Search

2WDrivers Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by =FLIP=
I think the idea of a feeder class for 1/12 is ok but i found when i started racing 1/12 with a 10.5 i could not get around the track well .as soon as i bolted in 5.5 turn in boom more downforce more grip more fun and easier to drive.
its been said before but if spec 1/12 comes in wont it dilute the class ,as it isn't raced much across Australia no Victorians and only a few fast south Australians.
if it aint broken don't fix it
Thing is it is broke. Almost everyone currently racing 12th won't drop back from Mod (which is an issue for trying to get numbers in Stock for this series), so it won't dilute numbers in Open 12th. We've all done our apprenticeship somewhere else other than in 12th and we aren't interested in Stock any more.

It's the new people we want to race 17.5. It will generate numbers long term because there will actually be people acquainted with 12th looking to move up at some point. So we gain them rather than having to poach people from TC and offroad.

Edit: it could dilute the class if you make the spec class too fast like 10.5, but 17.5 would be slow enough that it won't be an issue.

Last edited by Radio Active; 01-18-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

What is the entry fee likely to be at Windsor?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Exactly!

People say 1/12th in the country comes and goes in waves, and they are right, but the reason that happens is because there is no feeder class. We have to attract racers from other classes who have little idea about pan cars to begin with. It would be a huge help if they were learning about their cars in a genuine initiate's class.

Rollout for a 17.5 should be around 100 mm or a little more, I've heard of people going as high as 120 mm, which sounds stupid, but there apparently aren't any issues.
These are my thoughts on 12th scale.....

12th scale needs to be split into 2 classes of racing. Traditional for those that want to run it, and a spec category.

The spec category needs to be controlled to a certain degree, spec a speedy and motor combination, the rest is open, ie tyres and bodies.

The spec category needs to be affordable to run and a feeder class. More importantly it needs to be a feeder class into RC racing. From there racers can then take themselves into the other area's of electic or gas racing.

When I started racing in 1984, you either raced 12th scale or 8th scale gas, very simple, 2 choices.

At the time my father indicated that he would not be "bank rolling" any of those activites and I got a job mowing lawns, washing cars after school and thats how I entered the racing world....

My point is it I could afford to do it at a young age, I must have raced for the whole season on $200 after setup.

Ask yourselves this question, how many young kids/familys are you seeing racing these days? Not many, and entering into electic TC's these days even at stock level is expensive and complex.

A 12th scale feeder class is a perfect, cost effective platform to allow people to enter the world of RC racing....

Best of luck with the series, its great to see and a big thanks should go to Badman for having the initiave to get it up and running.

Regards

Kyle
Old 01-19-2011, 04:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll add to Kyle's post..

A feeder class.needs to be speed and.power limited (aka 540 silvercan). This allows a less.than perfect racer to come to grips with the driving aspect much quicker. Also limited speeds provide closer racing and.allow newbies.to be.closer to the front of the pack.sooner. This all.helps in keeping people interested in running the class. How.would you feel jumping into 12th mod and being lapped 15 times each.run. People get.sick of this real quick.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I'll add to Kyle's post..

A feeder class.needs to be speed and.power limited (aka 540 silvercan). This allows a less.than perfect racer to come to grips with the driving aspect much quicker. Also limited speeds provide closer racing and.allow newbies.to be.closer to the front of the pack.sooner. This all.helps in keeping people interested in running the class. How.would you feel jumping into 12th mod and being lapped 15 times each.run. People get.sick of this real quick.
Yes, what you're saying is true. 540 Silver can is going a bit far with only 3.7V though. I've been investigating this for a while, talking to people etc. and I think 17.5 is the best option.

On the weekend the car running 17.5 had a best lap of 17.6 s in the final, managing 24 laps. Compare that to the first A final where Bradd did 34 laps with a best of 13.3 s. The ultimate pace of Stock is probably a bit quicker than 17.6 s, but for comparison that time is mid-field in the Mini A.

But anyway, basically we all agree this is something that needs to happen. I'm working on my club members, and am now going to try and initiate a class on club days. If you guys could get one or two to nominate too, we can get the class kicked-off here. Offer a spare car to someone if you can. If this doesn't launch at the first attempt we should keep trying, but hopefully we can get it off the ground.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Sorry for the confusion but I was using the 540 silvercan "TC" class as an example. I agree with 17.5.

BTW using brads time as the benchmark, low 14's would be possible with a 17.5 but far easier to drive.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sorry for the confusion but I was using the 540 silvercan "TC" class as an example. I agree with 17.5.

BTW using brads time as the benchmark, low 14's would be possible with a 17.5 but far easier to drive.

Wow i didnt realise i was so slow
Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Besercoe
Wow i didnt realise i was so slow
Lol... I just don't think the lap times vary all that much as you gain less advantage with horsepower in 12th as you would a TC.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Lol... I just don't think the lap times vary all that much as you gain less advantage with horsepower in 12th as you would a TC.
I think you're being a bit optimistic. Grant's average lap time to finish 2nd was a 14.6, so if you could do low 14s consistently you'd have finished 2nd! The car running a 13.5 fully timed in the B final had a best time of 15.469, I don't think you could go much quicker than that with a 17.5 under the same conditions.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Radio Active
I think you're being a bit optimistic. Grant's average lap time to finish 2nd was a 14.6, so if you could do low 14s consistently you'd have finished 2nd! The car running a 13.5 fully timed in the B final had a best time of 15.469, I don't think you could go much quicker than that with a 17.5 under the same conditions.
I'll make a point to turn a lap at CC with my 12th (might even run it) with a 17.5 and we will see.... Now just have to get my hands on a 17.5 that hasn't been melted by guns!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Entries

When are entries starting up on this one?

Badman do we just send them to u? Or is Chopper handling that?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by warnos
When are entries starting up on this one?

Badman do we just send them to u? Or is Chopper handling that?
It will probably be enter and pay on the day for the 1st year at least.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

im like a little kid at christmas cait wait for this event
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Who is up for some 12th scale action at Whalan on sunday?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz
Who is up for some 12th scale action at Whalan on sunday?
Might come out and run my WGT CAR let me no if ya go out!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.