Like Tree28Likes

Sydney Model Autosports Inc [smaracing.org]

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Z-Mann
awesome kebab
The new "Taubmans Corner" looks fantastic!

was great to see kebabs creation "catching" a few cars last night.

Great nights racing, thanks for everyone's patience while the new software was tested, is a work in progress and thanks to Paul for taking the time to tear what little is left of his hair out last night.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default 2012 SMA AGM

Notice to all SMA members.

We will be having our annual general meeting for 2012 on the 11th of December, at 6:30pm, inside the Jets Club.

This is a chance for all SMA members to have a say in our club, reflect on 2012, elect the new committee for 2013, and have some insight into what is planned for 2013.

After the meeting the track will open for free practice.

So if you’re a member of SMA, please try a make it, and have your say, so we have a better idea on what our members want moving forward.

Regards,

Steve Taulanga
SMA President
Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Okay well this is my story!

I love racing RC cars! I have raced nitro offroad for quite some time.. Thinking of getting into on road and racing at tempe due to being sick of the mess of offroad and nitro!

But heres the thing, for some reason I have this massive image in my head of electric on roads being a pain in the ass to setup and get dialled, needing to buy set up tools ($$$), figuring out how to build/setup the car up as I have never built an on road or electric car before as I am sure there is a large learning curve, learnign to solder, learning electrics etc. I just feel as if there is a lot I do not know and will be difficult to get started... Which has resulted in me filling up and emptying my cart at the checkout of amain 3242x as I keep going back and forth on wether I think I will get more enjoyment or more stress out of getting into electric on road.

My question to you guys is how hard is it generally do you think for a person coming from racing offroad nitro (4+ yrs) to going to electrics?

What is the most competitive class at SMA?

What ESC/MOTOR combination is recommended for that class?

What are your thoughts on the new TC6.1 as I have my heart set on it?

I will be moving to Sydney (from Melbourne) at the beginning of 2013 to Sydenham (which I can see is near tempe?)

Cheers, Dan.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan28

I love racing RC cars! I have raced nitro offroad for quite some time.. Thinking of getting into on road and racing at tempe due to being sick of the mess of offroad and nitro!

But heres the thing, for some reason I have this massive image in my head of electric on roads being a pain in the ass to setup and get dialled, needing to buy set up tools ($$$), figuring out how to build/setup the car up as I have never built an on road or electric car before as I am sure there is a large learning curve, learnign to solder, learning electrics etc. I just feel as if there is a lot I do not know and will be difficult to get started... Which has resulted in me filling up and emptying my cart at the checkout of amain 3242x as I keep going back and forth on wether I think I will get more enjoyment or more stress out of getting into electric on road.

My question to you guys is how hard is it generally do you think for a person coming from racing offroad nitro (4+ yrs) to going to electrics?

I will be moving to Sydney (from Melbourne) at the beginning of 2013 to Sydenham (which I can see is near tempe?)

Cheers, Dan.
There is a lot to learn and setting up the car can take time, but that's part of the fun.
I had a TC6.1 wen i first started racing and it was the worst car ever, it dose not matter what you do with it it will always be slow.
The class to start in would be 21.5 or stock.

Cars to look at are XRAY, Serpent, Tamiya and Yokomo
Electrics Orca, Hobbywing, Nosram/LRP and Orion

Just do it

Mick
Old 11-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoot RC
I had a TC6.1 wen i first started racing and it was the worst car ever, it dose not matter what you do with it it will always be slow.
yep terribly slow, that’s why i qualified 3rd in 21.5 CC at SMA with one

I found exactly the opposite, i found it a very forgiving car to learn with.

yeah ok im off the pace since moving to mod, but considering i have under a year of driving under my belt and a 4.5 is a huge step up from 21.5, its work in progress.

Beth.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Similar Question to Dan28 Above.

Looking at getting into OnRoad as well as something to do when I cant make offroad racing on the weekend.

I work in Redfern/Eveleigh so Tempe is pretty close.

What would be the best class to start with?

Mini
Sportsman (21.5)
Stock (17.5) - Race Stock in offroad.

Also looking at this as its cheap!

