Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5th Scale Onroad Racing in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sorry that I have been off the grid for a moment. Been working some channels to get some 5th scale sponsorship for the upcoming Texas Biggie. I have also been working to try to get a few of the Cali guys to come down to race with us with their higher-end 5th scale cars. Still a work in progress......
Old 04-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Picked up some local support for the 5th scale class for the upcoming Texas Biggie and 5th scale racing in Texas going forward. The owner of Banana Raceway in Richardson, Texas and his business partner have purchased vehicles to participate in the upcoming Biggie and will support future 5th scale racing in my region. Welcome aboard Banana Raceway!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Here are the rules, in a cleaner format, for 5th scale racing in the Texas State series (SWCS):

5th Scale Rules for the SWCS

The SWCS of Texas will be offering the following classes in the 5th scale class for racing at its track at Rendon, Texas (www.rcrcnt.com):

GT - 2 door coupe bodies
STC - 4 door sedan bodies
F-1
Sportsline Spec Class

The entire program will be primarily following IFMAR rules (see below link):

http://www.ifmar.org/pdf/rules/ifmar...track_2015.pdf

The new class added to the 5th scale program was the Sportsline Spec Class to help keep entry into 5th scale racing more affordable and bring fun back to remote control car racing. The rules for this class are as follows:

Chassis
-Short chassis lengths of 510mm to long chassis lengths up to 535mm are eligible.
-Cars can be either 2wd or 4wd
-The cars allowed in the class are primarily the FG Sportsline chassis. Other brand of cars, like the MCD will be at an evaluation level

Engine/Pipe
-Engines must be box stock. No modding of the engine or aftermarket modded engines are allowed
-2wd cars are only allowed to run 23cc/24cc engines
-4wd cars are only allowed to run 26cc/27cc engines
-Pipes must be the stock pipe that comes with the car. No modding of the pipe or no aftermarket pipes are allowed (like the Samba pipe)
-Max venturi diameter on the carburetor limited to 13mm
-No reed intakes allowed

Tires
-Any brand of 5th scale tires are allowed
-Tires cannot be softer than 40 shore (The FG Sportsline RTR come with 40 shores)
-Tires can be either treaded or slicks. Tires can be teched at any given time.
-No traction compounds allowed

Suspension/Drivetrain
-No one-ways or spools are allowed on the 4wd cars. Racers are allowed to change diff oils/grease but front diff must maintain diff action
-No Active Diffs are allowed on the 2wd cars. Like the 4wd cars, racers will be allowed to change diff oils/grease but the diff must maintain diff action
-Changing of shock oils and springs are allowed. Shocks must use factory mounting holes on shock towers/suspension arms (not allowed to drill additional holes)
-No 2-speed transmissions allowed

This is just a starting baseline set of rules that are open to additions/modifications as needed.

One rule that will apply to all classes will be the use of a remote kill switch. Safely operating these huge cars is #1. So that there are no dangerous runaways that could seriously injure someone, programmable kill switches will be mandatory, NO EXCEPTIONS. A racer will not be allowed to put his car on the track if he/she cannot demonstrate that they have an active kill switch on their car. Here are examples of ones that can be used:

http://www.davesmotors.com/Dynamite-...ll-Switch.html

http://www.davesmotors.com/Killer-RC...tch-Combo.html

In addition to the kill-switch rule, here is another rule (from the ROAR 5th scale section) that all racers must follow:

10.8.2 No onboard traction control or other electronic aids are allowed, other than other than fail-safe systems

This pertains to gyros/D-boxes used on steering the car.

Again, with safety being our biggest concern, please follow this ROAR rule in regards to marshalling 5th scale qualifiers/mains:

10.12.1.7 A Red Flag condition must be called prior to anyone going onto the racetrack. No corner marshals or mechanics are allowed on the track during practice or racing without a Red Flag being called. Marshals will wait until race vehicles come to a complete stop before entering racing area. Track maintenance must be done under a Red Flag conditions

Since these cars have long run times per a tank of fuel, I would like to deviate from the norm that most nitro racers are accustom. Here are the rules in regards to running qualifiers and mains for 5th scale:

Qualifying
-Qualifiers will be 10 minutes with one mandatory three second pitstop (more of a stop & go) that has to be taken. The pit cannot be taken within the first or last minute of the qualifier but can be taken anytime between the second and ninth minute.

Mains
Main lengths are as follows:

A-main – 30 minutes
B-main – 20 minutes
C main and below – 15 minutes

In the A and B mains, two (2) mandatory pit stops must be taken, none to be taken within the first or last minute of the race. This way, there would still be a bit a strategy as far as race planning. You could make more stops if needed but two of them would be mandatory.

In the C mains and below, one (1) mandatory pit stop must be taken (similar to how it is done in qualifying).

If during any of the qualifiers or mains a red flag is called, this rule will be adhered to if you refuse to obey:

10.13.1.2 Failure to obey a Red Flag will result in disqualification from the race in which the offense occurred

Here is another very important rule in regards to the fueling of cars during a qualifier/main. This is the ROAR version of the rule but IFMAR has a similar rule:

10.9.1 No refueling is allowed after the warm-up period for a race has begun, and no refueling is allowed during the running of any Qualifier or Main event

We all strive for more track time at the races we attend. I am hoping that this would give racers more track time competing against fellow racers instead of burning fuel and tires, constantly chasing tune/setup, and the constant wrenching in the pits. Less wrenching = more racing enjoyment.

