Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMA Night Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Cheers thanks Nick, i need to test if the sphere really is broken or not. Im hoping its something minor like the cap has blown, or something is up with the motor.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mangoman
I think my sphere is dead (pulled the stoopid tekin out) so i might not be able to do much.

BTW craig you didnt like the swallow charger?
Yeh I want something with adjustable delta peak and a discharge greater than 1A. These are just the first items in a bigger sale though
Old 02-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NickM
Yup, I'm in. For the first time in ages, I'm gonna come down and give you guys a walloping on a Tuesday night. Get the first place trophy ready...
damn! good field already and i cant make it
Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
damn! good field already and i cant make it

Doh!
Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

What class AB? (If it's anything more powerful than 540, I hope you have plenty of spare dogbones )
13.5. It should be OK at Tempe as quite a few people have raced S400's at SMA without trouble (especially CV's).
I am treating the race meet as a bit of a test session. New car, new radio and new motor and i have not used it in anger as yet.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

what's a good starting rollout for a 3.5?

p.s. did you guys get to race last night?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

p.s. did you guys get to race last night?
Apparently about 23mm you might want to try slightly lower though it will have heaps more rip than the 4.5
Actually maybe start at 21 or 22mm

And i finished first last night. Hiroshi was second last :P
Old 02-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

No racing last nite. The court had a few deep pudles of water on it.

Im using a 3.5 brushless in my 008. Just had to go up 8 teeth on the pinon as i had it geared WAY to low. Something like a 18mm rollout instead of 23mm. I would suggest starting with that, go to gearchart.com and see what pinon you need. tire diameter is 63mm

P.S 3.5 5 cell is WICKED fast
Old 02-13-2008, 12:39 AM
H I
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mangoman
And i finished first last night. Hiroshi was second last :P
Best second last ever!! $70 worth that is. (we talkig about porker)
Old 02-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Tech Addict

You've upgraded already, Craig? You subscribe to my philosophy then: too much is never enough!

I've been running 19mm; did at Lithgow also. Not as much speed as you on the straight as I recall, but still more than adequate, and no issues with runtime with crap batteries and thermalling (which I was getting every run at Illawarra, although I now realise the fan on my speedy was on its way out)... I had about the same top speed as a bunch of the mod guys, so i wasn't alone in being conservative with the gearing. Infield speed was excellent.

There's no way of stretching the 3.5's legs at tempe, so I prefer to have maximum infield punch. I'm running the shortest gearing I can fit in the cyclone. Even with short gearing it doesn't top out on our small straight...
Old 02-13-2008, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Im pretty sure 19mm is too low for an orion's optimal gearing. You would probably run 19mm for 6 cells although that would probably be on the tall side anyway. Are you sure the top mod drivers were running that low a rollout at lithgow.

The track itself adds about 2-3mm to your optimal rollout straight up, and it would also explain why you had so much pickup off the line.
Gearing for 5 cell is also higher than 6 cell usually starting at around 2-3 teeth higher.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Tech Addict

Mine's a Novak, although it's probably too low for that also. Mainly I was trying to: a. make runtime with crappy old packs, b. not thermal as I had been at Illawarra, and c. not go too fast! (My 19t times were faster in every run than mod, so the slower the better really...)

The top three mod at lithgow were nowhere to be seen for me, and I know Craig was faster in a straight line. But a bunch of the others were about my speed, as we ran together down the straight.

What do you mean the track adds 2-3mm? And why do you gear up for 5 cell?

Last edited by NickM; 02-13-2008 at 01:41 AM. Reason: forgot thermal
Old 02-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Tech Champion

You've upgraded already, Craig? You subscribe to my philosophy then: too much is never enough!
The 4.5 is Martins and I hate borrowing gear so I've got Pat to order me an Orion 3.5... but yeah I figure while I'm buying a motor it might as well be the hottest one around. I think my new harris packs wont have runtime issues but i need to get a discharge tray ASAP to keep them in good shape

$$$

I'm also selling the xray if anyone wants it, thinking of joining team s-s-s-serpent
Old 02-13-2008, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

The top three mod at lithgow were nowhere to be seen for me, and I know Craig was faster in a straight line. But a bunch of the others were about my speed, as we ran together down the straight.
Craig was running a 4.5 so he shoudnt have been faster than you.
Most i think adam was running a 4.5 too, not sure what dave had under the hood, mine had the crappy tekin so you shoulda been faster than me too.....

What do you mean the track adds 2-3mm?
Big track means big rollout. Im sure you werent running the usual 28-29mm rollout on your 19T motor. Either that or you wouldve been seriously slow.

And why do you gear up for 5 cell?
Because you do.... do you think less voltage on the motor would make it run just as hard. To me less voltage means less work on the motor so why not gear up accordingly. It works for me but if you prefer to leave the gearing the same that is your choice.... **SHRUG**
Old 02-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Tech Adept

Craig grab the new Xray, i can vouch for it. The car is amazing (good enough to beat ya all on Tuesday nites )

If ya need a discharge tray i believe you can not go past the Much More Unit. Does a 30 amp pulse discharge and looks after ya cells perfectly for you. A bit pricey but worth it.

Try to aim for a roll out for smaller tracks (single court Tempe) of about 21 - 22mm, for bigger tracks (Lithgow) 23mm and for Moorebank i would say 2.5 and 21mm.

Martin, i changed the gearing today at work (from 16mm to 23mm) and OMG it was so much better. Amazing power out of the thing. Still had insane punch, but i was driving on the street outside work, sitting next to cars doing 60km/h, keeping up with them at 1/3 throttle. Mash the throttle and it just left them for dead. As a guess getting up to 80 - 90kmh... 23mm would be for bigger style tracks, gonna drop it down to 21 for Tempe, older single court Tempe im thinking 20mm. for Fairy Meadow im gonna try 21-22 see what it does

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.