Search
Like Tree1Likes

Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TMann
I turned off the TX towards the end, and it was still going full throttle, which leads me to believe its not the transmitter. Im pretty sure the servo was not working either, so that tells me the RX was not giving it signal.

I was going on a strait away full throttle, coming up to a turn... I braked and turned, but it kept going strait and full throttle. So both the servo and esc were not working correctly.

Maybe the ESC was not giving the servo power?
Same exact thing mine did. I'm using a associated rx/TX . it has to be esc I'll swap out esc this weekend and let u know.. does urs stop running when jumping?
Old 01-31-2017, 08:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by amospetrie
Same exact thing mine did. I'm using a associated rx/TX . it has to be esc I'll swap out esc this weekend and let u know.. does urs stop running when jumping?
Yes it does on big jumps, but that's the power switch having a short I think when it gets banged around.

I'm going to go ahead and order a sidewinder 3 and the fan.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Yes it does on big jumps, but that's the power switch having a short I think when it gets banged around.

I'm going to go ahead and order a sidewinder 3 and the fan.
Idk mines doing that too but I have to unplug battery and plug it back in to get it running again.. let me know how that sw3 runs.. think I'm trying trackstar
Old 02-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Hell Everyone!
I've been watching this thread for the past few years in hopes to eventually own a Cutback and i finally pulled the trigger and purchased one for Christmas!

The truck is alot of fun! Out of the box i thought it was pretty fast, but then i haven't driven an RC car in years. Going with the recommendations from this thread, i installed the optional spur gear and installed a 17 tooth pinion and wow! That woke it up! Night and day difference!
Since i had the center Diff out, I also put in 100K weight oil. I have 20k weight oil for the front and rear diffs, but i havent had time to put it in. I also changed the shock oil to 37.5 front and rear.
With this combo, it's pretty fun to bash and take to the local track. No nose-diving what so ever, and if it does, its because of the driver. As the truck sits now, It does not do well on a carpet track. Instead of racing, it turns into a game of not rolling over in every corner. Hopefully ill have some time this weekend to try and make some changes to the suspension setup.

I was wonder where i could get the sway bar kit? Does anyone use a different swaybar for it? Sucks that Tower stop selling them, when the UK is still selling it under the Maverick Timberwolf.

Edit: I found it, It looks like you can order it from the UK site mention a few pages back (modelsport.co.uk) The part number is MV29132

Last edited by Jamez64; 02-03-2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Tech Initiate

I ordered some parts from the UK through ebay on the 24th of Jan, they arrived yesterday. So it only took 8-9 days. Just regular air mail, no tracking.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hey Jamez64, i run a ride height of 27mm front and 26mm rear at my indoor clay track and have no roll over problems at all. also your diff oils are way way to high if your running on a track, i've been racing mine for quite awhile now and i'm runnin' the fastest lap times at the track in the 4x4 short course class with 5,000 front, 5,000 center, and 2,000 rear. your puttin' too much drive to the rear wheels with that center oil that high, you want your front pullin' more out of the corners.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Tech Initiate

I got the new sidewinder ESC installed this morning. Works well, nice and smooth. It did not come with any motor wires or connectors. I had to make my own extensions with 4mm bullets. A little disappointed in CC for not providing them...

I did not experience any full throttle going by itself craziness running it this afternoon. Hopefully the ESC fixed the issue. I did order a new TX/RX just incase.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Tech Initiate

I've had about 5-6 runs with the new sidewinder esc and old rx/tx. I have had 2 or 3 times that the sidewinder shutoff. All three LED's blinking at once. "ESC is not seeing a valid signal from the receiver" according to the trouble shooting guide. So turns out the RX or TX has an issue. At least the CC sidewinder is smart enough to shutoff completely!!!

In conclusion I still believe the ESC had issues also because of the no reverse a lot of the times and the going crazy full throttle on its own.

I'm very happy with the CC sidewinder. I have the Fan combo mounted also too it. It was heating up quite a bit so I cut out the plastic webbing on the top of the fan shroud. Much more flow now and is running way cooler.

I've been running on outdoor golf carpet, its crazy heavy duty. Good for testing for temps on the motor and esc.

I'm going to swap out my new TX and RX this weekend. Will report back after testing.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Need to sell everything. 3 lipo's, 2 chargers, banditos, adjustable turnbuckles, upgraded pinion, all stock parts. looking to meetup around pike county pa sussex nj. love to get $200, but can still be negotiated
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-11-2017, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

I've had about 5-6 runs with the new sidewinder esc and old rx/tx. I have had 2 or 3 times that the sidewinder shutoff. All three LED's blinking at once. "ESC is not seeing a valid signal from the receiver" according to the trouble shooting guide. So turns out the RX or TX has an issue. At least the CC sidewinder is smart enough to shutoff completely!!!

In conclusion I still believe the ESC had issues also because of the no reverse a lot of the times and the going crazy full throttle on its own.

I'm very happy with the CC sidewinder. I have the Fan combo mounted also too it. It was heating up quite a bit so I cut out the plastic webbing on the top of the fan shroud. Much more flow now and is running way cooler.

I've been running on outdoor golf carpet, its crazy heavy duty. Good for testing for temps on the motor and esc.

I'm going to swap out my new TX and RX this weekend. Will report back after testing.
Wow some bad luck. Bad rx/TX and esc.. I agree the esc still had to have been bad..
Old 03-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Tech Initiate

I finally got my cutback running again.

I have had just horrible problems with the electronics!!! I'm on my 5th esc now if you count the original cutback esc! I'm on my 3rd tx/rx...

1st CC Sidewinder 3 - I accidently burned it out by leaving the bind plug in and giving it throttle.

The 2nd CC sidewinder was defective after just 1 day of driving. Sent that one in under warranty.

The 3rd esc, I bought new off ebay a Reedy/hobbywing 80A esc. Was defective, it would cutout only 5 min when it warmed up just a little. I even put a faster RPM fan on it. It was making the RX LED go off.

The 4th ESC, I decided to shell out and I bought a new HW EZRun MAX 10SCT, (120A 2S-4S) It seems to be ok.....

During all of this I bought a spectrum STX2 TX/RX combo, cheapy. The throttle would keep going 2 seconds after letting off the trigger. I sent it in under warranty.

I am now on a Tactic TTX300 combo, seems to be working well.

I do have a small issue. My brushless motor does not like to go from a stop in grass or thick carpet. The motor just cogs, then it will finally go. I am running the 54/17T gearing, and yes it is meshed right. I am assuming I should put a 15T in??? I didn't have this issue with the stock motor. I am running a $29 RC gearshop 3900KV motor now... I am worried about damaging my new ESC!!!
Attached Thumbnails Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck-img_7915.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

sounds like your geared to high, iv'e been runnin' 54/13 or 14 with a 3750kv sensored motor and been racing it with that and runnin' bout 140 degrees temp which is perfect temps, you've gotta be runnin' 180 at least with that gear especially in the grass.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the reply. I've been running on refurbished golf turf, its really tough. Then in the middle of the track, not where you race, its 2 inch tall outdoor carpet. Pretty crazy stuff. I'm going to put the 14T back in, but I will have to modify the HW motor heatsink I bought. The motor sits really close to the center of the chassis. I did order a 15T pinion to try also. Gotta love the Robinson absolute hardened pinions.

I'm really looking forward to getting my cutback out to the professional 1/8 track that's about 15 miles from here. Its hard pack dirt.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Where can I get the 54 spur or what spur fits it?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:21 PM
Tech Initiate

The Axial 54T will fit, if you shave off/sand the side of it. AX30744

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.