Car Selection Help

Old 04-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Car Selection Help

Hey, im looking at getting into ep on roads down here in tassie, so i have to start out in the targa class so thats 540 engines.

Just wondering what is avaliable and recomended in car choice? i dont want to spend massive ammounts of money but dont want a bad car either

thanks Topher(or seamus)
Old 04-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Tech Regular

Arrow

Xray T1- R , FK04 ,FK05
Tamiya- 415, 415ms
Corally -RDX
Hpi - pro 4

i think these cars are the favourites
Old 04-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by StasI
Xray T1- R , FK04 ,FK05
Tamiya- 415, 415ms
Corally -RDX
Hpi - pro 4

i think these cars are the favourites
someone is selling a fk04 for $290 on these forums. i'd recommend this as it is also proven in mod if you want to move up...try and get it for $250. it's the old model anyway still excellent though. ask for pics of the cvd hub (these tend to warp severley. if they are warped very bad the bearing is almost impossible to remove) also get some pics of the rear diff outdrives (make sure these are not overly worn out. along with a pic of the belts. make sure they are not frayed or folding over.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The best bet when you're starting out is to pick something that's popular at your club and supported by local hobby shops. If that applies to any of the main competitive brands then that's the answer to your question.

Examples of cars that might suit if supported and popular locally include Schumacher Mi2, HPI Pro 4, Tamiya 415, Associated TC3/TC4, Losi XXX-S, Yokomo SD/BD, XRay T1 or FK, Corally RDX.

There are literally a dozen or more cars that will be competitive in 540 (and stock/modified for that matter) - so go with something you can get help and parts for.

Cheers
Old 04-12-2005, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

shumacher Mi2 there ok 450 buks for a fibre glass one and 600 buks for a carbon fibre
Old 04-12-2005, 05:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Give the Guys a Break

Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
someone is selling a fk04 for $290 on these forums. i'd recommend this as it is also proven in mod if you want to move up...try and get it for $250. it's the old model anyway still excellent though. ask for pics of the cvd hub (these tend to warp severley. if they are warped very bad the bearing is almost impossible to remove) also get some pics of the rear diff outdrives (make sure these are not overly worn out. along with a pic of the belts. make sure they are not frayed or folding over.
VWO,

Please give the guys a break . . .

The guy selling his car does not need a newbie asking a hudred questions about a second hand car thats already at the right price.

To the newbie, see your local hobby store. If you build up a 23 year relationship like I have with my LHS they will always look after you.

A Tamiya TA04 is a good first car if you have limited set up knowledge, and is cheap to run with plenty of hot up parts.

The XRay, RDX, Pro4 etc would be a great car to purchase later in your Model Motor Racing career.

Cheers,

IDM

www.smaracing.org
Old 04-12-2005, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Give the Guys a Break

Originally posted by The Ideas Man
The guy selling his car does not need a newbie asking a hudred questions about a second hand car thats already at the right price.
allright man thought i'd only suggest it don't get the fk dude get a tamiya ta04. just weigh up the cost for a new tamiya ta04 and a used pro kit xray...have a long hard look.

regarding being a newbie and setup skills, these are all things that can be learnt from a fellow racer at the track. the best scenario is when you have a problem with your car and the car is tunable enough for that problem to be "tweeked" out. the worst scenario is to have a tweeked car and not being able to tweek it out cus you have limited adjustability. if you are 12+ years of age a pro car shouldn't be hard to use. just approach the setup in a methodical sense with a list of things to do, (again a racer at the track can help you) it shouldn't be so bad.

if a ta04 has all the adjustments of a xray or close to it (ie camber toe, droop ride height) well then why not go with the better car?? not sure about the beginner cars now adays but i remember back in my newbie days i had a rs4 nitro car that had no droop adjustments this is a major tuning feature (ie weight transfer). all cars need these basic elements.

i only suggested the used fk kit cuz i had my eye on it and thought it was a pritty good deal. if i hadn't ordered spare parts already i would of snapped it up!

Last edited by VenomWorldOrder; 04-12-2005 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Tech Adept

i thinik a great 1st onroad is something brand new so you can build it and get a bit of wrenching experience...i think a tc4 is a great starting point....they are going to be fast for the next 3years (atleast) and factory team is only a couple of months away if that. just look at the tc3 im still using one and its historic and yet its still daaaaaaaym fast...what other 4 year old car can still win big races in the states??
Old 04-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I believe the Xray T1R would be the best choice for a beginner,

nearly as cheap as a new TA04 and heaps better quality,
Old 04-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Addict

What ever you do DONT go for a TA04 type newbie car.If your going racing get the best chassis you can afford so that you won't have to change it once you move out of novice.I made that mistake with my son.When I decided I didn't want to wrench only,I bought myself a top level Yokomo.It ends up saving you money in the long run and you get to learn how to set up a top level car from the word go. my 2c worth.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Tech Rookie

yeah, i wanted to get a kit so i learn about it while i build it.

Ive been offered a ta04 2nd hand for $150 with a 540 motor.

Where are some cheap shops online i can order from? or atleast get price guides from?

Thanks for the input guys keep it coming
Old 04-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Topher
yeah, i wanted to get a kit so i learn about it while i build it.

Ive been offered a ta04 2nd hand for $150 with a 540 motor.

Where are some cheap shops online i can order from? or atleast get price guides from?

Thanks for the input guys keep it coming
you can go shop OS, or buy from a local hobby shop. i would recommend leaving shops like hobbyco as the place for small urgent parts. shops like www.rchobbies.com.au are very competitive. i've plugged them heaps of times but that's cuz they have good prices.

i found these to be pritty cheap OS shops. remember to all prices you have to add a $40 to $50 australian delivery charge if you buy OS.

http://rc-mushroom.com/
http://www.thercshack.com/
http://www.hobbymania.com.hk/

australian online store with cheap next day $12 delivery:
www.rcaddict.com.au VERY GOOD PRICES! but little choice....don;t go tamiya

there are other stores like kelletts at liverpool and dei rossi at campbeltown, but i don't think they can match the prices rchobbies in petersham have to be honest with you.

it's tempting to shop OS, and i would recommend it. at the end of the day, if you are like me you will still spend a sh1t heap of money at your local store on parts, paint bodies etc.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

If possible, go down to your local track on race day and have a look at the cars racing there.
Have a chat to the drivers and try and dont be afraid to ask questions about the car/s that appeal to you.
The more info you can muster, the better you`ll be prepared when it comes to purchasing your new car.
Cheers
Old 04-15-2005, 03:18 AM
Tech Addict

Default car choice

im my opinion a great car to get is a yokomo mr4tc (belt or shaft whateva u prefer, belt in my opinion) there an awsome car cheap, easy to drive and balistic at even 540
Old 04-15-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Give the Guys a Break

Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
. the best scenario is when you have a problem with your car and the car is tunable enough for that problem to be "tweeked" out. the worst scenario is to have a tweeked car and not being able to tweek it out cus you have limited adjustability.

VWO,

for someone who has been in the hobby for so long, i would've thought you'd know better.

Wheres the point in getting a car that has trillions of adjustments just so that you can use these adjustments to untweak the car.

Why is the car tweaked in the first place??

In my opinion, a car that has more adjustments will double your chances of the car handling incorrectly.

I remember when i first started with a TC3, and my mate would always beat me around the track with his TL01. Why?? Cuz its like putting a 'L' plate driver in a F1 car.

Topher,
You should consider IDM's advice......or if your willing to bite the bullet, the XRayT1R is a great semi-advanced car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.