Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by V12
Yes Steen Graversen´s drivetrain is the best you could think of. When I saw it at the Euros I wished I could buy it from him. But no chance.

From what I have heard his father was working with real racing cars in the past so he know´s what he´s doing!

As a sidenote from what I have heard at the SD the oneway gear also breaks from time to time as the driveshaft is a little bit too long so it can´t shift enough in a heavy crash.
Yes. His father is really good at those things. He is tuning rally cars for the Danish rally series.

But I must add that Steen has been working on two cars. The newest one has the entire yoko SD driveshaftsystem+diffs integrated. And it is absolutly wonderful! It drives so freely you won't believe it.

But before that he worked really hard on the original tamiya drivetrain, and he actually managed to get it to run almost as freely. His father fixed some of the drag, by drilling slightly bigger holes in the gearhousing, perfektly lined up over eachother, and added some alu. rings around the ball bearings, to fill out the gab. But rember this is no simple task, they have to be exactly line up, or else the drivetrain will bend at the first run you make.

But he sold it to one of my clubmates about two weeks ago, so he is really depending on his yoko SD/evo3 design.

Take care
SSL
Old 09-09-2003, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

No offense meant but if Steen is going so far as to run a complete Yoke drivetrain.....why isn't he just using the Yoke SD car !!!!???? Anybody have some more positive things we can do with the Tamiya drivetrain !!??
What ever happened to the idea of using metal gears?? Are they no longer available....anywhere??
Let's start something new....If you could help design the Evo4 drivetrain..what would you do??? be specific...you never know who might be paying attention.

Last edited by Evoracer; 09-09-2003 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Shimming as previously described by others will help minimise the damage to the gears, at least it has worked for me in minor crashes.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Re: BigDogRacing

Originally posted by High-Speed
BigDogRacing,
Are you the Jason that put the smack down in the 19t TC class last month in Atlanta with the Evo III S at TFB?
Uhhh, yea that's me Kenny. Good to see you here!! How's your EVO3S runing? Did you get it to stop eating pinions? Gotta stay off those boards!!!! lol

Looking forward to coming back to Hotlanta with you guys!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Evoracer

What ever happened to the idea of using metal gears??
To me...Thats all this car is lacking. Metal Bevel Pinion Gears and One-Way ring gear. Metal/aluminum/titanium or whatever is the lightest/strongest
Old 09-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: BigDogRacing

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Uhhh, yea that's me Kenny. Good to see you here!! How's your EVO3S runing? Did you get it to stop eating pinions? Gotta stay off those boards!!!! lol

Looking forward to coming back to Hotlanta with you guys!
lol! I thought it was you..hehehe. Well my driving is coming along so the boards are getting alittle break.
I ended up shimming the back end of the drive shaft to bring it up forward and to take the play out, so it would stop sliding back. Tested it with about 4 packs and Seems to be working so far. Headed to TFB tomorrow for more testing and much needed practice.
Thanks for the help that weekend too.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

Hey Guys, I used the gear support last sunday that my friend machined for me. 5 practice runs + 3 heats and a main....the gear looked new at the end of the day. Like I said this isn't a 100% fix, but it will help. If you would like to see pictures of it, go to my original post:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...pagenumber=116

or page 116 of this thread

If you don't know anyone that can machine it for you, I can get them done....cost will be about 16 or 17 shipped in the US. Outside the US? Not sure on shipping.

Ej

I'll test it again this weekend.

Oh also, for those racing TCS, it's not legal
Old 09-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Tech Initiate

cool! Looks good. So the Tamiya drivers use almost the same thing on their one ways huh. That support looks similar to the one on the one-way that that VIC posted. Its worth a try.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by PizzaDude
coop,

Go to a bicycle store and buy White Lightning (dry wax).

That should work.
Thanks for the reply.

Any specific way to apply it/break it in?

Coop
Old 09-09-2003, 03:44 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by E.J. Evans
Hey Guys, I used the gear support last sunday that my friend machined for me. 5 practice runs + 3 heats and a main....the gear looked new at the end of the day. Like I said this isn't a 100% fix, but it will help. If you would like to see pictures of it, go to my original post:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...pagenumber=116

or page 116 of this thread

If you don't know anyone that can machine it for you, I can get them done....cost will be about 16 or 17 shipped in the US. Outside the US? Not sure on shipping.

Ej

I'll test it again this weekend.

Oh also, for those racing TCS, it's not legal
Edward Jack,

Did you get one for me too???? If it works so well why did you come in 6th Maybe it's rotating mass is like a fly wheel and accelerates too slow!. or was it the Redline Motor??

Piznal
Old 09-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi all,
I was wondering, Is the One-way issue something that happens to some cars and not others?? I have run my Evo III SL several times and had some hard hits both front on, and side on with no One-way gear problems yet.
If it IS a problem that only affects every other car it would seem that mine has escaped the curse. So far so good any way..

steevo
Old 09-09-2003, 07:54 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by Steevo
I was wondering, Is the One-way issue something that happens to some cars and not others?? I have run my Evo III SL several times and had some hard hits both front on, and side on with no One-way gear problems yet.
Seriously doubt it... I think its got more to do with the builder's
skill & patience when assembling the drivetrain. It just can't be
thrown together and expected to simply work/last.

Have inherited some chewed gears in my stash, also a whole ton
of new ones. With the same 5 gearboxes (2 of which would have
chewed those gears), I've built them "carefully" & been running
them for many months now... still not yet killed a gear yet.

Heehee... my e3+Orange drivetrain is so free, when I place it on
the track, the thing starts rolling away just from the teeny
weeny gentle slope (otherwise undetectable) of the land.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by forty6
So jfc_tech is just dreaming all this???
No, im not dreaming forty6, just for you & everyone's info. I AM USING IT NOW FOR 4 PACKS GP 3300 ALREADY. Im using team Zero 8x3 motor, LRP Quantum (map 4), Evo 3 non SE and Sorex 36R with medium insert. talk about grip and accelaration...i don't think my car got problem with this setup... so with the SD one-way set, im still no ring gear strip. BUT not without it. In fact...it accelarate much faster at the straight and NO noisy gear mesh problem at the corner (usually it does with the orig evo3 gear).

ok...thats my 5 cents. no harm done..happy racing. peace to all.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Got my first raceday with the Evo 3 today, went through a 1 way gear, but no other parts broken. Got some tips from Rocketron at the track though, so hopefully I wont be going through any more gears
Old 09-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by Randman
Got my first raceday with the Evo 3 today, went through a 1 way gear, but no other parts broken. Got some tips from Rocketron at the track though, so hopefully I wont be going through any more gears
hey how'd the car work in the main - position?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.