Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Arizona-New Mexico Racing
AZ Paved Oval Racing - March Madness Mini Series '24 >

AZ Paved Oval Racing - March Madness Mini Series '24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AZ Paved Oval Racing - March Madness Mini Series '24

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default AZ Paved Oval Racing - March Madness Mini Series '24

We've got a rare opportunity to hold (3) RC Oval Races in a Single Month at the Tucson Quarter Midget Track in Marana AZ (Just outside Tucson).

Racing at "The Big O R/C Speedway" as we call it for our RC Oval events is usually a bi-monthly thing at best, but we had the opportunity to grab (3) events in March this year, thanks in part to 5 Weekends.

So, our March Madness "Mini Series" will take place

•Race 1 - March 2nd
•Race 2 - March 16th
•Race 3 - March 29th ** This is also our 4th Annual Southwest Paved Oval Championship event.

The track is a paved 350ft Quarter Midget track with concrete corners.
Speeds in the faster classes hit over 35 MPH with other classes in the 25-30 MPH range.

Our current "Most Popular" Class is the 2wd Traxxas Slash based Super Stock class - which runs the 12t Brushed Motor and XL-5 ESC on a mostly stock 2wd SC Truck configuration with a Stock Car type body.

We are running up to 12 classes on Race Days if the turnout is there. Those classes include

Buggy Street Stock
Slash Super Stock
Tucson Sport Modified
"Modified" Dirt Late Model
13.5t Wingless Sprint
"Modified" WINGED Sprint
AE SR-10 "Factory Stock"
SC Super Late Model (10.5t / Blinky)
ROOKIE
NOVICE
and introducing 1/7th Scale Arrma Infraction "Stock Car' (on 4 cell only)

We do require a CURRENT R.O.A.R. membership for ALL Drivers at The Big O R/C Speedway

We have a great group of mostly local to the Tucson AZ area racers, who are friendly and helpful.

Come check us out on Facebook - our group page is - https://www.facebook.com/groups/449266479477980

Old 02-26-2024, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone have a RULES LIST? I have all of the crap to go racing I just don't want to show up and be told "Ya Built it Wrong"
EDIT: Also, what tires are good?
Old 03-06-2024, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Race Report:

The track is fairly nice, very fast, and driveable for offroad based cars. It is NOT smooth enough for pan cars but is not surprising as it is a Quater Midgets track. The drivers stand is good, people are generally friendly and appropriately professional, no pounding stereos or other such things.

There is no on-site power or water, you will need to bring a generator or beg, borrow or trade for some power from someone else. On site shade is limited, and if you bring your own you should bring a lot of weights to keep it from blowing away. Needless to say there is no on-site hobby shop but we knew that and there are some racers who are willing to sell you a set of tires or other consumables if needed.

The race format is very strange. I believe they are playing with it but this weekend it went by LAPS not TIME and is NOT IFMAR STARTS for qualifiers. I don't particularly think this is good for RC racing when your qualifiers are only 3 minutes long.

There were many, many delays and breaks and issues that dragged the day out much longer than needed but I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and call this a fluke.

Overall it was a good time when you're on the track and running, there is another round in two weeks that I will be going to and hopefully it runs a bit more smoothly.