Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread! >

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cobracoupe5
Remember.......I tried to tell you that when you first posted about your problem. I just installed my new LRP esc and all my problems were fixed and the tech at Castle Creations blamed every other component on my car as the problem.

Castle = Junk

4-18-09 "Cut your losses and buy a good esc. That's what I had to do. They will blame your problem on everything else but their own product.

It seems you got taken just like me."
cobra...did you send it in? Whom did you speak with? You have a 1 year warranty and we do not charge to check out your product. If it's found to be manufacturer's defect we replace it for you at no cost.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Glowster21
Hey all....I just finished and 8th scale conversion with a Mamba Monster Max and a 2650 Motor. Armed and calibrated fine, bu it seemed strange that the cooling fan came on immediately. I thought it only came on once the esc hits 150? Anyway, I made 4 or 5 60 to 70 foot passes, checked the motor temp and it was still cold, then took it for another pass and the car just stopped dead. Servo still works but no chirping from the motor. Hooked it up to the Castle Link, updated the firmware, went to recalibrate and still no chirps. I'm running a Kyosho 777WC with the MMM v3 2650 Combo, Stock 48 Tooth Spur, Robinson 13 Tooth Pinion, 4s 5000mah pack.
Anyone have any clue what may be going on? I've run CC systems before with no problems at all....I hope this didn't fry already?!?
HELP!!!!

I would look at the cut off voltage. If using 4Lipo I would try something around 12,2v~12,4v.

Look if the batteries are really charged.

Have you tried another battery?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joe Ford
Give us a call. 913-390-6939 and hit 1 for tech support. We'll get you out an advanced replacement as you just got the system. Fan shouldn't come on with that setup anywhere near when it is, if at all.
Joe thanks for the quick response! I was on the phone with Thomas before I saw you're post. What do you need from me to send me an advanced replacement? As I figures and stated to cobra, you guys are awesome.
Thanks!
Joe
Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PDM
I would look at the cut off voltage. If using 4Lipo I would try something around 12,2v~12,4v.

Look if the batteries are really charged.

Have you tried another battery?
Yeah I went through all that stuff. I've been doing this for a while and know that every so often you could have a minor issue like this. I just talked to Thomas at CC and Joe Ford sent me some info as well. As expected, all they want to do is help because thats what they do! Castle has always stood behind their products and provided customer service that is second to none!

Joe Ford....You have PM
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Replied to your PM. Give us a call back. Talked w/Thomas, he'll get you fixed up.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Replied to your PM. Give us a call back. Talked w/Thomas, he'll get you fixed up.
Joe thanks again. I just got off the phone with Thomas and he's taking care of it for me. I really wish some of the "forum jockies" that are out there would follow the proper steps before throwing an international tantrum. I completely understand that you guys have no idea if something went bad in a unit until you actually see that unit. The other thing is that you may be able to help other people as well should a similar problem arise.
I've said it before and I'll say it again....Castle Creations and the folks that work there are outstanding! You not only stand behind the product you sell 100% but you also show genuine concern for the customer regarding down time due to a possible problem.
Nothing will ever go into my 1/8th Scale Conversions unless it is a Castle Creations product! I am without a doubt a raving fan.....
Thanks again,
Joe
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've got a question about temps. I've got the MMM/2200kV combo in an 8ight buggy. The thing is friggin awesome by the way. No problems so far and the power is off the charts. I've had it since January so temps haven't been a big concern here in Utah where I've been running it in 30-60F temperatures. We're starting to get warmer now though so I've been taking temp readings a few times per run. I mostly bash running 5S LiPo's and haven't gotten above 150F, with normal temps around 120-140F.

My question is, where is the best place on the motor and the ESC to take a temp and what is the best method? I'm using a Pro Exotics PE-2 IR temp gun to take temps which I figure is pretty reliable. But if I take the motor temp on the back on the motor it might be 10-20F higher than if I take the temp on the center of the can. Since this is the hottest part of the motor I figured I'd use this to be safe. Also, on the ESC, I can get a variety of temps but usually get the hottest around the base. I'm assuming this is the best place since that probably where the capacitors are?

Also, will the ESC shut down if the temps reach too high? If so, what temp will it shut off at? Does the motor have some sort of failsafe as well? From what I've read it doesn't seem like it but figured I'd ask.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Only sensored motors have the ability to report temperature to the ESC...

Otherwise, the ESC would need an extra wire or two for a temperature lead.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Glowster21
Easy there! I've been doing this long enough to know that stuff happens. You could say the same things you bring up about any manufacturer out there as it all comes down to personal experience. I've used the Mamba Max since the day it was released, the Sidewinder, and now the Monster Max and any time I've had the slightest issue the folks at Castle Creations have been fantastic. I'm sure this will get handled properly and in a very timely manner as thats what CC does. I understand you had a bad experience but with these guys that is the exception and not the norm. I'm so confident about their product that I bought another Monster Max combo over the weekend so that I could verify which component I had the problem with, and for the simple fact that I'm doing another 1/8th Conversion and want to stick with the Monster Max because of CC's top notch service. I emailed Joe Ford Saturday, sent an email to CC support yesterday, and am going to call in today. I know they're busy and will get back to me soon.
No need to come on the forums and openly bash a very reputable company, even though you had a bad experience.
I have every right to "bash" a 4 day old product that they didn't stand behind and I'm glad you had a good experience even though you had to purchase another setup to get it to work correctly. Now with that out of the way......

