Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2011 NSW Off-Road Club Series >

2011 NSW Off-Road Club Series

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 NSW Off-Road Club Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You rock Fordy, you and Steve both rock! Gonna have to do the camp over at maitland next time.

I owe you guys a big beer from 2 years ago.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Peli
No dropped round brings it back in favour with me...

im sure other people will think otherwise,people with familys,work,other sport commitments.....

I think its a sound,and fair idea...
Tricky. Yes. But it's a drivers championship. How much do you want it?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Be gentle with me, my 2c

Don't agree with dropping one chassis, some people only run one chassis and what happens if the only round they can make is the round where their chassis is dropped, not quite sure if this is the solution.
My view on SCT, it's a fun class to watch as a spectator i must admit i get drawn into watching it when it's run. if a spectator sees this as fun and exciting it could well be the catalyst for them going out and buying their first car which i'm sure is what's happening at Ryde, new blood is what we're after we all agree on this, and also gives these people the opportunity to enter a comp. we have to fit this class in somewhere in the same event on the same day
Old 11-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1
You rock Fordy, you and Steve both rock! Gonna have to do the camp over at maitland next time.

I owe you guys a big beer from 2 years ago.
There's only one thing better than beer, and thats free beer...looking forward to it. We need more campers, or "security" as Maitland calls it.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Peli and Nick. I hear exactly what you are saying because it is happening at Maitland too.

Now, as for what to do about it:
Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

one thing i'd like everyone to consider is introducing a control tyre to the CC events, (especially SCT if its brought in) ignoring all the politics about brands etc, if we made one control tyre across the buggies (2wd & 4wd rear / front), truck rear and SCT (front and rear) we could cut down more barriers to the sport, imagine not needing to bring a box load of tyres to an event, imagine a newbie not needing to worry about losing cos he didnt have the same tyres as the fast guy. i think it would be very easy to get a consensus out of the majoity on which tyre to pick.

Lets loosen up this "state titles" mentality too, most clubs allow any hard cased lipo to be used, this is a club series, same rules should apply

So, my summary
1. drop the entry fees to $20 for 1 class, $30 for 2 classes (see previous post)
2. Control tyre, choose a tyre for the year, how much cheaper will that make getting into the CC
3. Loosen up things like allowing any hard case lipo, if little johnny buys an SCT and thinks he should be able to race it at the CC, sure as hell he didnt worry about getting a roar approved lipo to put in it

PS my reasoning for especially wanting a control tyre in SCT is just the crazy number of different tyres available, in a million compunds, what a nightmare, plus the comparison was drawn using the mini class in on road, one thing that has made the mini class so successful has been the tight controls on a lot of components including speedy/motor, as well as the tyres
Old 11-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Tech Elite

+1 on the control tyre.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Control tyre yes....+2

Plenty of tyres from club racing will swing right in,DD's and Holeshots would fit all classes,at pretty much all tracks we run on......

Maybe restrict the amount that can be used to.....i see people putting on new sets every run
Old 11-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

+1 with the control tyre too

Maybe each club can nominate a tyre that will be used
at there event so we only need to buy a few different ones.

I like the idea of contrlling the number of tyres that can be used
but tyre wear is different in each class and each track has different
grip
Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

I'm not really sure a control tyre is viable. It works at State Titles because the suppliers have signed supply agreements with AARCMCC, to make sure we can get enough tyres at a fair price. Without that certainty there will be supply issues, accusations of selecting a control tyre that no one not from the host club can get, accusations that the control tyre doesn't suit the surface and wears too fast just to sell more tyres, etc. etc. you get the idea. Plus, some people don't enter State Titles because they have to buy new tyres, and can't just use the ones they have in their box. If we say you need to use a specific tyre that puts one more impediment in front of new racers who want to try it for the first time - especially those travelling for the first time. They have tyres that work at their club well, and would probably be near enough somewhere else for a first go.

I know there are a lot of different compounds and tread patterns in SCT tyres, but I saw them all work pretty much to the same level at the club meeting on the weekend.

----------

Maybe it is time to look at what is the least worst solution for SCT inclusion, rather than the best one, because there isn't a best one.

There is one thing that has been done before and we know works, but it is unpopular. ROORDA Tour rounds used to be 3 heats and 1 final.

If we have 3 heats and 1 final we can fit everyone in.

