Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree25Likes

1/10 F1 racing OZ style

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by icey05
I've just bought an FGX and am looking to do some basic upgrades before I slam it together. I've got a list of what I've heard of and seen just wondering which ones the FGX guys think are worth it

Exotek carbon chassi conventionIT'S BETTER WITH THE CONVERSION, WITH A CONVENTION YOU'D GET NOTHING DONE
Exotek front arm brace
Exotek front adjustable arms
Ball diff
Aluminium steering

Also ive seen two titanium king pin sets from 3racing, but which is the correct set to replace the front kingpins that always break

Cheers guy
To answer your questions...

Exotek carbon chassi convention...A MUST HAVE

Exotek front arm brace... dont bother if your getting the IFS system, it will add strenght to the stock lower arm, or you can fabricate your own, as is done in detail on the RCFORMULA1 SITE.

If your are getting the IFS buy the EXOTEC IFS conversion kit

Exotek front adjustable arms...definitly...Play around with the spacers and if you have ali spacers 2mm and up this will help, as what happens is the top arm where it joins the king will rub on the rim, as i said play with to eliminate the rubbing. I have a pic attached of what i have done,
BLACK SPACER 3mm stock
PINK SPACER .05
WHITE SPACER I used plactic 1/8th off road shock spacers, any .05 spacer can be used, i used the plactic to act as a cushion.

Ball diff...Personnel prefference, i stayed with the geared diff

Aluminium steering... I got this on mine and it is not any better to be honest, it has more play in the mechanisms and it weights a touch more than stock.

Also ive seen two titanium king pin sets from 3racing, but which is the correct set to replace the front kingpins that always breakThe one without the middle e-clip groove 3Racing Titanium Coated King Pin M3 x 32mm For 3racing Sakura FGX #FGX-330, is the easiest way to explain

Some parts can be bought at FERRAL BATTERIES and ALSO for more range of parts at NORTHERN BEACHES HOBBIES.

Hope this helps and any ??? dont hesitate to ask. ENJOY YOUR F1

Cheers Will
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 F1 racing OZ style-ifsjh.jpg  

Last edited by DIRTMONKEY; 06-29-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cannon
You seriously need a spell checker or something

If I am reading this right F103 and F104 rims will fit the F113. The front of a F113 uses bearings ... the same as the Tamiya cars. You can use the Ride R1 premounts or can use 103 rims with Shimizu tyres. Hope that helps
Hi Greg,

I have a question you maybe able to answer regarding these fits, I have tried the Ride R1 104 rims and the fonts with the right bearing work well, but i find that the rears don't fit quite right they seem to be just off center and no matter what i have done they just dont center, in measuring the axle thread it is a tad smaller than the rims, am i going mad??? do we, maybe, need to fit the tamiya rear axle ends to get the right fit ????

Cheers Will
Old 06-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sorry to be a pain in the a55 but I'm a little confused about wheels and tyres for the F113.

I've tried using Ride pre-glued F104 R1s but the rear end width is only about 190mm whilst the front width ends up being over 200mm.

I understand that the F103 rear wheels have a wider offset but you can only use Pit tyres on them is this correct (because I have various compounds of Ride tyres not yet glued up)?

If I use F104 front wheels and F103 rear wheels will this give me a similar width? Or should I be using F103 wheels all round?

Apologies for dumb questions but I'm getting quite confused here

Cheers
Simon
Old 06-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pullstarter
Sorry to be a pain in the a55 but I'm a little confused about wheels and tyres for the F113.

I've tried using Ride pre-glued F104 R1s but the rear end width is only about 190mm whilst the front width ends up being over 200mm.

I understand that the F103 rear wheels have a wider offset but you can only use Pit tyres on them is this correct (because I have various compounds of Ride tyres not yet glued up)?

If I use F104 front wheels and F103 rear wheels will this give me a similar width? Or should I be using F103 wheels all round?

Apologies for dumb questions but I'm getting quite confused here

Cheers
Simon
If you want to use the original F113 layout (and why wouldn't you, its one of the reasons why you bought it I'm assuming) you have to stick to F103 wheels and tyres. If you want to use F104 rims you really need to fit an f104 front end as well.... or wait for the long rumored but still unseen narrowing kit for the f113

On a related topic I do hope that the pseudo "excluding" of 200mm cars at bigger events doesn't gain momentum. The Ride R1 tyre may be convenient for event organisers who seem to think a control tyre is needed but it does effectively rule out anyone that might want to run a 200mm car, without modifications. Given that the Australian rule set allows 200mm cars it does seem unusual to me that, people can consider making event rules that prevent their actual competing somewhere. The AOC is a prime example, where it appears only 2 different tyres were considered, both unavailable for 200mm cars unless modified to 180mm or 190mm.

