Hitec CG-340

Old 05-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hitec CG-340

Hello,

I just recently bought a CG-340 NiCad/NiMh Field Charger. I would like to know how do I use this charger efficiently. The LHS I bought from ain't much help as she doesn't speak english fluently and I don't really understand what she's trying to say.

My questions are;

1) Can it be connected to a car battery? A normal car that is, the CG-340 accepts max 12V. *I presume normal cars are running at that voltage?

2) What if I want to use it indoors to, charge it to a normal power supply since it's a DC charger? Do I need an AC/DC current/voltage converter?

3) Is it a fast charger? Can the batteries I use be charged say, in 10-15 mins time? If so, how do I do the settings?

4) The charger can charge up to 16 cells, means I can charge 2 dynamite pack at a go with series connection. Manual says, to connect the batteries in series. I need to discharge it at the same amp, is it truly safe? Again, what's the settings?

FYI, my batteries are 1700 NiCd.

Thanks guys! Need answers ASAP!
Old 05-02-2003, 11:22 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

CG-340 instructions PDF

1:) Yes

2:) You will need a DC pwer supply to run off of AC

3:) No, this really isn't considered a FAST charge type of charger.
it has a MAX rate of:

NiCd Charge Rate:
4-5 Cell - 0.2-1.5 Amp.
6-16 Cell - 0.2 -3.0 Amp.
NiMH Charge Rate:
4-16 Cell - 0.2-1.5 Amp.

4:) I would recimend a set of bulbs or a dischage device that will do around 20A for your packs.

Last edited by Tres; 05-03-2003 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Hey thanks Tres, 1 more question. How long does it take usually to charge at those rates?

again thanks.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:52 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Charging at 3A for one hour is equal to 3000mAh.

depending on how good of shape your 1700 packs are in, around 35 min.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Tech Addict

Hhmm an hour. Well I tried the CG-340 today, I hooked it up to my company's van. The engine and battery is right under the front seat and I have no problem putting the charger safely to one side if you ask me.

I let the engine run and travelled for about 15-20 mins. By the time I reach my destination, my batt is charged and as it's niCad, the CG-340 switch to trickle mode. The charger, felt really hot. Safety first, I unplugged it and let it cool down. That was in the afternoon. I got back around midnight and use the battery I charged earlier on. Surprisingly, the run time is normal, about 5-7mins.

Question is, do you think it's really safe to charge it while driving? I'm not sure....