1/10 F1 racing OZ style

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I ran mine sunday at sma (sydney) and used
Shimizu Racing Grooved F1 Rear Tyres - soft compound
Shimizu Racing Grooved F1 Front Tyres - medium compound

found it really grippy, and able to get the power on earlier than i would have thought. Also noticed could keep power on longer into the apex.
It appeared to be pushing in the front on some of the tighter turns, probably as im fairly new to racing, and this was first run with car.

hope thats some use

Originally Posted by hacker
does anyone have an idea on what the best tyres to use for outdoor asphalt med traction, for the FGX? Hard fronts, softer soft rears?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

can I ask how you found the tire wear of the ride tires.....how have they shaped up after racing.

I've ordered some mediums for front and rear as our track can be a little harsh on tires, so was interested our the soft's rear's held up.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Hi all,

I'm sadly selling my two race meeting old Tamiya F104 Black Pro. I purchased the car to race some mates however due to some logistics problems being a one car family it has been impossible to get to the track on Tuesday nights.

The car was the one featured in Racing Lines Magazine a couple of months ago (normally the cars are supplied to us however in this case I purchased it myself as I had long term aspirations....) Extensive photos can also be found in the magazine.

Upgrades include a thin T-bar (can't remember dimensions), several sets of foam tyres, titanium turnbuckles on the steering and a Savox mini servo which was purchased specifically for this chassis.

It is a beautiful looking chassis and I'm a bit sad to be selling it.

Asking $250 - send me a PM if you are interested.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

An update on tyres to fit the Sakura FGX

I have been sent samples by Shimizu Racing of some tyrs and they fit the rims perfectly. (They actually look to be the same as their old F201 tyres)

So the following Shimizu tyres will also fit the FGX:

PS0561 Front F1 tyres - soft
PS0563 Front F1 tyres - medium
PS0565 Rear F1 tyres - soft
Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I take it these are not for sale yet, and does that mean they fit the Ride rims or do they fit the FGX stock rims?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LordAnubis
I take it these are not for sale yet, and does that mean they fit the Ride rims or do they fit the FGX stock rims?
The Ride rims and the FGX rims are basically identical

And the tyres are now on order
Old 11-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Just picked my self up a FGX, it will give me something to do while recovering over the next couple of weeks
Old 11-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

so who ready to run their FGX's at Whalan this Sunday?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Took my car out for the first time on the street yesterday. It has plenty of rear traction thats for sure!!! Steering is a bit shocking but im guessing thats cos i have super soft rears and rock hard fronts (rides). Only change ive made so far from kit is i've gone softer front springs.

I'll see how i go at the track tomorrow and make some more changes accordingly. I think i might need a bit of weight on the front to get a bit more steering out of it... but at least at the moment the back end will never in a million years spin out :P

I'll definitely be trying shimizu soft rears and medium fronts though, i think that combo will work well. Might even try shimizu mediums all round now that we're getting into the warmer weather.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Took my car out for the first time on the street yesterday. It has plenty of rear traction thats for sure!!! Steering is a bit shocking but im guessing thats cos i have super soft rears and rock hard fronts (rides). Only change ive made so far from kit is i've gone softer front springs.

I'll see how i go at the track tomorrow and make some more changes accordingly. I think i might need a bit of weight on the front to get a bit more steering out of it... but at least at the moment the back end will never in a million years spin out :P

I'll definitely be trying shimizu soft rears and medium fronts though, i think that combo will work well. Might even try shimizu mediums all round now that we're getting into the warmer weather.
How did your go with the little "three wheeling" issue i have noticed.
Have been using the shimizu soft rear and med front, very stable and predictable.
Did you do any bracing on the front upper arms? Have ca'd piece of sprue in top of the smaller arm, hopefully will stop breakages. Apparently 3racing is aware and are looking at this issues (see post #675) http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...new-f1-45.html

Interested in your feedback
Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Three wheeling?? you mean almost traction rolling? Mine doesnt do that at all. Planted all the way... i just dont have much on-power steering... Havent done any bracing.. but that gives me an idea.. i'll put body fibre tape and silicone glue like i do on my rear wings to stop it from breaking, while giving it a little flex as well.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:20 AM
Tech Regular

So tested the car out today. It handles really well around the local track. I think some different tyres would be good, but we'll see how they go.

I had what can only be described as a minor encounter with the pit wall and in true f1 fashion parts flew everywhere and wheels were dangling by a thread.

It turns out i broke a kingpin clean in half... nothign else appears to be damaged, but the kingpin is clean broken.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

So tested the car out today. It handles really well around the local track. I think some different tyres would be good, but we'll see how they go.

I had what can only be described as a minor encounter with the pit wall and in true f1 fashion parts flew everywhere and wheels were dangling by a thread.

It turns out i broke a kingpin clean in half... nothign else appears to be damaged, but the kingpin is clean broken.
Yeah that and the arms are the weakest point on the FGX atm, im sure 3R will fix that issue though.

There is a company that has released a conversion kit the for FGX, it uses a CF bottom and top plate with the F104 style front end (need to purchase that separately). Currently waiting to here back from the company in terms of pricing.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Had same thing happen to me, however, no breakages of the plastic.
A few looked at it yesterday at sma, and a suggestion is to install the kingpin upside down and only put on the top and bottom clips.
Have done this to both sides and plan to test tomorrow night.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

I gave mine a run yesterday at my local track and had mixed results. Initially i wasnt impressed with the ride front soft tyres at all . The car had a massive push with ride soft front and ride supersoft rear at SMA. With the heavy push and ill handling the subsequent 2 crashes snapped the front end off the upper deck just behind the nose cone unit. So the wing is strong . After a repair with a new part at the end of the day we did some testing. Consensus was the ride soft fronts are a very stiff tyre so we cut the tyre open and removed the inserts and it felt better. Then it was suggested to run some toe out and this change transformed the car into a car that was a pleasure to drive . The only other combination that i tried was shimizu rib grooved soft front tyres with my ride supersoft rears and this had a ton of steering but i found it unstable and twitchy.Others liked it. I glued a 2.5mm carbon rod underneath my front arms as insurance and didnt have an arm breakage . After running the f104 for a while i can see the potential in the fgx it should be a good race car with some time to sort out teething problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.