Wiki Posts
Search

Stockton RC Raceway 06' ROAR Carpet Nats

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schurcr
Hey guys a little update for the nationals. We received the ROAR designed T2 (touring car) tech box and tech tools. Yes ROAR now has a fairly comprehesive set of tech tool that will be the norm for all future electric nationals. The bad news is we now have a tire width gauge. Yes a tire width gauge and we will be using it at the nationals. That means that almost every foam tire is wider that the allowed max of 28mm. That means you will have to narrow up your tires to pass the 28mm max width rule for foam tires. We tested, Jaco, BSR, Speedmine and TRC and all were to wide. Most measuring 28.5mm-28.9mm. The only wheel/tire combo we found that was legal width were the TRC black spoked wheels.
Is there a manufacturing tolerance for wheel widths?

It would seem that with every manufacturer exceeding the limit that this would be a present issue that might be worthy of gaining exception for this event. In knowing that this measurement will be taken at all future events the manufacturers can address the limit in future productions runs.

Seems like an equitable solution for folks that have already purchased product for the season.

It is great to hear ROAR invested in the Spec Tool Sets.

There is a lot of sarcasm in this next comment, but the outdoor season will be interesting as some standard rubber tire TC wheels exceed 24mm as well. I can see it now, outdoor asphalt guys having to purchase lathes to narrow handout tires/wheels…..

If black wheel stickers got people ruffled before, this will be an even bigger argument.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

I just checked my new two stage tires. They are 28mm wheels. The rubber extends outside the wheel by about 1mm. It would be easier to ignore it, but it will also be easy to trim off the excess rubber when you true the tires.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thats honestly kind of dumb..... I do liek the fact they have some cool teching tools but tire width? It would be nice if the manufactures actually made the wheels 28mm.... Then I probably wouldnt be complaining much.

-Korey
Old 02-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Tire width issue

Ruben,

Thanks for the specifics.

Now, I will get all my wheels/tires in advance and narrow them down first with an Exacto knife as you advised. Really appreciate your solution too.

Hmmmm...Everyone be careful out there...cuttin' em puppies...

Bill
Old 02-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Is there a manufacturing tolerance for wheel widths?

It would seem that with every manufacturer exceeding the limit that this would be a present issue that might be worthy of gaining exception for this event. In knowing that this measurement will be taken at all future events the manufacturers can address the limit in future productions runs.

Seems like an equitable solution for folks that have already purchased product for the season.

It is great to hear ROAR invested in the Spec Tool Sets.

There is a lot of sarcasm in this next comment, but the outdoor season will be interesting as some standard rubber tire TC wheels exceed 24mm as well. I can see it now, outdoor asphalt guys having to purchase lathes to narrow handout tires/wheels…..

If black wheel stickers got people ruffled before, this will be an even bigger argument.

Mark,

The way ROAR has enforced their own rules is if it is a "handout" product it does not have to meet ROAR rules. E.I., Off-road Nats that used the non approved Top/Orion stocker. Carpet Oval Nats this year are using the non ROAR approved chrome can Monster for the stock handout.

As for the rules, it isn't that they need to tech everything everytime. Technically under the rules not all the rules have to be checked in tech. After all you can protest if you think someone's car is not within the rules. It would be interesting if they enforce the min. tire dia. rule of 2.17". After seeing how small some of the mod guys are truing their tires I would bet after a run some would be below the 2.17" min.

Plus under the rules don't the black wheel stickers fall under no wheel dots allowed????

I wonder if the tech tools also include the tear down version of ALL approved mod motors so the tech crew can compare what is approved and what is being used?!?!?!

I guess the one thing we (racers) need to keep in mind is ROAR is changing and it appears the rules are where they are going to change first. After having been to Nats where no rules were enforced this would be a big difference.

Brian
Old 02-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian Anthony
Mark,

The way ROAR has enforced their own rules is if it is a "handout" product it does not have to meet ROAR rules. E.I., Off-road Nats that used the non approved Top/Orion stocker. Carpet Oval Nats this year are using the non ROAR approved chrome can Monster for the stock handout.

As for the rules, it isn't that they need to tech everything everytime. Technically under the rules not all the rules have to be checked in tech. After all you can protest if you think someone's car is not within the rules. It would be interesting if they enforce the min. tire dia. rule of 2.17". After seeing how small some of the mod guys are truing their tires I would bet after a run some would be below the 2.17" min.

Plus under the rules don't the black wheel stickers fall under no wheel dots allowed????

I wonder if the tech tools also include the tear down version of ALL approved mod motors so the tech crew can compare what is approved and what is being used?!?!?!

I guess the one thing we (racers) need to keep in mind is ROAR is changing and it appears the rules are where they are going to change first. After having been to Nats where no rules were enforced this would be a big difference.

Brian
Good points Brian. I must have skipped the Handout exception in the rule book. I was surprised that 28mm foam wheels were not the only wheel type exceeding width; many of my 24mm wheels are as well.

It is good ROAR is making new roads for the membership including Tech Sets and online newsletters. I am sure the membership likes the new development.

I hope ROAR elects to allow some exception as they begin to transition from their old ways. Additionally, giving the manufacturers some time to allow their products to meet new enforcement.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Good points Brian. I must have skipped the Handout exception in the rule book.
ummmmmm.....I don't think it is in the "writen" rule book. Just something that happens. I've heard that this is an exception that ROAR will do as long as all parties agree. Personally I don't think there should ever be allowed any deviations or exceptions to the rules. But hey I come from full size racing where if it doesn't say you CAN do it in the rule book you can't.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Tech Addict

arn't overhead post illgal by ROAR standards on Motors?

I know they were, up untill last year.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Did you check any Parmas?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Worth
There were no Parma's available to test at the track last weekend.

The ROAR Minumum Foam Tire Diameter is listed at 55mm.

While we are at it....Please check the ROAR approved body list as well at the ROAR approved motor list (Mod Guys). You will be suprised how many bodies have had their approval expire. The current Approved motor list does not include the Cobalt 2 mod motor.

Please make sure you are on top of this so it doesn't come up in tech.

Thanks,

Art
Old 02-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JohnMatrix
arn't overhead post illgal by ROAR standards on Motors?

I know they were, up untill last year.
Changing the endbell is illegal by ROAR standards. If the endbell came with Overhead springs it is illegal to change them to the std configuration.

8.5.6.6.1 No modifications to the physical construction of the motor can, endbell, or armature will
be permitted (e.g. adding or removing material from the armature stack, changing the
brush hoods from stand up to lay-down and visa-versa, relocating spring posts).
Old 02-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brian Anthony

Brian
I will ask today.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
There were no Parma's available to test at the track last weekend.

The ROAR Minumum Foam Tire Diameter is listed at 55mm.

While we are at it....Please check the ROAR approved body list as well at the ROAR approved motor list (Mod Guys). You will be suprised how many bodies have had their approval expire. The current Approved motor list does not include the Cobalt 2 mod motor.

Please make sure you are on top of this so it doesn't come up in tech.

Thanks,

Art
Mr. Tech Manager, I was wondering ...is this body Roar Legal:

Old 02-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Worth
Parma's are under 28mm. They vary from 27.5 to 28 depending how much the rubber over hangs. The rim is 27.5.

Paul
Old 02-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Mr. Tech Manager, I was wondering ...is this body Roar Legal:

Sorry, that one is not on the ROAR Approved list but it is interesting. Can I borrow it for some................"testing".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.