Wiki Posts
Search

"Try being shot"

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default "Try being shot"

I know this is completely off topic but I thought I would share a little story about Stanley George Phillips (April 1928 – 9 June 2005).

Today I attended the funeral of Stan and his son told a story that helped put a few things in perspective for me. Just thought I would share it with you.

Stan was born in Australia in 1928 and moved to England when he was young with his family. In 1952 he volunteered to serve in the British Armed Forces. He trained as a paratrooper and SAS soldier. After serving for five years he was shot and injured in battle and after recovering was discharged as he was no longer fit for duty. He returned to Australia and worked as air conditioning fitter in hi rise buildings. However his injuries forced him into early retirement where he eventually started to carve wood to keep himself busy.
Stan was a larikan always after a laugh. He never let any thing get him down and was always making the people around him laugh. Even after being told he had stomach cancer and would be lucky to live another three months he still managed to crack a joke.

In the later years of Stan’s life he lived next door to Ian. Each afternoon Ian would visit Stan in his shed for a drink and a chat. One afternoon after Ian had a particularly bad day he came home and didn’t go and see Stan. Later that evening Stan payed Ian a visit to ask him why he didn’t come for a drink. Ian told him exactly what went wrong with his day to which Stan replied “so you had a bad day. So what. Try being shot?”

So next time you get hacked, your wheel falls off or your transponder fails remember it could be a lot worse and most definitely is for someone else. The only reason we began playing with these toy cars was for fun and that is the only reason we should continue in this hobby.

R.I.P Stan
Lest We Forget
Old 06-14-2005, 03:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Big Stan

A true stand up no fancy bells and wistles Australian "LEGEND"
Old 06-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bigtez
"..So what. Try being shot?”
i'm gonna put this on my RC bodies from now on
i'll post a pick for my latest electric bod.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Here, here bigtez at least there is still a few people that realize it's fun to race these car. FUN FUN FUN. See ya friday night bigtez. Can bet my bottom dollar this coming Friday nights racing will be fun with the debute of the new car for one of crews new car.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Can't wait. Someone else to get in the way of the hacker and slow him down before he gets to me. LOL