Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree19Likes

Castle Hill RC Onroad

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hahah - thanks rob... be careful, there are plenty more noob questions on the way - just thought i would regulate the flow to avoid crushing humiliation.

ok, so to get read for sportsmans, i thought i should get a 21.5, so i have been on the market and i found a second hand (used 3 times apparently) motor esc combo - a Reedy 21.5 and a 100amp team orion esc... he is asking for $160... he cant give me model number, though... does that sound like a good deal?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AUSCAN
Browser, internet speed, ADSL, 3G Wha?????????? This is on my little notebook I use at Castle Hill. It is running Windows 7 64 bit, I'm connecting to the wifi there (or so I believe) and i'm using Google Chrome.
Ooooooh, I thought you were watching the live TCS racing in the link that Trev posted at the top of the previous page. (facepalms)

Only thing I can suggest is to try and sit in a different spot, metal walls & beams can have an effect on wifi signals sometimes.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AUSCAN
Browser, internet speed, ADSL, 3G Wha?????????? This is on my little notebook I use at Castle Hill. It is running Windows 7 64 bit, I'm connecting to the wifi there (or so I believe) and i'm using Google Chrome.
Ooooohhhhhhhh.

I think we are having two different convos here.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mswamy
hahah - thanks rob... be careful, there are plenty more noob questions on the way - just thought i would regulate the flow to avoid crushing humiliation.

ok, so to get read for sportsmans, i thought i should get a 21.5, so i have been on the market and i found a second hand (used 3 times apparently) motor esc combo - a Reedy 21.5 and a 100amp team orion esc... he is asking for $160... he cant give me model number, though... does that sound like a good deal?
No worries, I don't mind answering questions to the best of my ability, as I'd like to see people make informative decisions about the stuff they buy before they go and get something that possibly is of no use to them.

The Reedy Sonic motors are a good solid performer and if looked after it should last you a long time, they are also on the ROAR Motor Approval list for spec class racing. http://www.roarracing.com/approvals/...lessmotors.php

I've heard good things about the Orion speed controls and that does sound like a good deal considering the Reedy motor could set you back $100 on it's own.
I haven't had any experience with the Orion esc's though, but do try to get a model number as you have to make sure it's a esc that is approved for "blinky" class racing.
If the Orion is one of the following.
"Vortex R10 Race 90amp esc" part number ORI65109
"Vortex R10 Pro 120amp esc" part number ORI65101
"Vortex R10 Pro 160amp esc" part number ORI65102
You should be fine.
A list of "approved" blinky spec esc's that can be used in Australia can be found:
http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=737
or
http://www.aarcmcc.org/docs/AARCMCC%...2020120101.pdf
Also try to find out if the programming box for the esc is included as that will make things easier to setup & change your settings.
Hope that hasn't been too much information overload for you, again don't be afraid to ask as the folk here in the forum and at the track are a helpful and cheerful bunch.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mad Mackem
I could try to make some but I don't think they would stick too well to the rubber.
That's ok. I can probably get some off Ebay. I just thought that if you had some i'd rather buy them from you that's all.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 AM
Tech Adept

thanks, Rob - not at all.... more info the better..

so he said that it has blinky mode, and it connects to the comp through a usb, so will have to program it through a laptop or something. he cant find the model number..

I dont think the esc is roar approved, as he mentioned a 100amp number. does that mean i cant use it for sportsman class? or that i cant take it to specific comps? i think my skill levels at this stage might be prohibiting me from that...
Old 11-18-2012, 04:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ta04evah
Ooooooh, I thought you were watching the live TCS racing in the link that Trev posted at the top of the previous page. (facepalms)

Only thing I can suggest is to try and sit in a different spot, metal walls & beams can have an effect on wifi signals sometimes.

Cheers
Rob.
If you see me at the track and are having issues with the WIFI results system, please let me know, I'll be able to help resolve the issue. If you're not sure who I am just as Trev or Linda and they will be able to point me out.

I try to be there every 2-3 weeks to see if there are any issues, and I was there on Friday just past.

Rob is right though, the metal walls, roof and beams can cause interference with the 2.4GHZ wifi network signal.

Liam
Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

thanks, Rob - not at all.... more info the better..

so he said that it has blinky mode, and it connects to the comp through a usb, so will have to program it through a laptop or something. he cant find the model number..