Schumacher Mi1 1/10 Electric Touring Car Kit
Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan28

Cheers, Dan.
I think you may be making a boulder out of a stone, there are quite a few similarities to off road and on road on how you set up a car, and if you've had years of experience I really cant see you struggling.

The biggest thing I would be concerned about is car choice, as for most competitive class at SMA, it would most probably be stock 17.5 also 21.5, however if you have been driving nitro cars around, you may find 21.5 a little slow, however certainly a competitive class to get your on road driving up to scratch

The biggest thing in my opinion is car choice, I would be inclined to buy a car that is relatively easy to setup, reliable and wins races in stock and that is an Xray, (Keith Chui) seems to dominate with it everywhere, it would most likely be the car of choice in stock and the one that has the most support in Australia, both from a parts point of view if you need them but also a racing point of view, there is a good 5 or 6 guys at SMA, that will be more than willing to give you a hand.

As for the TC6.1, I drove one in 21.5 for a bit of fun a few weeks back and loved it, however there have been a few that have tried it in stock and hated it. so the choice is entirely up to you.

It's a lot of fun and there are plenty of people on hand to offer any advice they can. You will be fine
Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NR
As for the TC6.1, I drove one in 21.5 for a bit of fun a few weeks back and loved it, however there have been a few that have tried it in stock and hated it.
Since moving to mod i think it has allot to do chassis flex, the 6.1 is a little stiffer, and lacks a little on power steering and rear grip because of it, ( wow Ari's wisdom was right )
Its fine for 21.5 as its very underpowered, and probably makes it a little easier to drive.

When i get back from real racing in a few weeks, im going to give the 6.1WC chassis that has been collecting dust in my pit bag, and a flexi top deck a try to see if that helps in Mod

Beth.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

How can Stock class be competitive if only Keefy wins all the time.

another good car choice would be the Top Racing Photon EX. It won the 21.5t class last month so it provenhttp://www.topracing.net.au/shop/index.php

or you can join me and sell one of your kidneys to run the Awesome Car.
http://www.awesomatix.com/
Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 PM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danjoy25
How can Stock class be competitive if only Keefy wins all the time.

another good car choice would be the Top Racing Photon EX. It won the 21.5t class last month so it provenhttp://www.topracing.net.au/shop/index.php

or you can join me and sell one of your kidneys to run the Awesome Car.
http://www.awesomatix.com/
What car does Keefy drive
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i thought he mind controlled it. does he actually drive it.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quick observations:
  • Almost any modern, off-the-shelf, TC is capable of going pretty darn well. Most brands appear in the top 10 at the state/national/world titles
  • The setup window for each car will be different
  • A local starting point and expertise will always be useful
  • Some guys are just good at setting up and/or driving anything

Quick recommendations:
  • Head down to the track and meet people, see what's going on
  • Be prepared to consider hand-me-down gear (chassis/electrics/motors etc) which can reduce initial investment until you really know where you want to take things
  • Set yourself personal goals to achieve, rather than shoot for outright glory on day 1. You'll go home happier each week if you think about your successes and nots...
  • Get to know good sources of supply. Club sponsors can supply TC kits at pretty good prices too
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Xray is a very good choice. Parts support is excellent, the quality is very high and it is very fast out of the box. The AE is also very good and quite a bit cheaper, though less people run them at SMA so there is less help available.

Beyond that there are plenty of other good cars, but none are as well supported so it can be a headache if you are starting out.

Regarding Dan's question re: special tools and whatnot, you'll need the usual variety of drivers for your car, wheel wrench, turnbuckle wrench, car stand and setup board. Setup tools required are ride height gauge, droop gauge (you can get a combined ride height and droop tool), quick camber gauge. None of this stuff should be overly expensive and is not difficult to use. In winter you will almost certainly "want" tyre warmers.

If you are starting out you should definitely start in 21.5 blinky to develop your craft. The speed is lower than stock but it's an easy upgrade to 17.5 when you are ready.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi Craig

My daughter and I have recently gotten into on-road racing. We are currently racing indoor (carpet) at Warners Bay (run by the Maitland club) and also indoor at Long Jetty (run by Oversteer)

Would like to come down and race with you guys, but cant make heads or tails of your website. What weekends do you guys run

Hope to see you soon
Old 11-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Guys

Was looking to get back into things, when could we sign up for next yr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.