The Queensland On-Road Titles look as if they will run F1 as a demo class this year and I am hoping upon hope that they don't follow a similar path and decide to enforce a control tyre that is only available for F104 style cars.

I may be in the minority here but I prefer the scale appearance and performance characteristics of the 200mm cars and I should have equal opportunity to race it at events if I chose too

Last edited by ShadowAu; 07-01-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Trying to make my point... and because I must've been cranky about something when I first wrote things
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What he said.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Latest shell ready to go. 200mm converted from 180mm.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
If you want to use the original F113 layout (and why wouldn't you, its one of the reasons why you bought it I'm assuming) you have to stick to F103 wheels and tyres. If you want to use F104 rims you really need to fit an f104 front end as well.... or wait for the long rumored but still unseen narrowing kit for the f113

On a related topic I do hope that the pseudo "banning" of 200mm cars at bigger events doesn't continue. The Ride R1 tyre may be convenient for event organisers who seem to think a control tyre is needed but it does effectively rule out anyone that might want to run a 200mm car, without modifications. Given that the Australian rule set allows 200mm cars it does seem hypocritical to me that, so far, little consideration has been given to their actual competing anywhere. The AOC is a prime example, where it appears only 2 different tyres were considered, both unavailable for 200mm cars unless modified to 180mm or 190mm.

The Queensland On-Road Titles look as if they will run F1 as a demo class this year and I am hoping upon hope that they don't follow a similar path and decide to enforce a control tyre that is only available for F104 style cars.

I may be in the minority here but I prefer the scale appearance and performance characteristics of the 200mm cars and I should have equal opportunity to race it at events if I chose too
Thanks for the info, much appreciated I wasn't aware of the anti 200mm rulings but in the ACT I don't think its an issue.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pullstarter
Thanks for the info, much appreciated I wasn't aware of the anti 200mm rulings but in the ACT I don't think its an issue.
My point is more that I hope that it DOESN'T become an issue... it hasn't happened a lot yet but it has happened... I was probably a bit cranky waiting for lunch when I wrote the original post .. I've re-written my post to be a little less antagonistic
Old 07-01-2013, 03:58 AM
Tech Addict

My point is more that I hope that it DOESN'T become an issue... it hasn't happened a lot yet but it has happened... I was probably a bit cranky waiting for lunch when I wrote the original post .. I've re-written my post to be a little less antagonistic
Thanks Adrian. That's a really good point.

First a little background:

Scotty Ernst who is the organiser of the Asian On road Championship this coming weekend originally specified Pardus as the control tyre. For reasons unknown this fell through and Ride R1's were chosen. Scotty discussed this choice with me before making his final decision.

A benefit of the Ride's is they come pre-mounted and pre-glued on two different rims. One with a 14mm hex which fits the F103/F104 and one with a 12mm hex which fits the FGX/HPI.

Is this a perfect solution? No its not. But control tyres mean everyone competing has the same rubber - which we all know is perhaps as much as 90% of getting the car to handle correctly on any given track. This means that:

a) you don't need to take a heap of tyres with you to the event and then test them to see which works the best; and

b) part of the competition is to set up your car to make it as easy to drive / fast as possible. Drivers who put in the time and gain that knowledge will have an advantage come race day.

Control tyres are generally accepted as a good thing at large events. And that is certainly my view.

It is particularly a good thing on an Ozite / CRC carpet surface where those using foam tyres may well have an advantage. Also most of Australia is unused to running on Ozite so a suitcase of tyres to see what works is definitely not out of the question. The only other Ozite carpet track I've found is at Highway Hobbies on the Central Coast of NSW (If anyone knows of other Ozite / CRC tracks please tell me as I'm actively looking for them at the moment).

However, as ShadowAU points out the Australian National Rules allow cars up to 205mm to run. The reason for this was to allow as many existing cars as possible to run under the rules. I believe that allowing as many cars as possible to run under the rules is still a good thing and should remain an underlying principle as we look at fine tuning the rules for 2014.

A fantastic trend is that a large number of manufacturers have released F1 kits. That's great news as it means we are all spoiled for choice. But it does make things complicated when looking for control tyres.

