Wiki Posts
Search

HOBART EP OFF ROAD RACING

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ajj
Good to see the hard work of many club members paying off today. Track was fantastic Scott, grooved up by the end of the day. You'll have to come down for a run at some stage.

Who knows, once the jumps are done the track will be ready for a major event. Better get thinking of dates to hold our interclub meet (how does "Goodwood Festival of Speed" sound? )

Was also thinking of changing the format to 2x5min qualifiers (IFMAR called), and 3x5min finals, all finals to count and winner by points. Thoughts...
Goodwood Festival of Speed, I like the sound of that.
That format would be the same as on-road except they run 6 mins.
I personally like that way better.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:13 AM
Tech Rookie

AWSOME pics Shimmy
Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ajj
Good to see the hard work of many club members paying off today. Track was fantastic Scott, grooved up by the end of the day. You'll have to come down for a run at some stage.

Who knows, once the jumps are done the track will be ready for a major event. Better get thinking of dates to hold our interclub meet (how does "Goodwood Festival of Speed" sound? )

Was also thinking of changing the format to 2x5min qualifiers (IFMAR called), and 3x5min finals, all finals to count and winner by points. Thoughts...
Sounds like it was a good day, I'll try to make sure I'm not working next time.

How about "Goodwood Festival of Scale Speed"? I'd imagine an event with a name like that to be for on and off road though, with big jumps, drift and crawler demonstrations for spectators.

More finals sounds good to me.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So is there a concensus on what tyres are best on the new surface? I'm mainly interested in 2WD buggy since I need new tyres for that, but also stadium truck and 2WD short course.

My buggy is better with the Dirt Hawgs on the rear now that there's some rubber laid down. They have plenty of grip as long as I don't slide it much. Of course they're not race tyres, I just needed some that'll last for bashing and getting a feel for the car. The Pro-Line Wide ribs I have on the front are wearing surprisingly fast now. I think it's because it understeers a bit so they're scrubbing the inside alot.

So should I be going for some clay tyres next, or are pins working just as good?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I didn't get a chance to test tyres as I'm saving them for Keilor this weekend. I used M3 Ribs and M3 Calibars. Ribs are terrible when the track is fresh, but once the track turned blue groove towards the finals I had all the front grip I could need, there was also noticeable wear. I'm not sure if AKA Rebar or Pro-Line Scrubs would be better to start with but I've got both to test next meet.

As for rear the Calibars were fine in the dry but rubbish when damp but great in the dry. Wear was about 30% of the tyre for the day. Though grip didn't decrease with wear on either ends. I've got AKA Rebars, Impacts and Pro-Line Bow-Ties still to test.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For tires on 2wd buggy I'd use pro line suburbs in mc compound on the rear and pro line scrubs in m3 compound on the front.

If the tracks fresh, m2 compound holeshots and possibly ribs, depending on your car set up.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I was over the track a couple of days ago just testing/tuning and got some decent improvements this time,

I dunno if what suits my buggy is much different being a mid motor or not but I actually found bald tyres the best.

I tried Calibers and were just junk all round, although they are getting quite worn but just useless, I only have goosebumps and V1 Barcodes as my other tyres, the goosebumps are alright but can go through a set in just a couple of hours (stupid green compound) and the Barcodes are alright when the track is a little damp.

The bald tyres I have are a near completely smooth set of goosebumps and bald panther bobcats up front.
It's the first time I've ever driven my X6 with so much grip.

I also have VP Pro 201, Proline ribs, Jconcepts Rounders, all of them seem alright but none really seemed to be much better than the others, although I haven't used any of them for any length of time.

Originally Posted by harlyquin76
AWSOME pics Shimmy
Ta mate, appreciate it.

Last edited by Shimmy; 01-26-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anyone want a Turnigy watt meter? $20? ono
Got 5.5mm bullet plugs on it

Also might have a XXX CR 2wd buggy with some parts (no gearbox or body) for sale soon, also have a Losi Desert Truck that could go with it which shares the gearbox (gear diff). Havn't decided on a price for both yet, just seeing if theres any interest.

Have 2x Colt 10 EP onroad cars for sale, one has a couple of broken bits and the other has a sorry looking chassis, could make a good one out of both and have a few spares left.
No tyres, bodies or electrics included though, make an offer.
Might have one body I could put with it.

Futaba T2PHKA, excellent condition, still in the original box, $30?

Might have a few more bits soon, slowly going through my stuff.

Last edited by Shimmy; 01-29-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

showers forecast all the way up until sunday, which is meant to be cloudy. good signs for the weekend so long as it doesnt actually rain sunday.

how are we going with the transponders alex? congrats on your results at the keilor shootout too btw!

