuff.
Those budget will usually be used to replenish some items like fuel, new batteries, replacement parts, etc.
While I'm on a tight budget, I could easily spend nothing for a couple of months as long as I don't break things while I'm enjoying this hobby.
I don't think spending 20k a year is reasonable thou..
Old 10-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jedx
Slightly off topic since it doesn't really comment on the cost of racing.

I know of someone who set up an 'RC' bank account with scheduled deposits of $80 per week. That was the figure he decided he could afford.
Equates to $4160 per year.
If he wanted a new car, and the money was there, he could buy it. If he traveled to a big event, the money also came out of that account.
If he sold old gear, the money would go into that account to bump it up.

Not a bad idea for those looking to keep a lid on things and force a bit of control on spending.
I've done a lot of buying and selling lately but been criticised for not being able to settle on something. I'm a buyer by profession but I've never once made a single dollar selling old gear or on selling a second hand kit I bought.
If something isn't being used I'd rather offer it up for a fair price and another racer can get some use out of it.

My local hobby shop Hoot RC / RC arena I've spent on average $450 a month for 8 months straight and never once asked for a discount.

But going forward I'll bank my budget into a paypal account, so when you sell something it's in there, if you buy something it comes out of there.

The main reason I started this thread was it's all linked back to how few people are getting involved in this hobby. I'm trying to figure out all the reasons why.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thats what I do, it has disadvantages as well, buying and selling a lot the Post Office knows you on a first name basis and some people refuse to sell to you because they think you're trying to make a buck out of them, for me, it's simply a case of being able to race without burdening the family budget when we have other commitments that take priority. This yr I haven't taken a cent of the $40 a fortnight allocated, it's gone to reduce debt, and I've probably put a couple of thousand back in and onto debt / medical bills from selling surplus stuff. The main thing I have found is to shop smart, remember the LHS will advise you what is best based on what they have, if you want advice ask someone who is NOT sponsored or on the payroll of a store. Cash for comments has a lot to answer for and I have seen it lead many people up the garden path,
Old 10-06-2015, 08:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

I definitely think it's too expensive at the entry level.

I've only been into it for a few months, but the cash burn rate is pretty alarming. I know a lot of that comes down to experimenting to find what I'm into, and making some incorrect buying decisions that need to be corrected by repurchasing.

But, even if I'd made the correct move first time everytime, I'd still be looking at around a grand to get started in 2WD Stock.

I really think a low cost spec series of some sort would be a good thing. Something cheap and slow (I think 2WD Stock is crazy fast for an entry level).

I suggested Spec Tamiya TT02B Neo Scorcher in a thread a few weeks back, but got zero replies.

I really enjoyed Silver Can 540 Plastic Fantastic at the Vintage Festival. Something with a similar level of cost and performance, but with more modern suspension would be a good thing.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by alexfry
I definitely think it's too expensive at the entry level.

I've only been into it for a few months, but the cash burn rate is pretty alarming. I know a lot of that comes down to experimenting to find what I'm into, and making some incorrect buying decisions that need to be corrected by repurchasing.

But, even if I'd made the correct move first time everytime, I'd still be looking at around a grand to get started in 2WD Stock.

I really think a low cost spec series of some sort would be a good thing. Something cheap and slow (I think 2WD Stock is crazy fast for an entry level).

I suggested Spec Tamiya TT02B Neo Scorcher in a thread a few weeks back, but got zero replies.

I really enjoyed Silver Can 540 Plastic Fantastic at the Vintage Festival. Something with a similar level of cost and performance, but with more modern suspension would be a good thing.
I actually had a mate tell me you were looking for a buggy and I looked around a bit to find one.
But you're right Alex if you're new and it can come as a shock.
This is the point I'm making is for newcomers especially kids you look at it and go "na a PS4 game is $89 and I can play it for the next 6 months" so they stay away
I only got into RC as a kid because my dad flew planes and I found cars to be more fun.

I think a spec class needs to be introduced, but I think it needs to be done in on road.
The reason being is off road tracks these days you need some serious horse power to clear half the jumps and if you get it wrong you break bits.

I've thought of the following as a budget class:

Kit: Spec Tamiya TT02 class (you can get these for $69 USD out of Japan) only hop up permissible is ball bearings.
ESC: Hobbywing Justock $79 and most LHS here have em with deans clips.
Motor: Spec 21.5 with non adjustable timing. What brand I don't know but there has to be one.
Bodies: Need to be replica bodies (e.g Mugen NSX) this could be the only area of competitive advantage.
Batteries: LiPo with a 50c rating cut off.
FDR: restricted

This is more about racing than who has the deepest pockets.
Spec racing like HPI challenge and Tamiya cup in the US was massive for the hobby.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Kind of a different topic there, but it has been discussed in a few other threads, ultimately availability is the killer, LHS I have found are reluctant to stock something they can't make 55% mark up on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.