Search

Disabled friendly Race Stand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Disabled friendly Race Stand?

Hello all...

after a bit of direction or pics of how i should go about making a race stand wheel chair friendly?

I am going to use a 40' sea container which is 2.6m high.. I therefore need to build a ramp to get up there.. I have no idea where to even start.

I placed this in australian racing in case there may be some differences in legislation from USA.

I remember someone building one a few years back with pics, but cant find any info..

Cheers

Stangas
Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Iam sure some disabled organisations websites could tell you the gradient that you would have to achieve to get this right
Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I believe the Cairns Rc club has a ramp on their container , might be able to get some info or photos from them
Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

a ramp of 1 in 16 to 1 in 20 is prefered, that would mean approx 40 mt ramp at 1 in 16 Plus level areas every 5 - 6 meters

1 in 12mts can be used for short runs
Old 08-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Tech Addict

cheers guys...

will keep looking..

i did find the 1 in 16 section, hadnt found the level areas every 5 - 6m tho
i also found something about the surface being a rating of coarseness

i think i will give some government agencies on monday to get the exact details..
Old 08-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Lift

I have seen a few threads on this subject and thought I might finally offer up a suggestion.
(Mind you this only works if you can supply mains type water pressure.) My brother had a water lift on a house he bought and though it was old it worked great. He had an older couple living down the street living in a high set house and they were looking like having to sell because they were finding it too hard to climb the steps. He dismantled his lift and installed it for them. He said it is very easy to do.
If you could find one it might be a cheaper and easier solution.

Terry
Old 08-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/australi...er-stands.html

Hope this helps
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

awesome.. cheers for the link..

i knew there was one somewhere.. just couldnt find it
Old 08-05-2012, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Ramp Design

These may help.

Drivers stand extension shows 3 meters wide but this was due to the width of the current stand floor.

Extension width can be modified to 2.4m which would be same width as a shipping container and would allow 2400x1200mm flooring sheets.

Cheers
Attached Files

Last edited by InfieldRacer; 08-05-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
THERE IS A LOT TO CONSIDER WHEN BUILDING RAMPS SO THAT THEY COMPLY AND MEET CERTIFICATION, BELOW IS AN EXTRACT FROM AS1428-1.2009.

AS1428-1.2009 (CURRENTLY BEING UPDATED)

Ramps

OBJECTIVE
To provide easy and safe access between levels

DESCRIPTION
Pathways that are sloping are defined by their gradients. These
are expressed in ratios of height over distance. A ramp is a
sloping pathway with gradients between 1 in 14 and 1 in 20 and
require kerbs and handrails on both sides. For pathways with a
gradient above 1: 20 the ground abutting the side of the walkway
must extend out level to a distance of 600 mm on either side, if
not then a wall with a handrail and kerb must be provided on one
side (AS 1428.1 Clause 5.2).

DESIGN REQUIREMENTS
Ramp Gradient
The maximum gradient of a ramp is 1 in 14 (AS1428.1 5.3) and is to be consistent between landings. The cross fall shall not exceed 1 in 40 (AS1428.1 clause 5.6).

RAMP WIDTH
Given their public use, the minimum clear width of the ramp between handrails is to be 1200 mm (AS 1428.2 Clause 8.1). 1800 mm is preferred as it is the width of the
Accessible Pedestrian Network and allows two wheelchairs to pass.

LANDINGS
The minimum length of landings shall be:
• 1200 mm if the ramp continues in the same direction (AS1428.1 Clause 5.7 Fig 1),
• 1330 mm if ramp turns 90º, and,
• 1540 mm wide and 2070 mm long if ramp turns 180º (AS1428.2 Clause 6.2).
Landings shall be spaced at a maximum of 9 m for a gradient of 1 in 14 and 14 m for 1 in 19 m.

THE SCORC CLUB (SUNSHINE COAST QLD) IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON DESIGNS AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS TO ADDRESS OUR PROPOSED SUBMISSION FOR A NEW DRIVERS STAND TO COUNCIL.

THERE ARE ALSO CLAUSES IN THE ABOVE STANDARDS FOR ELEVATORS AND LIFTS THAT WOULD REQUIRE YOUR ATTENTION BEFORE YOU START.