[edit]

did a few laps in the dry the other day, on my t4 m3 holeshots the grip was good, but the wear was incredible. doubt a fresh set would last a raceday. dirt hawgs didnt grip as well, but the wear was great, hardly noticed after 10min of laps. ran some well worn the edge up front and they gripped well enough. have some suburbs to try in the front yet, as well as bow ties and evil twins for the rear. thinking of getting a set of gladiators for a good balance of grip and wear.

for sct i found bowties offer a good blend of grip and wear (the tread pattern is rather different to the buggy and truck version)
Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 AM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Justin, was really happy with my 4WD result. We were a bit unlucky in 2WD as the field was so competitive and we'd had no practice on the track before hand so we didn't make the A final. However, Sam's and my times in our B finals would have given us 4th and 5th respectively in the A! We also had the wrong tyres, Rebars or Suburbs were the way to go and I was lucky enough to have a pair of Rebars. We'd glued our tyres at home so we were prepared but this turned out not to be such a good idea. So we learnt:

1. Get there as early as possible to practice.
2. Take about 2-3 sets of rims and 2-3 sets of each tyre style unglued.

As far as transponders go, I don't reckon we'll have them this weekend. The sales manager was on holidays last week so I only got the account yesterday, which I paid today. So we can only wait now but they should be on their way soon.

As far as tyres and wear at our track goes, we'll just have to get used to high wear. It seems to be the nature of a hard packed track and was the same at Keilor (though I think our surface is much nicer!). Just find what works for you and gives you acceptable grip to wear rate. For me I think it'll be soft Rebars and MC/M3 Suburbs.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Hobart

So when are you putting on a big race meet Alex. I know I could get a few people over for a weekend away of racing. Later in the year would be ace. There is a calander on the Keilor website with all Major Victorian Race dates on it. Work around that and make sure we can catch the last flight home to maximise entries.

Cheese
Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 AM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by stinky cheese
So when are you putting on a big race meet Alex. I know I could get a few people over for a weekend away of racing. Later in the year would be ace. There is a calander on the Keilor website with all Major Victorian Race dates on it. Work around that and make sure we can catch the last flight home to maximise entries.

Cheese
Pressure Cheesey! Perhaps early December would work. We were looking to hold something towards the end of the year anyway, have you seen our track yet? We still need to get some jumps on the track (but not moguls!) and a new drivers stand.

We had a great time in Keilor and I've already looked at flights for the 4 Vic Drivers Series rounds (assuming interstaters can enter). Thinking probably Bendigo, Keilor and Coleman Cup. Also the Vics depending on my exam timetable as it's right in the middle of exams! Also, are the tracks open for practice on the saturday before as I was looking at early flights saturday to get some time to practice, and what time do they finish typically on Sunday?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ajj
Pressure Cheesey! Perhaps early December would work. We were looking to hold something towards the end of the year anyway, have you seen our track yet? We still need to get some jumps on the track (but not moguls!) and a new drivers stand.

We had a great time in Keilor and I've already looked at flights for the 4 Vic Drivers Series rounds (assuming interstaters can enter). Thinking probably Bendigo, Keilor and Coleman Cup. Also the Vics depending on my exam timetable as it's right in the middle of exams! Also, are the tracks open for practice on the saturday before as I was looking at early flights saturday to get some time to practice, and what time do they finish typically on Sunday?
Yes practice on Saturday is a must.
I had a look at the track and aoart from being flat it looks ok.
Interstaters can enter.
Normally finish at 5.30pm
Old 02-03-2012, 05:33 AM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

We are back racing this Sunday the 5th of February for our second run on the new layout.

No transponders yet, but they will be here for the next club day on the 19th which will be our last meet before we start our first ever points series.

There will also be a change to the race format from 3x5min qualifiers and 1x10min final to 2x5min qualifiers and 3x5min finals. So you still get the same amount of track time, but more races count towards your final position and motor temps will be easier to control with only 5min races. The qualifiers will also move from a heads up start to "IFMAR called" where everyone sets off on their own, this will make qualifying more about racing the clock rather than other people.

See you all there!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Can't wait, should be a good day, haven't raced on the new track yet. Was out for some practice the other day and 2 guys with baja knockoff turned up. Told them they can't use them on the track and they got shitty with us complaining of nowhere else to take them. Might be worth looking at getting the sign updated or put a new sign up on the drivers stand or something, as if we weren't there I'm sure they would have ripped it to shreds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.