Search
Like Tree19Likes

Castle Hill RC Onroad

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Lemans

Discussion last Friday was to try and start up Lemans on Friday 24th. No reason it could not start next week if there are sufficient starters. Hope starting up Lemans does not dilute the numbers for F1. Maybe we could look at running Lemans on limited occasions like first Friday of the month if the F1 numbers are reduced.

Curious to see the antique body Graham pulls out of the F1 pit box. When Tamiya stopped producing the Lemans bodies in the early 2000s, Graham and David Rowe made up a mould from a Tamiya body and produced their own. The quality was not as good as the original but the bodies worked OK and allowed the class to continue until the F103GT was released by Tamiya and the rules of the class changed to use 2 door GT bodies and touring car tyres.

Mine is ready to go but will have to wait a week before racing as have another commitment next Friday night. Will probably come down late afternoon for a few laps of practice. Had to search through cupboards and boxes to find the Porsche GT1 body, front body mount, aerial mount and chassis that have been gathering dust for years. Fitted out with 17.5 in blinky mode to start with.
Attached Thumbnails Castle Hill RC Onroad-lemans1.jpg   Castle Hill RC Onroad-lemans2.jpg  
Old 05-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice Body.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I was hoping an additional class ....

Almost ready .... F104W / 21.5 underneath.

Attached Thumbnails Castle Hill RC Onroad-2013-05-13-10.47.08-2.jpg  

Last edited by bigtree; 05-12-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Fix photo
Old 05-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Starting a second class that uses the same chassis as F1 will hurt your F1 numbers long term, there is no way around that. People with only one car will choose one or the other. New people who turn up to watch will have more classes to choose from, so the numbers going into every class will be fractionally reduced. It's pure statistics. Even people with the money for two chassis are probably already running as many classes as they reasonably can, they'll end up dropping another class.

Still the LeMans bodied cars are cool, it's part of the attraction of 12th scale for me. LeMans cars at Castle Hill is a bit Nostalgic for me too. Dad used to race a Tamiya C-Series with a Ferrari body at Castle Hill, I raced that same car all over Newcastle for a long time after that too.

I used to race F1 at Castle Hill in the late 90s and early 2000s. In those days there was a 2WD Night and a 4WD Night. F1 would run on both. Stock F1 would run on one night, and 540 F1 on the other. Many of us would run both just by swapping the motor. That model where you run classes that use the same chassis on different nights was a good one. If you race often enough, it's the only model that allows you to run a stack of extra classes but still keep the numbers in all your classes high.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

That's a good point,will the F103GT's be allowed to run in the class?
Old 05-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mad Speednut
I think for the moment unless it gets serious bring what u have. I know Martin is looking at fitting a LeMans style body to an FGX and Dean has a VTA Body on an F103 which he could run. So as long as its in the spirit of the class ie: F1 Style 2WD Chassis with a LeMans Style body.

If it gets popular again maybe we need some real rules, but until then.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

My preference would be to limit to F1 tyres only with the Lemans GroupC/GTP style bodies.

No F103GTs.

See what the others say on Friday.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Except Le Mans should allow any 2wd rear drive style chassis 1/10 scale,as we have in the past,i cant see that the GT would be faster than an F1 style chassis though.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Except Le Mans should allow any 2wd rear drive style chassis 1/10 scale,as we have in the past,i cant see that the GT would be faster than an F1 style chassis though.
F103GT uses touring car tyres. There will be a difference in performance plus you have a much greater tyre selection to choose from. When the new track surface paint starts to wear off the touring car tyres will be far superior to F1 tyres. Just install a Lemans body on an F1 and start from there. I'm not aware of anyone else planning to run touring car tyres.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Well as I have both, an F103LM and a F103GT,i shall bring both and give both a run,need to give both a dust off and run
Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Results for 2013 now online. Technical problems

Pointscore yet to be updated - in process.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TJ
Results for 2013 now online. Technical problems

Pointscore yet to be updated - in process.
Thanks Trev.

Even though I don't have a F1 (yet), I'm with Rob N in regards to tires, Lemans bodies with F1 rims & tires, keep it simple and class will have a better chance of prospering.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Tech Regular

Thought I'd just give an update and bring up an old topic that has been discussed many times, but I have pretty much secured a spot for us to have a public demo at Bunnings Dural.

It's going to be a few months away as it'll probably be the week leading up to father's day (End of August/September time) but we've got a Father's and Kids night being organised in preparation for Father's Day.

My guess is that we'll probably set up a small track in the timber yard (which has a fairly nice concrete surface), run a few cars around it while also talking to the parents, showing the kids the cars and explaining what it's all about. These nights are usually pretty big and can easily have over 100 people so we should be able to get some good publicity.

Now I'll be the first to say that I've never organised something like this so I'm all ears for suggestions and things we can do but it just might be enough to get a few new members to the club.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NuttsnBolts
Thought I'd just give an update and bring up an old topic that has been discussed many times, but I have pretty much secured a spot for us to have a public demo at Bunnings Dural.

It's going to be a few months away as it'll probably be the week leading up to father's day (End of August/September time) but we've got a Father's and Kids night being organised in preparation for Father's Day.

My guess is that we'll probably set up a small track in the timber yard (which has a fairly nice concrete surface), run a few cars around it while also talking to the parents, showing the kids the cars and explaining what it's all about. These nights are usually pretty big and can easily have over 100 people so we should be able to get some good publicity.

Now I'll be the first to say that I've never organised something like this so I'm all ears for suggestions and things we can do but it just might be enough to get a few new members to the club.
Well done Nutter!

This is something any club should look at doing as it will generate interest in the hobby along with potential new racers & members for the club
The hardest part is most times finding and gaining approval to hold a display, as many companies are hesitant due to public liability issues.

Apart from that all thats needed is something that can act as a "barrier" between the people spectating and a few willing people to run a few cars around and to talk to those wishing to find out more.
Not sure if I'm the best to do the latter but I'm keen to put my cars out on display and run around.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

A well sorted GT car will out strip a F1 chassis anyday. I use to run mine in against Modified cars, then if you add in a Le Mans body wow. Well even my Le Mans I ran in Modified but for other reasons. From history running the F1 and Le Mans classes it pretty much killed off F1. Personally I would keep F1 going while the class is building with great numbers and support. Also is much cleaner racing with F1 than Le Mans bodies (You would not think it would but it really does).

On another note I LOVED racing Le Mans, and have many good memories, so nothing against it at all but as long as you know what will happen to F1 and I dont think it would be the right way to go right now.

Coxy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.