Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree13Likes

KNOX Offroad Vic

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As everyone knows, I love my 22 and 22t, more so now that I have learnt to drive around corners but jeez I'd love to spend the dough if I had it and start checking out some of the high end, Durango, Kyosho and Shumacher cars. They just look the goods don't they? Even the Tamiya's look nice.

I'd advise anyone to buy a kit, you usually get all the racing bits you need that you'll end up buying in 6 months anyway.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ant73
As everyone knows, I love my 22 and 22t, more so now that I have learnt to drive around corners but jeez I'd love to spend the dough if I had it and start checking out some of the high end, Durango, Kyosho and Shumacher cars. They just look the goods don't they? Even the Tamiya's look nice.

I'd advise anyone to buy a kit, you usually get all the racing bits you need that you'll end up buying in 6 months anyway.
+1, I would agree in buying a kit rather than a RTR if you've also got a decent transmitter (assuming it's 2.4), just check you can still get a receiver for it.

In the Losi 22 kit the only other thing I would change would be the diff. The 22 kit comes with a ball diff and the RTR is a geared diff. Personally, I don't want to be rebuilding diffs all the time so I'm quite happy with a geared diff. For a noobie like my I probably wouldn't notice the difference other than more time on the workbench doing maintenance.

Like I mentioned, come down tonight for a yarn, you're welcome to take my car for a spin on the grass (if it's dry) so you can get a feel for it if you like.
I'll try be there around 5:30 so probably only get one battery pack run time anyway.

Cheers,
Liam.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ant73

Ant you know you want a schumacher cat just do it
Its only the dept of sh*# your in and so do it you might go faster who knows
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Fiik,

If you bring your own transmitter and reciver this weekend, you can run one of my spare RB5's in Novice, set up with a 17.5 - I can throw some used tyres on it, and your good to go. Anything that you could break on it, I will have spares for.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Raven Mad
Hi Fiik,

Welcome to Knox. No offence but the buggy you are eyeing off would not be race legal. It is too wide, bit too long and the 1/8 tyre size is too big. You will also find that most rtr setups have sensorless systems in them which are only
good for mod classes on club days.

If you have a good radio already, you would be better of buying a kit and your choice of motor and speedy. As mick said come down and have a look before you buy.

Also consider your Brand choice as if you wish to expand your fleet, the same brand have alot of interchangeable parts etc.

Have a look on the Keilor website,
they have links to all the rules and regs you are after.

Cheers

Spudley, Losi dont have a 4WD buggy. just another let down
Thanks for the information. Luckily I didn't order that buggy!
Very good point, it makes the most sense for me to buy a kit and put what I want on it as opposed to just going with any RTR.
I will make a kit then! I have mechanical experience and I like building things so I guess it'd be heaps of fun too!

Originally Posted by SPUDLEY
Hey fiik, I get what you mean how you dont want to just blend into the crowd, but sometimes It can work to your benefit in the sense of of aftermarket parts availability. A lot of the time even if you break something on race day you may find someone with spares in the pits that will often have a part you need so you're not going home with broken buggy in hand.
Also if you buy a well used platform (AE B4 or Losi 22 probably most popular), there's plenty of people around to help you with the setup in getting it handling right.
Everyone is really friendly in the pits on race days so dont be afraid to ask for help. If you haven't purchased a car by then, ask for suggestions and advice. Guys with 2-3 cars have probably much more experience than those with 1.

Cheers,
Liam.
Very true Liam! I'll most likely buy a AE kit or Losi kit.
What about the Durango DEX210? Are they popular at all?
Because it seems to be a little lighter on the wallet in kit form? And I can order it from Tower Hobbies because they have a sale as compared to A Main.
Or the DEX410RV3 (the 4wd version, same price).

+1, I would agree in buying a kit rather than a RTR if you've also got a decent transmitter (assuming it's 2.4), just check you can still get a receiver for it.

In the Losi 22 kit the only other thing I would change would be the diff. The 22 kit comes with a ball diff and the RTR is a geared diff. Personally, I don't want to be rebuilding diffs all the time so I'm quite happy with a geared diff. For a noobie like my I probably wouldn't notice the difference other than more time on the workbench doing maintenance.

Like I mentioned, come down tonight for a yarn, you're welcome to take my car for a spin on the grass (if it's dry) so you can get a feel for it if you like.
I'll try be there around 5:30 so probably only get one battery pack run time anyway.

Cheers,
Liam.
I'll definitely be getting a kit now. I've thought about it thanks to you guys and it makes the most sense. It comes with a couple of telemetry sensors and a receiver (all 2.4 - quite a pricey transmitter) so I think it will be perfect for racing. Cheers! I'll most likely come down tonight and say hi. I'm 21 so look for the young looking, chocolate dude.

Originally Posted by kiwitim
Fiik,

If you bring your own transmitter and reciver this weekend, you can run one of my spare RB5's in Novice, set up with a 17.5 - I can throw some used tyres on it, and your good to go. Anything that you could break on it, I will have spares for.

Cheers,

Tim
Sound kind of frightening hahaha.
Wow just too kind. I will see how I go and let you know!
Thanks!!

Last edited by fiik; 04-29-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Tech Adept

Because it seems to be a little lighter on the wallet in kit form? And I can order it from Tower Hobbies because they have a sale as compared to A Main.

