Search
Like Tree28Likes

Sydney Model Autosports Inc [smaracing.org]

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

thanks for the info.
ive got 2 lipo's(same type) so i'll bring both charged, and if 1 goes flat i'll swap it.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by total3d
thanks for the info.
ive got 2 lipo's(same type) so i'll bring both charged, and if 1 goes flat i'll swap it.
A lipo sack is about $20, better to be safer than sorry. Dont wanna have a car go up on fire if ya battery has a spaz on track cause of low voltage.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

thanks for the info.
Lipo batteries do not like going below 6 volts and you should never let them go "flat". Bring your charger with you and I am sure someone will let you use their lipo sack.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:45 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andrew Barr
Lipo batteries do not like going below 6 volts and you should never let them go "flat". Bring your charger with you and I am sure someone will let you use their lipo sack.
This is called "protecting your investment".

A lipo will not catch fire or spontaneously combust through normal use. Safe disposal involves discharging the battery, so this is not regarded as dangerous to the immediate environment. However, it is dangerous to your asset register, since there is a very high likelihood that an over discharged lipo will be unusable afterwards.

Incorrectly charging your lipo is extremely dangerous, but when charged with equipment in good order in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations it should all be uneventful. After all, lipos power virtually all current laptop, mobile phone, iPod and many other consumer devices. I've only personally witnessed one fire as a result of charging, and this was because the operator had deliberately chosen to charge the battery at over 3 times the maximum rate specified by the battery.

On a related note, LiFe batteries are starting to emerge in quantities. I wonder what impact this will have on the hobby? Lower voltages, but greater tolerance to misuse...
Old 07-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cristian Silva
Na not that, it only started when I put in the Hobby Wing

We can try another motor Christian see if it repeats that noise ... I suspect some gearing or bearing issue I remember I had similar problems when I put my spur gear shaft back to front... BTW I have some Rims if you are desperate and I know Noel has some type B's ff/rr so you dont really have much reason to back out F1 for Sunday...
Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Quote:
thanks for the info.

3.6 is the lowest you should ever take your LiPo down to... If you do send em flat there are a couple of ways you can bring em back which has worked for us on a few occasions... Whilst they can blow if treated badly most I know of have blown by silly errors like changing em up as a NiMh YES believe it or not and people not checking for dodgy or tattered wiring and YES you would not believe the number of people who let em go down the gurgler!

Most LiPo's today are of a very high quality, most of the explosive stories we hear about them come from the IT world as some had very serious issues in Laptops again a different application but this is where that technology comes from.. I remember back in my IT days we received a large corporate order on Laptops and we had 5 -6 go off like the 4th of July, this was because of a cell chemical imbalance in one of the batches..

A LiPo bag is a must have not a should have, it is rule based by most if not all sanctioned clubs and it is there to protect against Public Liability should something go wrong with your lipo.. also makes a great battery storage double especially if you get the bigger bags... just a thought!

Last edited by Rubedude; 07-15-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my mate has a lipo that when connected to a charger says its not connected and when i looked at it with a mulit meter and shows no charge.
is there a way to bring it back to life or is it dead?
cheers
Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rubedude
We can try another motor Christian see if it repeats that noise ... I suspect some gearing or bearing issue I remember I had similar problems when I put my spur gear shaft back to front... BTW I have some Rims if you are desperate and I know Noel has some type B's ff/rr so you dont really have much reason to back out F1 for Sunday...
I pulled it apart after the first Hobby wing run due to the noise, I though too it was the gears but their in brand new condition, everything is aligned as should bealso, it would of made that noise prior to installing the hobby wing so not sure, its doesnt seem to effect performance though so Ill keep running as is till something noticeable or obvious shows up.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

I pulled it apart after the first Hobby wing run due to the noise, I though too it was the gears but their in brand new condition, everything is aligned as should bealso, it would of made that noise prior to installing the hobby wing so not sure, its doesnt seem to effect performance though so Ill keep running as is till something noticeable or obvious shows up.

Your call mate but let me know..
Old 07-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I noticed that noise the other Sunday. It sounds like a loose belt skipping under braking. Problem is, the f201 is shaft drive .

Process of elimination. Remove the front axles and test. If the noise appears, remove the rear axles and go from there.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cracka540
my mate has a lipo that when connected to a charger says its not connected and when i looked at it with a mulit meter and shows no charge.
cheers
I would say it was dead...

What happened the last time that pack was used? Maybe one of the cells has gone. I have seen that on a newish IP pack.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:19 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andrew Barr
I noticed that noise the other Sunday. It sounds like a loose belt skipping under braking. Problem is, the f201 is shaft drive .

Process of elimination. Remove the front axles and test. If the noise appears, remove the rear axles and go from there.
I think Christian should run it with both axles removed. Might be able to pass him then
Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PDR
I think Christian should run it with both axles removed. Might be able to pass him then
:snea ky:
Old 07-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cracka540
cheers
If tou can bring it down with you on Sunday i have a lipo charger with a rapair function it may be able to bring it back
Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PDR
I like that one.
To even out the finals.
I suggestion to even the field could be once each driver makes their drive through the pole sitter stops for a determined amount of time depending on how many in the field.
So lets say (like Tues) their are 9 cars, the pole sitter would have to pit for 9 sec and last place would just drive through without stopping
Now that would make things interesting, would need someone to marshal the stop and go's though. Oh and 6min finals

Lets try this Sunday.
Thoughts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.