Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Strictly R/C 2012 Outdoor Racing Season >

Strictly R/C 2012 Outdoor Racing Season

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strictly R/C 2012 Outdoor Racing Season

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

So is the verdict bad on the t3r? I have been tossing around trying on road with Jeff as well. 6 blocks from my house is hard to beat!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slaytanic
So is the verdict bad on the t3r? I have been tossing around trying on road with Jeff as well. 6 blocks from my house is hard to beat!
Car should run good but depends how serious you want to get with onroad. Take a look at the T3 2012 or if you want to save $ the Tc6.1 is a very good car for less
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Can someone tell me what the Mini rules are exactly? Are all of the races in the area following the same rules?

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nexus
I still think a basic RTR or Short Course class would attract more of the locals who walk by. A person could literally walk in and buy the RTR or something like a SC10RS that someone is racing with.

Not many will walk in and ask for a $400-500 TC roller and still want to spend money on electronics. I'm all for a shorter day, but I'm also interesting in Strictly making money to keep the track alive.

Heck I'd race a RTR SC
Guys, we have a stock slash at the streamwood track if anyone is intersted.

Dave
Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slaytanic
Originally Posted by B.JUCHA
Car should run good but depends how serious you want to get with onroad. Take a look at the T3 2012 or if you want to save $ the Tc6.1 is a very good car for less
Matt, Good luck finding the T3R. I looked at them but they are out of stock everywhere. If you want to do it just get the TC6.1. Strictly has a good price on them. I bought the last one they had in stock but if you call them tomorrow and have them order it you could be building later this week. I just finished building mine this afternoon. The kit seems like its pretty solid. A few annoying things that didn't fit quite right but a little fiddling and its all set up now. Im sure the xray kit is a little nicer but this looks like it should be a fun kit to race. Parts are pretty cheap and easy to get and trying to figure this out if we are both running the same thing will be easier.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jhautz
Matt, Good luck finding the T3R. I looked at them but they are out of stock everywhere.
I saw a T3R kit at Al's last time I was there. If I remember correctly, they were only asking $275 for it.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
Can someone tell me what the Mini rules are exactly? Are all of the races in the area following the same rules?

Thanks
Dave
In the past few years since I started racing in the Mini class, the rules have been the same as the TCS rules. Recently, Tamiya introduced a Mini Pro class in addition to the standard Mini class where the rules for both classes remained the same with the exception of the motor being used. The Pro class was using 17.5T brushless motors w/Blinky and the Standard Mini class stuck with the same old Johnson silver can.

These are the TCS rules:

Mini Rules
Recommended Minimum Skill Level: Intermediate: adequate driving ability with some race experience.
- Legal chassis platforms: M03, M05 and M06 chassis cars that use the 60D size tire or smaller.
- Current TAMIYA Mini bodies available for the M03, M05 and M06 are legal.
- Any Tamiya MINI body parts set made for the M-03, M-05, M-06 may be used on any chassis platform.
- Motor Rules: Tamiya 540-J Johnson motor, item 53689. Johnson 540-J motors are limited to 18,750 RPM
- Tamiya internal gears only. Aftermarket idler and spur gears are not legal.
- Battery rules: Any Legal TCS battery. Note: LIPO battery packs used in the Mini class must be a rounded profile for use on the M03 and M05 chassis platforms. Grinding the battery slot to fit rectangular batteries is not allowed.
- All M-chassis cars must meet a minimum weight of 1250 grams.
- Spec Tires: The Mini class must use the Tamiya pre-mounted and glued spec tires manufactured by Tamiya; items 1016, 1028 and 1029. See rule #35 under "General Rules" for specifics. Note: This rule is enforced at every TCS location.

Mini PRO Rules
Recommended Minimum Skill Level: Intermediate; adequate driving ability with some race experience.
This version of the Mini class uses the exact same rules and structure as the regular M-chassis class. The only exception is the use of a “spec” selection of 17.5 brushless motors and “no-timing boost” ESC’s.

