Experience Sharing: Cost of RC in Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience Sharing: Cost of RC in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah.... I just can't see any kid being able to fund this out of their own pocket. I really didn't expect to be at the younger end of the field in my mid 30s. You could have both major consoles and some games for what it costs to get started.

I can see the appeal of the on road TT02, but I'd even suggest limiting it to what ships in the XB RTR versions. That way there is a pretty clear "go buy this" answer. Once you specify turns and timing you have to explain them, and I think a good chunk of people drop out right there.

Regarding breakages in off-road, Plastic Fantastic bypassing the middle jump section seemed to do a good job of limiting the damage.

The appeal of off-road over on-road for me in this case is that people can practice in far more varied conditions and places. driveways, parks etc.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
Kind of a different topic there, but it has been discussed in a few other threads, ultimately availability is the killer, LHS I have found are reluctant to stock something they can't make 55% mark up on
A buyer for the biggest supermarket in the country I know about margins!

LHS sadly don't make that sort of margin, I know what margins they do make and they aren't gouging us.

However I feel from a sourcing, delivery and availability perspective I can handle it. I know 2-3 good tamiya distributors, I can source it all at cost.

How good would it be to have a class with the finals being a 4 hour le mans style race at the end of the year
Old 10-06-2015, 09:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I worked in Auto parts for 7 yrs, I've seen some varying mark ups, from 15% on oils to a cost price of a main seal on a VT Commo of $12 and a sell price of $149. The mark ups on wiper blades and globes were HUGE!

To have a spec class is pretty much the pipe dream, it would require a lot of clubs and stores getting on board and with various little sub-agendas being cast aside, and that would be the challenge, particularly from entities focused solely on profit maximisation.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

To have a state or national series, sure, but to just get some semi regular local racing going you would just need some club support right? Or am I missing something obvious?

TT02 (off-road or on-road versions) are a pretty over the counter item.. Or is it more of the spares situation you're thinking of?
Old 10-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by alexfry
To have a state or national series, sure, but to just get some semi regular local racing going you would just need some club support right? Or am I missing something obvious?

TT02 (off-road or on-road versions) are a pretty over the counter item.. Or is it more of the spares situation you're thinking of?
Most clubs will run a class if enough guys turn up to run it, all it comes down to is getting enough guys to do it.

People relate more to off road especially new racers, because when you think RC car you don't think touring car, you think buggy. Though any body that has ever shown a mate their cars will know that they look at the body "oh look at that Honda"

A Tamiya TT02 is like a toyota corolla, parts are everywhere and they are dirt cheap. I don't see that as an issue at all.

Attached is a pic of my idea
Attached Thumbnails Experience Sharing: Cost of RC in Australia-maxresdefault.jpg  
Old 10-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe make Stock Racing in the Buggy Class a Spec Speedo from Hobbyking and a Silver Can 540 motor. The racing is close the tyres don`t wear much no timing to worry about and the cars may not break so much because of the low speeds.Everyone would then have the same equipment to race with, except the choice of Buggy.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wheel Nut
Maybe make Stock Racing in the Buggy Class a Spec Speedo from Hobbyking and a Silver Can 540 motor. The racing is close the tyres don`t wear much no timing to worry about and the cars may not break so much because of the low speeds.Everyone would then have the same equipment to race with, except the choice of Buggy.
Budgets will still blow out, you'll always have the guy that insists on his socks matching his pit light. It needs to be spec chassis too.

But hobbyking electrics would be perfect
Old 10-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

They look great don't they.. And a mix of RTR and kits from what I can tell?

Just cutting down the power has a bunch of knock on effects, most obviously, the frequency and intensity of crashes.

I also think this article on the subject is worth a quick read:
RC Car Action - What happened to stock racing?/

This was the post in the Boondal thread that got me all hyped on the concept:

Originally Posted by Foggy
What a great day as usual, and what a great first turn up for the new Neo class!!
Thanks again guys and I cant wait until I can get back out there again, here's some more photos I took!

Cheers,
Foggy
Sounds like the their track beats up the TT02B pretty bad, but it might be viable on something smoother like Ryde.

(Sorry OP, I know this is getting way off topic)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

I think the topic should change to how to make racing cheaper in Australia, but that's fine what I was looping back to was the idea of how many people are staying away due to cost's.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nexxus
I worked in Auto parts for 7 yrs, I've seen some varying mark ups, from 15% on oils to a cost price of a main seal on a VT Commo of $12 and a sell price of $149. The mark ups on wiper blades and globes were HUGE!

To have a spec class is pretty much the pipe dream, it would require a lot of clubs and stores getting on board and with various little sub-agendas being cast aside, and that would be the challenge, particularly from entities focused solely on profit maximisation.
The interesting thing though is local hobby shops are being eaten alive by cheaper online stores based off shore. I'm sorry to call it like it is but it's true.

If I were losing business I'd get behind a spec class and push the living daylights out of it, because spec class means more racers, and more racers means more customers.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

To quote myself from the other thread:

It's an imperfect analogy to 1:1, but if:
LMP1 = 4WD Modified
GT-Am = 2WD Stock
Spec Miata = ???
I have a number of friends who are vaguely interested in trying this out.. Fellow nerds who like the idea of playing around with something that doesn't have a screen. But the conversation stops dead when I tell them how much it currently costs..

For that matter, I would have hit the brakes earlier if I'd known what I was in for.. Luckily I let the expenses sneak up on me in drips and drabs, and I'm properly hooked now, but it was touch and go there for a moment.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Tech Regular

To quote myself from the other thread:

I have a number of friends who are vaguely interested in trying this out.. Fellow nerds who like the idea of playing around with something that doesn't have a screen. But the conversation stops dead when I tell them how much it currently costs..

For that matter, I would have hit the brakes earlier if I'd known what I was in for.. Luckily I let the expenses sneak up on me in drips and drabs, and I'm properly hooked now, but it was touch and go there for a moment.
Exactly, I do RC because it's not an LCD display. But I told a mate his interest died long before it had even sparked.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Great topic. I started racing rc about 13 years ago and jumped in the deep end i suppose. Having disposable income and not much knowledge of the hobby i was spending heaps. LHS saying "mate your motor is stuffed time for a new one" when all it needed was new brushes etc. At one stage i was at about $200 a week chasing the win in on and off road only to walk away with a plastic trophy.
I remember the wife at one point saying "u spent 7k last quarter" and i was like. Yeah but i needed the stuff i bought.
I have recently stopped chasing the 1st place and started having fun racing instead of letting the compitition consume me and have cut my spending by a shit load. Got back to bashing local parks with my son and having a ton of fun. Sorry to sound like an AA confession but i think sometimes some of us let this hobby consume us and it almost becomes an addiction which takes the fun away from it. Hell I've seen friendships go bad over toy cars!
Set a budget, stick to it and have fun.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

I know it's pretty easy to tick off an "addiction checklist" with this hobby.
But some friends of mine recently brought it to my attention that I was also checking off something like 6 out of 7 on the government's recent "signs of Radicalization checklist".

Although, they were trying to make a case that I should stop spending my evenings dorking around with toy cars, and join them for some murder simulation in CounterStrike.