Try metro hobbies in boxhill 98901144 dave has SCHUMACHER, AE, LOSI,TLR ,TAMIYA,TRAXIS, can get kyosho and maybe DURANGO his pricing is good you realy need to check his shop ouy got all the spares aswell backs the products raelly well. The internets is not always cheaper and it keeps the money in australia so we can get parts in a couple days not weeks
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SH111

Try metro hobbies in boxhill 98901144 dave has SCHUMACHER, AE, LOSI,TLR ,TAMIYA,TRAXIS, can get kyosho and maybe DURANGO his pricing is good you realy need to check his shop ouy got all the spares aswell backs the products raelly well. The internets is not always cheaper and it keeps the money in australia so we can get parts in a couple days not weeks
Alright awesome, wasn't aware of it! Checked his website, looks pretty good.
Yeah most of the hobby shops I've been to have just the generic HPI, Traxxas stuff and not much else. Metro will definitely help!
It'll save shipping too.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Adept

there's a few guys around the pits with durango and schuies, but no where near the amount of AE and Losi.
As for spare parts, if you do a bulk order of all the breakables you'll save shipping, especially if you're going to order bits to complete a kit, like tyres, motor, speedy, etc.
If I'm on a budget or impatient, I'll go to metro for parts for my 22, Matteo knows his shit and carries most parts in stock for it.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Tech Adept

there's a few guys around the pits with durango and schuies, but no where near the amount of AE and Losi.
As for spare parts, if you do a bulk order of all the breakables you'll save shipping, especially if you're going to order bits to complete a kit, like tyres, motor, speedy, etc.
If I'm on a budget or impatient, I'll go to metro for parts for my 22, Matteo knows his shit and carries most parts in stock for it.
You really need to check the prices on TLR parts at metro i have not found it any cheaper to buy from the net overseas the pricing is right no postage and you get warranty if the stuff is faulty try that oversaes and not have to cover the shipping cost. They are just a phone call away and cannot hide behind a keyboard when something becomes to hard. This is what i have found to be great service in our backyard but i think the internet has changed all of us so much we dont seem to investegate what is availible right here in our own busines comunity this is why the country is going to shit.
Please dont take offence to my comments not directed at ant one person
Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Tech Initiate

You really need to check the prices on TLR parts at metro i have not found it any cheaper to buy from the net overseas the pricing is right no postage and you get warranty if the stuff is faulty try that oversaes and not have to cover the shipping cost. They are just a phone call away and cannot hide behind a keyboard when something becomes to hard. This is what i have found to be great service in our backyard but i think the internet has changed all of us so much we dont seem to investegate what is availible right here in our own busines comunity this is why the country is going to shit.
I completely agree with trying to keep our money within the country.
But sometimes the local hobby shops charge a fortune for very simple things and even though we wish to keep the money internally we financially cannot. It simply is a case of what we can afford, not that we disagree with keeping businesses running locally. And yeah, that's the gamble with international orders although most of the parts really cannot go wrong (tyres, chassis plates etc) not like it's a computerized device which could arrive DOA.
If a hobby shops prices are reasonable and they continually contribute to assisting customers I will no doubt help the business by being a regular.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Try metro hobbies in boxhill 98901144
+1 for Metro Hobbies, they are all very helpful and the prices are very reasonable especially since you can get stuff right now rather than waiting.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Tech Adept

i agree mate, as I said, it's only worth doing if you're already doing an online order for things like motor and speedy. might save a couple bucks here and there, but usually metro are pretty competitive on price compared to the net.

I work in the online auto parts industry, so I know a lot of people are tending to swing to that way of buying. i came from auto parts in a retail store which was dying, and now working for the biggest auto retailer on eBay (over 60,000 listings) and soon expanding overseas.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ray_munday
Hey guys,

any update on the track rebuild? Is it going ahead?

Looking forward to running at the track again before the Knox Cup!

Ray
Hi Ray,
the working bee got canned for some reason.
getting in a bit of practice at Knox would be advisable, its pretty bumpy!
there's a jem of a bump at the timing hut which turns buggies into UFO's!!!
OK, no more "secrets" but it will be a good Knox cup this year.
I think Team Hack is even going to enter.....to make up numbers

cheers

Dan
Old 04-30-2013, 05:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fiik
Alright awesome, wasn't aware of it! Checked his website, looks pretty good.
Yeah most of the hobby shops I've been to have just the generic HPI, Traxxas stuff and not much else. Metro will definitely help!
It'll save shipping too.
G'day fiik, Welcome to knox.
Also R.A.B Hobbies in parkdale (next to Mentone) has a good stock on AE stuff or Perth rc, both have websites
Old 04-30-2013, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fiik
I completely agree with trying to keep our money within the country.
But sometimes the local hobby shops charge a fortune for very simple things and even though we wish to keep the money internally we financially cannot. It simply is a case of what we can afford, not that we disagree with keeping businesses running locally. And yeah, that's the gamble with international orders although most of the parts really cannot go wrong (tyres, chassis plates etc) not like it's a computerized device which could arrive DOA.
If a hobby shops prices are reasonable and they continually contribute to assisting customers I will no doubt help the business by being a regular.
Just checked some losi TLR22 SCT parts prices spare that you would proberly buy wear items or breakage

TLR2103 A ARMS METRO 10.99 AMAIN 9.99
TLR SPRINGS METRO 4.99 AMAIN 4.59
TLR1057 CASTER BLOCKS METRO 5.99 AMAIN 5.49
TLR1107 SPINDLE SET METRO 5.99 AMAIN 5.49
TLR SWAY BAR SET METRO 17.99 AMAIN 14.49
TLR1056 STEERING RACK SET METRO 8.99 AMAIN 8.25
TLR1557 SERVO HORN ALLOY METRO 9.99 AMAIN 9.25
METRO 64.93 NO POSTAGE
AMAIN 57.55 WOOOHOO I SAVED 7.38 OH FORGOT POSTAGE AND AT LEAST A FEW WEEKS WAITING

THINK METRO IS A BETTER DEAL AND IT KEEPS SOMEONE IN A JOB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.