Then we can take as many entries as we can get in every class up until the close of entries date. Then if numbers are high 1 final is all everyone gets, if numbers are low we can have double or triple As.

----------

Personally the thought of having to do 3 runs against the clock and only getting 1 race turns me off a bit. I do have a solution for that though. We run the system backwards:

Say we have enough for 3 groups of a particular class. Then drivers are pre-graded based on their position in the championship (or last year's at the first round). 1st to the A heat, 2nd to the B heat, 3rd to the C heat, 4th to the C heat, 5th to the B heat, 6th to the A heat, 7th to the A heat, 8th to the B heat, 9th to the C heat, etc. People who haven't raced before would go in entry order.

We run heats as races. You get points against the others in your heat in the usual way as 2 out of 3. The top 3 in each heat group go through to the A final, with the next best point scorer grabbing the 10th spot.

The grid for the first heat would be in seeded order with the grid for subsequent heats being the finishing order from the last race.

There are some technicalities to work out, but basically you get a triple-race-heat, with a single race final. A decent amount of racing, and we can fit in all the classes we want.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

The tracks are usually prepped to a high enough standard, so it's safe to say that double dees or Holeshots will work for all the rounds.

Having just one type for all rounds would be easiest for the racers.

If the number of tyres are capped, this will be an extra chore for the clubs to administer and police. As mentioned above, would be good to keep relaxed on some rules.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Radio Active
I'm not really sure a control tyre is viable. It works at State Titles because the suppliers have signed supply agreements with AARCMCC, to make sure we can get enough tyres at a fair price. Without that certainty there will be supply issues, accusations of selecting a control tyre that no one not from the host club can get, accusations that the control tyre doesn't suit the surface and wears too fast just to sell more tyres, etc. etc. you get the idea. Plus, some people don't enter State Titles because they have to buy new tyres, and can't just use the ones they have in their box. If we say you need to use a specific tyre that puts one more impediment in front of new racers who want to try it for the first time - especially those travelling for the first time. They have tyres that work at their club well, and would probably be near enough somewhere else for a first go.

I know there are a lot of different compounds and tread patterns in SCT tyres, but I saw them all work pretty much to the same level at the club meeting on the weekend.

----------
I think the problem we face with this hobby as a sport is, it's full of naysayers and wingeing (like myself). There's usually stomping and crying, and a couple of people will boycott the event over something petty. Why take that to heart when there may be a positive proactive idea that will save money, give an even playing field, fair go for all and make most racers happy.

I didn't see any issues with 2010 state titles control tyres, and I don't recall hearing any issues with this years states control tyres. Racers are usually happy with a tyre like Holeshots because they wear well and will work well on other tracks after the event.

If it's up to the clubs to vote on what tyre they would want for whole series, I don't think there is any issues about filling up the importers pockets.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 1
The tracks are usually prepped to a high enough standard, so it's safe to say that double dees or Holeshots will work for all the rounds.

Having just one type for all rounds would be easiest for the racers.

If the number of tyres are capped, this will be an extra chore for the clubs to administer and police. As mentioned above, would be good to keep relaxed on some rules.
There is still the supply issue and it becomes more of an issue if you have to find those specific tyres for every round. If you can solve the logistical issue and still keep the LHSs that support our racing happy you are half way there.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 1
I didn't see any issues with 2010 state titles control tyres, and I don't recall hearing any issues with this years states control tyres. Racers are usually happy with a tyre like Holeshots because they wear well and will work well on other tracks after the event.
Yes, we selected Holeshots because they are known and trusted by racers, and were one of the few tyres we were able to test properly on the track. There were only just enough of them for the event though because the Vics used the same tyre as a control just 2 months beforehand.

But there was lots of pressure on us to go in a different direction. Suppliers are really keen to get their tyres out there. The AARCMCC supply contracts partly mitigate this pressure, without them it's a free for all and suppliers throw all sorts of deals at you to use their tyres which may not be the best tyres for the event. From a supplier's point of view they feel used by the situation as well, having to offer better and better deals just to get their tyres known by the market. You can see that in the trend for tyre sponsored events.

Edit: Gavin has been involved in the negotiation of supply contracts with AARCMCC, he is probably best placed to tell you whether a similar situation is possible for the Club Series.

Last edited by Radio Active; 11-21-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Ahhh, ok. Not that simple hey.

Thanks for the info.

Good discussions in general.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.