This is just the beginning with more information/rules to come. Please feel free to ask me questions or make any suggestions. The goal is to grow this class of racing and keep the competition fun and enjoyable for all that participate.

Last edited by JLock; 05-18-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Here is an addendum to the above rules in regards to how the mains will be run going forward.

Addendum A

Additional rules for the 5th scale Mains
All mains will seat eight (8) cars with a two (2) car bump-up from the previous main. In the event that a lower main only seats four (4) cars, only one (1) car will bump to the next main. In the event that there are not enough participants/entrants to have at least four (4) in a lower main, then all participants will run in the corresponding main (i.e.: if only eleven (11) entrees are present, all eleven (11) will run the A-main, if only 19 entrees are present, eight (8) will seat the A-main with eleven (11) seating in the B-main, etc.).

Last edited by JLock; 05-04-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Additional rules in regards to fuel specifically for the Sportsline Spec Class:

Addendum B

Fuels and additives
-Gasoline no higher than 94 Octane is to be used in the Sportsline Spec Class
-Octane boosters or other additives outside of two stroke oil are prohibited in the mixing of fuel for use in the Sportsline Spec Class. Violators will be disqualified from the running the class, relegating them to the STC/GT open classes.
-VP premix fuel is permitted in the Sportsline Spec Class. Octane boosters and other additives are prohibited from mixing with this fuel as well, no exceptions

Last edited by JLock; 05-18-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

The Texas Biggie is about 3 weeks away and it is looking like the participation in the Sportsline Spec Class has doubled since the first race. If every shows, we are looking to field 10 cars for the race thus far!! We hope that some others from around the country will come on down and join in the fun. We are looking to put on a show for the other fellow racers and have tons of fun while doing it.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

This is not a photoshop trick. Yes, you are seeing double. The car on the left is a 2wd FG Sportsline geared to run in the STC class to go along with my 4wd FG Sportsline for the Spec class (car on the right). The 2wd car has been modded with hydraulic brakes and a couple of other goodies.
Attached Thumbnails 5th Scale Onroad Racing in Texas-20160510_193505.jpg   5th Scale Onroad Racing in Texas-20160510_193541.jpg   5th Scale Onroad Racing in Texas-20160506_212939.jpg   5th Scale Onroad Racing in Texas-20160506_212931.jpg  
Old 05-16-2016, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

The Texas Biggie is next weekend and for the 5th scale guys, got something for you to look forward to for the event. With the help and support of FG Supply, there will be not one but two 5th scale bodies to be raffled off at the event. They will be the Killam Racing BMW 320i body similar to the one in this link:

http://www.fgsupply.com/1_5th_Scale_...0i_Body_1.html

FG Supply has also been supporting the Texas 5 behind the scenes with PMT tires in which I will have a few available for sale if anyone needs tires at the event. Thank you FG Supply for all your help and support!!
Old 05-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

The lastest addition to my 5th scale armada: a 4wd short chassis (510mm) FG Sportsline Porsche. A sweet ride with plenty of pep in its 26cc engine. Could possibly be available to anyone that is looking to get into the Sportsline Spec class without spending over $1K.
Attached Thumbnails 5th Scale Onroad Racing in Texas-20160514_152503.jpg   5th Scale Onroad Racing in Texas-20160514_152514.jpg   5th Scale Onroad Racing in Texas-20160514_152536.jpg  
Old 05-18-2016, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Had to make a change in the octane rating in Addendum B. It was brought to my attention (and finally found in further research) that the fuel VP uses is 94, not 93, octane. So, the rule was tweaked to accommodate for the new information.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

This is some useful information in regards to the PMT tire brand for 5th scale racing. Their 5th scale tires are divided into two (2) categories: cold asphalt and hot asphalt. Here is the breakdown of their categories.
Let us start with the cold asphalt tires. They are known as the H-series tires. Their shore range is from 40 to 50. The tires designation and rating is as follows:

H05 – 40 shore Soft
H07 – 43 shore Medium Soft
H10 – 45 shore Medium
H20 – 50 shore Hard

The next series of tires is for hot asphalt. They are known as the X-series tires. Their shore range is from 40 to 43. The tires designation and rating is as follows:

X03 – 40 shore Super Soft
X05 – 43 shore Soft
X07 – Shore unknown but described as a soft rear tire for the 2wd cars
Old 05-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Here is the long awaited video that was shot of the very first 5th scale main run at RCRCNT in Rendon, Texas on 3/20/16. It was shot from my vantage point. I got lucky and won but only because Brent ran out of fuel and Aaron broke a shock on his car which hindered its performance.

https://youtu.be/mEPOnJ3XOrA
Old 06-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

There have been some revision to the rules for the 5th scale class running in Texas. You can either refer back to the first page of this thread or click on the below link:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/14321168-post1.html
Old 06-14-2016, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Had a little test and tune session with one of the Texas 5 members this past Saturday. I tested the VP Fuels Premix 25:1 fuel. It is a fuel that is being considered as the spec fuel going forward for the class. My car had a little more pep to it over the pump fuel that I had been using. I was pleased with this first round of test results with the VP fuel. I will use it in the upcoming state series race next weekend for a full race evaluation.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Here is the video from the 5th scale Sportsline Spec Class A-main from the Texas Biggie back on May 29, 2016. This is my first try at video editing. I usually have a friend do it for me. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/KAL8Q7ehUDo

Last edited by JLock; 06-23-2016 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Updating the post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.