- Legal chassis platforms: M03, M05 and M06 chassis cars that use the 60D size tire or smaller.
- Current TAMIYA Mini bodies available for the M03, M05 and M06 are legal.
FWD minis must use FWD body types. RWD minis must use RWD body types.
- Motor Rules: See brushless motor chart for legal 17.5 motors. Note: Physical motor timing is allowed as are ROAR legal size tuning rotors.
- No BOOST ESC rules: See TCS ESC chart for legal ESC’s.
- Tamiya internal gears only. Aftermarket idler and spur gears are not legal.
- Battery rules: Any Legal TCS battery. Note: LiPO battery packs used in the Mini class must be a rounded profile for use on the M03 and M05 chassis platforms. Grinding the battery slot to fit rectangular batteries is not allowed.
- All M-chassis cars must meet a minimum weight of 1250 grams.
- Spec Tires: The Mini class must use the Tamiya pre-mounted and glued spec tires manufactured by Tamiya; items 1016, 1028 and 1029. See rule #35 under "General Rules" for specifics. Note: This rule is enforced at every TCS location.

The Mini rules for the Scale Nats was still basically TCS rules with the exception of 21.5T motor w/Blinky OR the traditional Johnson silver can and not limited to Tamiya only bodies. Eric has done comparisons using both motor setups and found them to be quite evenly matched (much like the the 21.5/Silver can motors used in the F1 class). On asphalt I would imagine a 17.5T would tear through sets of tires way too quickly - $35-$40/set for the premounts is a bit much for a class that is supposed to be fairly low budget.

My vote goes for same rules as the Scale Nats for club racing, but leaving tire choice open for any 55mm or 60mm tire. This would open up more affordable choices such as the Sweep 55mm premounts ($25/set). The no double stuffing rule would still apply of course!

Last edited by alphaqgti; 04-22-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz
Matt, Good luck finding the T3R. I looked at them but they are out of stock everywhere. If you want to do it just get the TC6.1. Strictly has a good price on them. I bought the last one they had in stock but if you call them tomorrow and have them order it you could be building later this week. I just finished building mine this afternoon. The kit seems like its pretty solid. A few annoying things that didn't fit quite right but a little fiddling and its all set up now. Im sure the xray kit is a little nicer but this looks like it should be a fun kit to race. Parts are pretty cheap and easy to get and trying to figure this out if we are both running the same thing will be easier.
I found one for a good price. That's why I asked. Trying to save a little coin since Ill need a few more things to get up and running. You shoulda got an xray! You know better. LOL
Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Mini class will fallow AA rules. For club racing bring them out and we will see what we can do
Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alphaqgti
I saw a T3R kit at Al's last time I was there. If I remember correctly, they were only asking $275 for it.
I saw it on Friday night still so I doubt its gone.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
I saw it on Friday night still so I doubt its gone.
They only issue I see with the T3R is the fiberglass chassis might be inconsistent when the traction comes up. We have a great price for the. TC6.1. Also, Speed Passion speed controls which in my opinion are the best for mod racing will be in stock by end of week at a great price.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by A.Werstein
Mini class will fallow AA rules. For club racing bring them out and we will see what we can do
What are "AA" rules??

Ramon, I've been reading that they will allow 21.5 brushless motors in lieu of silver can motors, what's the deal with this? Will all local tracks be running this mini and mini pro class? In mini class, must you use the stock ESC?

Dave
Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

What are "AA" rules??

Ramon, I've been reading that they will allow 21.5 brushless motors in lieu of silver can motors, what's the deal with this? Will all local tracks be running this mini and mini pro class? In mini class, must you use the stock ESC?

Dave
Asphalt Assault.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

So the tamiya rules don't apply to races in this area? I'd like to perhaps race at harbor hobbies, AA races, hobbytown races and any other local races but I don't want to be legal for one and not the rest if possible. Went to the AA 2012 post and all I see is 21.5 blinky, what about the rest of the rules? Weight, gearing, tires, etc? Is the brushed motor/esc acceptable?

Thanks

Dave
Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

So the tamiya rules don't apply to races in this area? I'd like to perhaps race at harbor hobbies, AA races, hobbytown races and any other local races but I don't want to be legal for one and not the rest if possible. Went to the AA 2012 post and all I see is 21.5 blinky, what about the rest of the rules? Weight, gearing, tires, etc? Is the brushed motor/esc acceptable?

Thanks

Dave
That would be a question for Eric Whiteside he is the AA race organizer.
You can find him on the Harbor Hobbies forum. IF you are only able to run a silver can then I dont have a problem with you running with all the other minis as long as you dont have an advantage. IF there are enough to run with silvercan and 21.5 in seperate classes then on a drivers vote we will split the cars up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.