Like Tree30Likes

St Ives RC Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 04:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NOFX
hey X5

i'll be down on sunday, but only to say hi, watch a bit of racing, as i have a wedding to go to in the afternoon, but next clubby for sure
Just popping in on your way to your own wedding??? That's the spirit!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

hahah, luckily its not mine, hehehe, but if my future wife didn't understand why we couldnt have a wedding on a race meeting day, she would become a future ex-wife real fast

btw, i dont have any prospective future Mrs NOFX's at the moment
Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NOFX
hahah, luckily its not mine, hehehe, but if my future wife didn't understand why we couldnt have a wedding on a race meeting day, she would become a future ex-wife real fast

btw, i dont have any prospective future Mrs NOFX's at the moment
I don't think you'll find her in here either mate!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

gold i know, oh well, the XX4 can share my bed once ive built it
Old 05-02-2007, 05:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerome H-8
Who is autoset?
one of the 44,950 people who are members of this forum.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Tom,
Nice time of the day eh?
Old 05-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by B4Bandit
one of the 44,950 people who are members of this forum.
onya Wazzaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Can't wait to race on Sundee. Rebuilt my B4 yesterday. Had the day off... Started working at 6:30am and was still at it at 2:30pm. Still not finished!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking Get it togeather...

hey, we can always postpone the race day for YOU if you can't get it back togeather in time!

...or maybe not.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default track

hey guys

I am going to weigh in with my 2c worth here.

I have raced at St Ives for a very long time... when I first got dropped off with a 12V car battery a small table and my hornet and some charge leads by my dad the track still had a bridge in it that we drove over.

the layout then changed to the worlds layout and then much later on had the extension added to go around the tree. my roots are in this track. its awesome and I love it. the new surface is the best in the country when its smooth. its grippy and fast and penalises you if you make a mistake. ie run wide on a corner and your lap is ruined. it does however produce great racing and I can always see what a setup change effects because the lap times can be compared without the variables of "did i make a mistake over a jump".

In saying all that I would love to do the following. get rid of the big tree in the middle of the track that is dying and then flatten the whole area and design a track that has jumps and technical sections to it. We have a huge area and we could utilise it much better.

it would however require upkeep and we would hope that no bmxers get on it.

The racing around the world as pointed out by Jezza has changed and jumps are a part of most tracks. Michael and I were going to Cactus this year and there were jumps everywhere. No doubt the worlds in Japan will be the same. Without driving time on these style of tracks its hard to get better.

The answer to that problem lies in the fact that within an hour and a half of st ives we have two other world class tracks. one in matialnd which is awesome and the new track at illawarra which is being finished now. It will take over the mantle of the best track in the country. 900+ tonnes of pure clay with triple triples and jumps all over the place.

Whilst I would love my home track to have a layout like this I can hop in the car and get access to that type of track fairly easily. St Ives produces such fun racing, it is always close and its a great way to wind down with a few mates after a week at work.

Come along ang race here one and see what you think Jezza, you will have fun. No doubt about it. X5 and NOFX and the rest of the crew are great guys and fun to race with.

ben
Old 05-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

My turn. It appears I'm also in the so-called minority in disagreeing about the comments on our track

You can argue either way. You can't say that our track has stood still since 1989. The surface is quite different now even though the layout is similar.

Then there's this argument. St Ives is a very community-based track. I suspect we have a higher representation of newcomers and juniors than maybe some other tracks. I recall my first foray at another very technical track. I DNFd 4 out of 5 races because I was violated by the menacing jumps (well my car was anyway). Sure that's the technical element showing through and I should learn from this, but you can hardly call that fun! Annoying is a better word for it!

I hardly think you can suggest on-road as having a likeness to our track. I enjoy sliding and drifting. I enjoy negotiating the undulating surface. The two big jumps can still quite easily take you out, and the main straight jump can send cars into the drivers stand

I also ran a car when they had that steel bridge there Ben. It was around the Optima days I believe. Funny stuff. We've heard various suggestions which are all constructive. What I have never heard is criticism before now. As has been said before, you really have to run the track at least once before passing judgement.

Alternatively, if you're offering to bring some technology across from USA and do all the hard work on the track, and then keep the maintenance up to date whilst ensuring everyone was happy and catered for regarding the surace and layout, then I'm sure we could come to an agreement!

Regards,
Legless.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

I cant say enough good stuff about the people that race, organise and maintain the St.Ives track and club.

Yes its flatter and less technical than most but it is ridiculously unrealistic to suggest or wonder why it or some other tracks are NOT American style high grip jump infested car breakers...

Yes its makes awesome drivers racing week in and week out BUT and I will put all of these in point form:

* St.Ives does not have the budget of these tracks you mention
* St.Ives does not have a full time dedicated group of expert track builders on site to fix and maintain the track 24 hours a day
* Sydney and Australia in general do not have the dense population of the USA in any one given area therefore do not have the 50-100 people paying racers at each and every meeting 3 times a week
* St.Ives do not have the facilities of, for example SoCal or Scottsdale with an onsite hobby shop, and world class tracks to attract drivers from Australia for example
* No money or very little + lack of drivers = realistic views on a track and its condition

I am sure and know that we would all love to have a world class layout there but its not about that. It is a track that we can all have fun on, race competitively and not worry about the new kids crashing and struggling to drive a single lap around it for fear of breaking or looking silly. We can all burn around the track at a hundred miles an hour if we want...

Its on dirt, its off road and its fun and that to me is what its all about..

And Benny mentioned 2 world class tracks we can travel 2 hours max to get to, why would we not want a track we can just turn up to and race and have fun and save the serious stuff for them...

And to all the club members and guys and girls that run the club, prepare the track, organise food and drinks - I 100% applaud you and am so appreciative of your efforts week in week out to make this track and club fun and a great day twice a month. I am the first to admit I turn up at club meetings, pay my money and do absolutely nothing to help prepare for the day so your hard work and efforts dont go unnoticed by us all. In fact they are appreciated more than we/I show..
Old 05-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default track

well said RB.

Its all about fun and thats what our track dishes up.

I must agree with thanking all of those who work on the track and run the club. its a big job and we all get huge enjoyment and a lot of laughs every second sunday because of it.

I am dying to race, it better not rain. its been a massive struggle to get though a few weeks of work without cutting any laps.

added to that I want to see if Ron aka Paul can hit the drivers stand any harder this weekend!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

haha thanks benny, I'm sure I can give it a nudge!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

pending a big fat tax return and how much I can smuggle away from the eyes of the mrs, I might return to St.Ives once again. I started there around the old 'pre worlds bridge' days

BJ4 maybe ? fell in love with Cam's after having a drive... but I'm thinking a 2wd coz its still the most popular class right ?

BEST CLUB IN THE WORLD.. you heard it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.