Should 19 turn become a National On Road Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should 19 turn become a National On Road Class

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

I would like to see this happen, this is what we race at Kambah at the moment alot of fun and close racing
Old 08-02-2006, 11:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

We race a bit of 19t spec in Brisbane at the moment. Mainly at the Interclub Onroad rounds where we run it on the Saturday with some other classes (Stock and Mod are both run on the Sunday) - this more or less gives both stock and mod drivers the chance to race 19t. My judgement after talking to a fair few is that some of the regular stock drivers enjoy 19t more than the good modified drivers do who find it a bit slow. Some of teh stock drivers don't like it all for different reasons.
We also run it at one club on a Friday night and it seems to have a fair following.
As a long time stock driver who has no pretentions ever of becoming a mod driver I would like to race 19t more often and if it was a class at the clubs I race at then I would be a regular starter, as I would be at State and National level if it was offered.
The motors last well and the pressure on batteries seems to be a lot less and yes you could probably run longer races, not sure about 8 minutes.
I guess my reservations would be about whether we actually have enough people to make another class viable and not kill off something else in the process.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

I vote yes to 19 turn.

I also reckon we get moving on a restricted mod class, say calling it Mod R and limit it to 9 turn motors. You can still have your open mod class but this will allow people to race mod without the expense. It will allow the 5 star rated brushless motors and will stop all this jibber about run time and esc melt down and I reckon would become the top class.
Stock 27 turn
Super Stock (23 turn Club)
19t spec class 24 deg fixed blah blah
Mod R - 9 turn
All six cell classes
Open Mod, whos got the cash gets the sash
4, 5 200 cell class whatever who cares it's too expensive anyway.

I reckon 19 turn would be awsome and really, mod will never take off in this country simply due to the ridiculous pricing of this hobby in this country, so based on that 19 turn should be included and even the Mod R class.

Anyway thats my 2 cents,

Big Yes to 19 turn
Old 08-03-2006, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zacabrandy
I vote yes to 19 turn.

Stock 27 turn
Mod R - 9 turn
All six cell classes
Open Mod, whos got the cash gets the sash
4, 5 200 cell class whatever who cares it's too expensive anyway.

With that number of classes you must like racing against 3 or 4 people
Old 08-03-2006, 01:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rod M
yes yes and yes,

I have been trying to get support for spec 19t for ages,

my old V2 based spec 19t is getting old and I have these new Z-zone based 19t motors to test

Rod, that motor is illegal due to the hole positions on the can.

Race time would be 5 minutes as per current Touring Car class rules.

Regards
Chris Peet
AARCMCC
Old 08-03-2006, 01:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vr01

Race time would be 5 minutes as per current Touring Car class rules.

Regards
Chris Peet
AARCMCC
the hole positions give the TOP motor the edge...thats why its good for 8mins

Seriously i dont think any racer cares where the holes are.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Bender,

There would only be 4 classes as the 2 new classes would attract more people from the mod class and stock to 19t. At the moment there is only 3 classes and within that only 2 are really stacked, 540 and stock. So if the 2 new classes took off, which I beleive they would, drivers trying mod but findin git too expesnive would go for Mod R, people who have wanted to go mod but couldn't afford it will go Mod R and a lot of stock drivers would step up to 19t or Mod R and this then leaves 540 for those learning the hobby.

As for Mod Open I couldnt care less as it is just to expensive and therefore elite for me anyway, but I think it would die out as the 9 turn class would not be much slower especially if the open mod goes to 4 cell.

Its just a thought anyway but the few I have mentioned it too all seemed to be in agreement with the concept anyway
Old 08-03-2006, 03:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vr01
interesting, I though that this rule was only for 27t stock. and 0deg on the 19t can could be defined by the a line through the centre of one sets of holes?

does not matter too much, Z-zone are working on the new can and should be ready soon (if not already)
Old 08-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Tech Master

zacabrandy,

where do you expect to get all of the drivers from to run in all of those classes? As it is we have been lucky to get 30 in mod TC at the last few Nationals. You don't really want to have the situation where you just walk straight into an A final (although I know some people would like to!). What would be the point of having qualifying? Might as well have a random draw for the grid and run finals.

23T would be too close to 27T and 19T, so to me seems a pointless progression path, which is one of the ideas behind introducing 19T. Stock to Mod is far too steep.

Mod R - how do you propose keep everyone on a level playing field. The only thing you will have is an honour system where everyone says "yes I'm running a 9 turn". There is no easy way to tech them.

540 is not a National class and to my mind never will be. Why? The motors are too inconsistent, too easy to "twist" and always brings out the trophy hunters. Having to cut open motors to scrutineer and replace the legal ones is not what I believe the clubs / scrutineers should have to do. Don't get me wrong, 540 has its place in club racing. Afterall its where we all(?) started.

So that leaves us with the current 2 national TC classes, stock and mod, with a possibility of creating a third - 19T or whatever controlled motor somebody can come up with. This would give us a total of 4 onroad classes (including 1/12th scale) which is more than enough.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

this is where I think we should be going in terms of classes for onroad

touring car 6 cells:
540, not a state/national event
27t stock,
19t super stock,
open modified, (brushed and brushless)

1/12 4 cell:
open modified (with the possibility to restrict to brushed mod motors only?)
Old 08-03-2006, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zacabrandy
Stock 27 turn
Mod R - 9 turn
All six cell classes
Open Mod,
I think there is far more credit and respect to a driver if he is able to qualify in the C final of his chosen class (say Re-buildable Stock) if this class extends right down to a G final. Being able to qualify in the B for 540, Stock, and/or 19t which only extend down to a C final due to the “diluted opportunities” are not achievements in my book.

I have nothing against 19t taking off, except at the expense of another class. Before it becomes a "National" class, I believe it should have some foundation at club level around the nation first. Is this the case at present?

Regards,
Peter
Old 08-03-2006, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Before it becomes a "National" class, I believe it should have some foundation at club level around the nation first.
Without it being a national class, what support will it get at club level?
I know around Sydney, 19 turn has far less on road racers interested due to the serious guys are running stock only because they want to keep on top of their game. Sort of a scratch my back senario.
As a few have posted here, if becomes a national class, the support will follow. But will it ?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastolfart
As a few have posted here, if becomes a national class, the support will follow. But will it ?
How has this been working out for 12th class around the nation? It's been a National event for many years, but I haven't seen it been supported locally for many years. Although many people have tried to encourage interest in 12th, it hasn't flown. Is the situation for 12th class the same here as elsewhere, I don't know for sure but I'm guessing it is…..

I don't think that’s a good enough argument to support 19t becoming a National event..... IMHO

Regards,
Peter
Old 08-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

that is the issue,

1, no one wanted to run 19t because its not a sanctioned for major events,
2, hardly no one moves out of 27t as the jump to mod is too great for many,

its a catch 22,
Old 08-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fastolfart
Without it being a national class, what support will it get at club level?
I know around Sydney, 19 turn has far less on road racers interested due to the serious guys are running stock only because they want to keep on top of their game. Sort of a scratch my back senario.
If its a national class racers will commit, they would have something to aim for, good reasons to practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.