HOPE THIS HASN'T SCARED YOU OFF AND IS OFFERED ONLY AS A TOOL FOR THOUGHT IN STARTING YOU OFF ON THE RIGHT FOOT.

PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF ALL DRIVERS STANDS IN AUSTRALIA ACTUALLY COMPLY WITH EITHER THE AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS OR THE BCE STANDARDS (CERTIFIER'S STANDARDS) TO AND AS SUCH ARE UN INSURABLE IN THE EVENT OF A SLIP OR FALL WHICH WOULD OPEN THE DOOR FOR MAJOR LAW SUITS AGAINST CLUBS AND THE PROPERTY OWNERS.

BEST REGARDS
Old 08-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

awesome information guys..

thank you very much G & K..
nobody is being scared away, infact i was fully expecting these sort of requirements

InfieldRacer: that drawing... is it fully compliant? was it built? can i use it for future reference or even application to our shire?

ps... i have a local just donate the sea containers.. so it is looking very positive.

Last edited by Stangas; 08-05-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
THE DWG THAT INFIELD RACER SUBMITTED IS UNFORTUNATELY NOT COMPLIANT, GOING BY THE MEASUREMENTS AVAILABLE THE RAMP IS AT APPROX 8° IT SHOULD BE 4°.

OTHER POINTS TO NOTICE IS THAT NO BOTTOM RAIL IS AFFIXED TO GUIDE THE WHEELCHAIR WHEELS AS REQUIRED, BUT MAY HAVE BEEN FITTED AFTERWARDS. THE TURNAROUND PLATFORM IS UNDER WIDTH AND THE RAMP WIDTH SHOULD BE 1200mm BETWEEN THE HAND RAILS AND NOT THE CENTRE LINES.

BEST REGARDS
Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G & K
THE DWG THAT INFIELD RACER SUBMITTED IS UNFORTUNATELY NOT COMPLIANT, GOING BY THE MEASUREMENTS AVAILABLE THE RAMP IS AT APPROX 8° IT SHOULD BE 4°.

OTHER POINTS TO NOTICE IS THAT NO BOTTOM RAIL IS AFFIXED TO GUIDE THE WHEELCHAIR WHEELS AS REQUIRED, BUT MAY HAVE BEEN FITTED AFTERWARDS. THE TURNAROUND PLATFORM IS UNDER WIDTH AND THE RAMP WIDTH SHOULD BE 1200mm BETWEEN THE HAND RAILS AND NOT THE CENTRE LINES.

BEST REGARDS
yes that may be correct and we can all agree 4deg is going to make your ramp very very long and very very expensive so in our case we have known council built ramps around town that are actually more like 10deg and had well displayed signage so approval was granted on the same grounds
other thoughts would be to go stairs and a basic lift type system does away with a ramp alltogether but here is a pic just in case cheers

hot tip get to know your local councillor
also notice the door to the container is open just incase we have a runaway

Last edited by aussies1129; 08-06-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes G & K is correct, requirements for ramp access nowdays is way overkill for what is needed for the particular application and is why most drivers stand access ramps do not comply and are eventually thrown in the too hard basket, mainly due to the cost to comply, which is unfortunate for the wheelchair user.

Ramp design may need a few modifications to be compliable, its amazing what signage can do nowdays? for example we have more than a few local council walking paths that are well over 10 degrees and "were" signed with a "no wheelchair" sign as the path did not meet certification, this was deemed to be discriminatory and now the signage has been changed to an "assisted wheelchair sign" and the path has remained the same?

I was lucky to have correspondence with a local councillor in our area that is a wheelchair user and gave me a few interesting points on the subject and also politics, unjustifiable hardship was one that I found very interesting.

Ramp was built and is in the middle of being complied by a private certifier.

You are welcome to use those plans but no guarantees it will pass cert, best bet is to arm yourself with the compliance regs and have a look around your own shire or town for where council are not in compliance "you will be surprised", even look at how council have loop holed that issue as council have budgets too.

As aussies1129 has stated get to know your local councillor.

If you need any other info please feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers
Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 AM
Tech Addict

twice the length of that pictured.. wow that is huge.. and as stated, expensive.

i might look into a lifting method.. may end up cheaper and easier??

does anyone know if you can build a ramp for wheel chair assisted only? i didnt find that in the standards at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.