I'd like to gain an understanding of the wheels that fit the kits currently on the market. To do this I'd like to fill out the table below.

So I'm looking for input please. If you have one of these kits and know the answer to any of the blanks then please post.

Also if you think the table needs more, or less information, please post.

Once the table is filled out we can look at the results and see if an obvious solution presents itself. Facts are always a good thing in any debate so more info can only be helpful.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Re Rebel 14mm, 200, Y, Y, Y, N

You can also get a narrow arm mount plate to get to narrow 104 specs.
104 wheels fit, but the rear becomes narrow, wide front in std format.

I wouldnt bother with the f104 front end, if required you could use exotek top links, like the recent ETS winners car.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

I'd like to add that I am 100% in favour of F1 using rubber tyres (nothing against foams). I also don't have anything against control tyres IN PRINCIPLE, but at the moment a control tyre in F1 can exclude a particular range of cars and this is in contradiction to the intent of rules created.

I am 100% against "forcing" the F104 front end as the way of getting all cars to use the same tyres.

I can add a bit of info to the table - mostly about the 3Racing F109 and a little about the SP-1

I've said that F104 wheels will fit only using the F104 front end as its well known the F104 wheels on the rear of an F103 based car narrow the track by 20mm. I haven't yet read or seen anyone having success using F104 rims with a 200mm front width and a 180mm rear width!

F109 -
Hex Size - 14mm
Stock Width - 200mm
Can fit F104 front end? - yes with modifications to servo mount or using F104 servo mount
Will F104 wheels fit? - only by fitting F104 front end
Will F103 wheels fit - yes
Will FGX 12mm wheels fit - no

SP-1 (according to manual)-
Hex Size - 14mm
Stock Width - 190mm, 200mm option included
Can fit F104 Front end - yes
Will F104 wheels fit? - yes using 190mm option
Will F103 wheels fit? - yes using 200mm option
Will FGX 12mm wheels fit? - no

F113 -
Stock Width - 200mm
Can fit F104 front end? - yes but requires modifications to fit
Will F104 wheels fit - yes using F104 front end
Old 07-01-2013, 05:37 AM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Got two cars prepped for the weekend. This is the newest
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 F1 racing OZ style-img_4029.jpg  
Old 07-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'd like to add that I am 100% in favour of F1 using rubber tyres (nothing against foams). I also don't have anything against control tyres IN PRINCIPLE, but at the moment a control tyre in F1 can exclude a particular range of cars and this is in contradiction to the intent of rules created.

I am 100% against "forcing" the F104 front end as the way of getting all cars to use the same tyres.

I can add a bit of info to the table - mostly about the 3Racing F109 and a little about the SP-1

I've said that F104 wheels will fit only using the F104 front end as its well known the F104 wheels on the rear of an F103 based car narrow the track by 20mm. I haven't yet read or seen anyone having success using F104 rims with a 200mm front width and a 180mm rear width!

F109 -
Hex Size - 14mm
Stock Width - 200mm
Can fit F104 front end? - yes with modifications to servo mount or using F104 servo mount
Will F104 wheels fit? - only by fitting F104 front end

SP-1 (according to manual)-
Hex Size - 14mm
Stock Width - 190mm, 200mm option included
Can fit F104 Front end - yes
Will F104 wheels fit? - yes using 190mm option
Will F103 wheels fit? - yes using 200mm option
Will FGX 12mm wheels fit? - no

F113 -
Stock Width - 200mm
Can fit F104 front end? - yes but requires modifications to fit
Will F104 wheels fit - yes using F104 front end
To completely blow smoke on the "wide cars dont work with narrow tyres"... TITC 2012, was vaguely succesful using a 103 front on a 104WGP, and that was control 104 RIDE rims and tyres... I actually purposeflly switched to the wider front, as it simply proved faster. Did the narrower rear cause an issue? simply put, no.
Mount them up and try it...
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Bradd, Adrian and Ed. Table updated:

Old 07-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
To completely blow smoke on the "wide cars dont work with narrow tyres"... TITC 2012, was vaguely succesful using a 103 front on a 104WGP, and that was control 104 RIDE rims and tyres... I actually purposeflly switched to the wider front, as it simply proved faster. Did the narrower rear cause an issue? simply put, no.
Mount them up and try it...
OK I stand corrected - someone has had success with a wide front and narrow rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.