Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree29Likes

HobbyTown Tucson AZ

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mrbirchum
Hello all,

I used to race at SRS and Fear Farm up in PHX about 6 years ago. Now I find myself in Tucson (about 5 minutes from the now closed Competition Hobbies dammit) and getting the itch to get back into things. Looks like Hobbytown is the only option here now with the sports park closing off Ina/I10.

I see they are switching things up with Astroturf or whatever, but wondering what are the popular classes here. I ran an SC10 and dabbled in the SC10 4x4 (and got my @ss handed to me by Tommy Hinz, Ryan Maifield, et al) so just checking to see what would be a good class for a novice to get reacquainted with. At SRS most classes were dominated by the local pros, so looking for something that mere humans might be competitive in.

Thanks!
2WD Buggy, both stock and mod , Mod SC, Mod 4wd Buggy 13.5 4WD buggy, and novice are the primary off road classes. 17.5 late model and Mod Sprint car are the main oval classes.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies fellas. Buggy doesn't really appeal to me as much as Shortcourse. I found that Hobbytown Tucson is connected to LiveRc http://hobbytowntucsonraceway.liverc.com/so I guess I'll watch that to see how it goes with the new track layout and what classes are digging the carpet.

Hello all,

I used to race at SRS and Fear Farm up in PHX about 6 years ago. Now I find myself in Tucson (about 5 minutes from the now closed Competition Hobbies dammit) and getting the itch to get back into things. Looks like Hobbytown is the only option here now with the sports park closing off Ina/I10.

I see they are switching things up with Astroturf or whatever, but wondering what are the popular classes here. I ran an SC10 and dabbled in the SC10 4x4 (and got my @ss handed to me by Tommy Hinz, Ryan Maifield, et al) so just checking to see what would be a good class for a novice to get reacquainted with. At SRS most classes were dominated by the local pros, so looking for something that mere humans might be competitive in.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

How was the Astro turf?
Old 02-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bubonic-X
How was the Astro turf?
First race on turf will be next week
Old 02-06-2017, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

Hello all,

Thanks!
i made a hybrid car, which i sign up as short course stadium buggy, that goes into multiple configs using various tires and bodies along with a stealthy paint job so no one notices
Attached Thumbnails HobbyTown Tucson AZ-scstb.jpg   HobbyTown Tucson AZ-scstb1.jpg  
Old 02-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Riverbluff
First race on turf will be next week
Post some pics when you get a chance
Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/614564528699242/

Old 02-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

I was talking about with the Astro down
Old 02-07-2017, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bubonic-X
I was talking about with the Astro down
Turf is down now. Pictures to come shortly.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Old 02-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Tech Master

seems to be some confusion when it comes to tires. i'm getting this from some racers who want to run what they have. i was told by someone who FBs it was posted that racers can run their tires they had been running. i responded....of course, why not and when the track was dirt you could have run slicks and smoothies if you wanted too and run less than ideal tires for the track surface.

from my understanding HT has not mandated that you have to run the carpet tires. HT ordered them in and priced them at reduced costs to make it easier/cheaper for racers to transition and be prepared. the shumacher, etc. harder rubber tires with stiffer pins are considered optimal for traction on astro.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
seems to be some confusion when it comes to tires. i'm getting this from some racers who want to run what they have. i was told by someone who FBs it was posted that racers can run their tires they had been running. i responded....of course, why not and when the track was dirt you could have run slicks and smoothies if you wanted too and run less than ideal tires for the track surface.

from my understanding HT has not mandated that you have to run the carpet tires. HT ordered them in and priced them at reduced costs to make it easier/cheaper for racers to transition and be prepared. the shumacher, etc. harder rubber tires with stiffer pins are considered optimal for traction on astro.
You can run whatever tire you'd like.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

The opening day race for the astro turf track was a surprise trophy race event, some racers traveled from Yuma, Phoenix (area), and along with a group from New Mexico. the astro being new, cars drifting on the main straight was rather unique and unnerving for some, while others knew exactly what to do. the dirt oval track was also redone, the surface was pristine. some of the better oval drivers were up 3-4 laps over what they normally run
Attached Thumbnails HobbyTown Tucson AZ-astro2.jpg   HobbyTown Tucson AZ-oval1.jpg  
Old 02-27-2017, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I got a chance to visit the track this last weekend and I say I was impressed track was very fun to drive on traction was great and I cleaned my car with a brush when I was done. I am officially in love with the astro and will definitely be back.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

seriously nice not having to clean mud off tires. the astro is nice, tons of traction, and it is getting broken in so cars angle track less.

Hobbytown crew is now lost at times, no longer having to water the dirt off road track every 2-3 heats, but they still gave the dirt oval which they can pay more attention to.

HT is constructing on some smaller jumps, not sure if they may replace a few of the bigger jumps. 2wd and 4wd buggies have no issues with the big jumps, however SC are parachuting massively, wind gusts cause havoc on them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.