I dont think the esc is roar approved, as he mentioned a 100amp number. does that mean i cant use it for sportsman class? or that i cant take it to specific comps? i think my skill levels at this stage might be prohibiting me from that...
Is there any way you can ask him to supply a picture of it? That way we could identify it better and then look into the specifications.
Please don't think that I'm trying to discourage you in any way by asking these questions etc, it's just often we see other folk purchase equipment that they were told is suitable when it wasn't.

Going by the fact that you said it's the 100amp version I had a look at the Team Orion website and the only 2 models that are 100amp are designed for off road applications, which I would say at this stage are not suitable for Sportsman 21.5 on road.
One of the 2 models is sensorless only which would be even less suitable.
And for the price that he's asking I would wager it would be the sensorless version, they're going for around $120AU new on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Team-Orio...item53ec9f4507

What I can suggest to you is, if possible come down to the track on Friday night and talk to the guys down there about what esc to get that would allow you to race in Sportsman, most people start to arrive around 5pm onwards and racing starts around 7:30pm.
I'm usually there around 3:30pm myself as I like to get there early to get some practice in.

If you need anymore info just fire away and I'm sure you'll get the answers you need.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

ah right! i didnt know there would be a difference between on-road and off-road ESCs...

I've asked him for pics - hopefully he replies soon..

I think i was sitting next to you last friday night, Rob... I wish i could get there that early - work is a limiting factor at times like this...
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Track location

Hi guys
Could you please give me the address of the track.
I know it's of show ground road but. Into what street.
Hope to be joining in with a f1 on Friday night
Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sodi
Hi guys
Thanks
Hi Mate, google castle hill raceway and you can see there is a page with location. (cant post URLs on here yet)... there are pictures to guide you...

m
Old 11-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Is the std spec motor a 21.5 I looked on the site and it said 17.5
Has it been standardised at 21.5 or 17.5
Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

F1

Any 2wd F1 chassis car - e.g. Tamiya, HPI, 3racing etc.

All cars must be rear wheel drive, no front wheel drive. F201 are allowed but must be Rear Wheel Drive.

Batteries as per AARCMCC specifications.

Minimum weight is 1000g race ready.

Cars may run either a 540 Stock motor, 27 turn Stock motor or 17.5 brushless or a Tamiya Sports Tuned motor.

Cars must use F1 specific wheels and tires. NO touring car wheels and tires and NO Mini wheels and tires.

Bodies must represent an actual or fictional F1 team and must have a driver figure (head, arms & shoulders) of realistic appearance, colour and garb.

Are these specs only for castle hill ?
Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Hi guys
Thanks
Hi sodi,

The road leading into the showground is Doran Drive which is accessible from Carrington Road, Castle Hill.
And this is the pavilion we race in https://maps.google.com.au/maps?sadd...p=0&sz=18&z=19

ah right! i didnt know there would be a difference between on-road and off-road ESCs...

I've asked him for pics - hopefully he replies soon..

I think i was sitting next to you last friday night, Rob... I wish i could get there that early - work is a limiting factor at times like this...
With the large number of different brands & models on the market, it can be a little confusing when trying to chose one that's suitable for your needs, and one that meets certain requirements for competition.

I usually set up towards the wall in the corner on Friday nights, I don't believe you were sitting next to me, you may have been sitting next to another Rob, who is much taller than me.
If you need any other info, just fire away here or come see me on Friday night.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

F1

Any 2wd F1 chassis car - e.g. Tamiya, HPI, 3racing etc.

All cars must be rear wheel drive, no front wheel drive. F201 are allowed but must be Rear Wheel Drive.

Batteries as per AARCMCC specifications.

Minimum weight is 1000g race ready.

Cars may run either a 540 Stock motor, 27 turn Stock motor or 17.5 brushless or a Tamiya Sports Tuned motor.

Cars must use F1 specific wheels and tires. NO touring car wheels and tires and NO Mini wheels and tires.

Bodies must represent an actual or fictional F1 team and must have a driver figure (head, arms & shoulders) of realistic appearance, colour and garb.

Are these specs only for castle hill ?
Thanks
yes these are the specs, what we run in F1 is up to 17.5 turbo. Most run from 17.5 blinky to 21.5 blinky and a few drivers still run 540 brushed motor and still very competitive. Speed is not the governing factor special in F1 it more to do with consistancy than anythink else. To answer the question between on-off spec for the ecs in blinky it is the same list if you go to AARCMCC or ROAR wen sites

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.