Was the tech I spoke with a nice guy, Yes. Would I buy another CC product when the first one that is 4 days old doesn't work correctly, NO. If I was told, send it back to us and we will make it right, I wouldn't be here now. If I have to modify a brand new esc to work as it should then something is not right with the product. I asked nicely several times for them to make things right which they didn't so, you will see a lot more of posts like this one until they do.

I work hard for my money, I want what I paid for, and I feel as if I have been stolen from!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have every right to "bash" a 4 day old product that they didn't stand behind and I'm glad you had a good experience even though you had to purchase another setup to get it to work correctly. Now with that out of the way......

Was the tech I spoke with a nice guy, Yes. Would I buy another CC product when the first one that is 4 days old doesn't work correctly, NO. If I was told, send it back to us and we will make it right, I wouldn't be here now. If I have to modify a brand new esc to work as it should then something is not right with the product. I asked nicely several times for them to make things right which they didn't so, you will see a lot more of posts like this one until they do.

I work hard for my money, I want what I paid for, and I feel as if I have been stolen from!
I understand how you feel, I had a esc from another company that was dead on arrival, absolutely no function whatsoever, I spoke with them and was told it was my fault (when literally all I did was plug it into a receiver and battery) and it wouldn't be replaced. Darn right I won't ever be dealing with that company again. I know where you are coming from, but
is this really the way to get your problem fixed? I have had nothing but good experiences with Castle and in my opinion their tech/customer support is second to none.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Initiate

cobra...did you send it in? Whom did you speak with? You have a 1 year warranty and we do not charge to check out your product. If it's found to be manufacturer's defect we replace it for you at no cost.
No, I did not send it in and it wasn't offered as an option, spoke with Bernie (I think?), and had I have known that it had to modified, altered, and/or rigged to work I probably wouldn't have bought it. From old post that I have found this seems to be an ongoing issue that has not been correctly resolved.

So, to make things right, I would prefer a replacement esc that does not require unsupported modifications or a full refund.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rockstar81
I understand how you feel, I had a esc from another company that was dead on arrival, absolutely no function whatsoever, I spoke with them and was told it was my fault (when literally all I did was plug it into a receiver and battery) and it wouldn't be replaced. Darn right I won't ever be dealing with that company again. I know where you are coming from, but
is this really the way to get your problem fixed? I have had nothing but good experiences with Castle and in my opinion their tech/customer support is second to none.
I think most of us have had some type of situation similar to this. I work hard for my money too which is why I spend my money with local hobby stores, on products from companies that have great reputations for customer service.
The last thing I've got to say as I don't want to beat a dead horse, is that I followed the proper procedures, sent an email and made a phone call, Thomas and Joe Ford listened to what my issue was and provided an immediate resolution. To me, that's great customer service. I'm nobody special in the rc industry and all I did was follow the directions provided in the box and on the web regarding any issues with the product. So I had a fluke, no biggie.....They are standing behind it no questions asked. Joe, Thomas, Castle Creations.....YOU ARE THE BOMB!!!! I will continue to be a customer, and a raving fan. Anyone who needs a Castle esc adjusted, I've always got my laptop and Castle Link with me so come on over! I'm the guy in the pit with the huge smile on his face because I've got a killer combo in my 1/8th buggy and I don't need to mess with no stinking glow plugs. And it's such a great combo that I now have 2 so I can convert my Truggy....Let the electric revolution continue!!!!!
Now, can we all just get along?!?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rockstar81

Unfortunately, it's the only way to get this issue resolved. I went about this the right way twice already and I can't allow it for a third time.

I hope they make it right and either way I'll let all know.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 AM
wwoodruff

Default Micro Pro in Mini T

Hi, I want to put a micro pro in a Minit-T, the motor wires look awfully short, can someone tell me how long they are?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

No, I did not send it in and it wasn't offered as an option, spoke with Bernie (I think?), and had I have known that it had to modified, altered, and/or rigged to work I probably wouldn't have bought it. From old post that I have found this seems to be an ongoing issue that has not been correctly resolved.

So, to make things right, I would prefer a replacement esc that does not require unsupported modifications or a full refund.

Thanks in advance!
I'll speak with Bernie and see what we can do. Please email me your shipping info, full name, etc. [email protected] and put "SW1/10" as the title so I'll be able to spot it fast for you.

BTW...anyone interested in pics of RCX '09 look here. http://www.rccars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3239

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.