Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck

Saw info on this on tower hobbies site as well as RC Car Action:

if from the rc car action press release:

The Cutback is equipped for performance excellence and only a few upgrades away taking top honors at your local track. It’s more than a sport RTR, it’s a rugged, bona-fide bruiser with a 3 mm anodized aluminum chassis, a 4-pole brushless motor and a brushless ESC that can handle 80A of current. Plus waterproof electronics, 2.4GHz radio system, threaded oil shocks and more. Much more. It’s designed to shine and built to endure.

Features:

4-wheel shaft drive
2-channel 2.4GHz radio system w/dual rates and throttle fail-safe
Waterproof TH-80WP 80A forward/reverse ESC
Waterproof, high-torque digital steering servo w/metal gears
Large-bore, threaded oil shocks
Durable metal gears
Sealed differentials – front, rear & center
Full bearings
Hardened steel drive shafts
Printed, trimmed polycarbonate body
Mounted high-bite tires w/foam inserts
Scale wheels with 12 mm hex drive

- Uses 32P Gears
- 3600kv motor

Specifications:

Length: 20.9 in (531 mm)
Width: 11.2 in (284 mm) Height: 7.7 in (196 mm)
RTR Weight: 6 lb (2722 g)

Requires:

2S LiPo battery

LXENWR (TOWC0500) - $299.97

warranty offered:

Link to the product:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXENWR&P=ML

Links to manuals:

http://www.towerhobbies.com/manuals/...500_manual.pdf
http://www.towerhobbies.com/manuals/...00_manual2.pdf

Last edited by Cain; 11-15-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Legend

One thing I wonder is that it appears they put the ESC on the battery side of things, in particular how that affects weight balance.

I'd be curious from a racing perspective any benefit to moving the ESC (or any ESC for that matter) over to where they have the receiver box, and maybe putting th receiver in the ESC location or somewhere else.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't think they considered l/r weight balance for racing in the design...

That being said, it does look kinda interesting and at that price, they should sell a ton of them this holiday season. I just hope for the sake of any newbs buying it that it will use a standard offset SC wheel and not be platform-specific.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Not bad if somebody wants to get into 4wd SC racing . Priced good and beefy looking I doubt that 80w esc will last long though . Curious what 2s mah max will fit into that battery tray it's small .
Old 10-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Tech Legend

yeah, it looks interesting for sure.

hopefully the offset is SCTE or something similar.

I do like that its waterproof, even for racing I like that fact as at times some tracks can get pretty heavy on the watering and you run through puddles, etc.

The rear shocks kind of look like you could mount them either on the front or the the back of the tower based on what I am seeing on the a-arms.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Cain
yeah, it looks interesting for sure.

hopefully the offset is SCTE or something similar.

I do like that its waterproof, even for racing I like that fact as at times some tracks can get pretty heavy on the watering and you run through puddles, etc.

The rear shocks kind of look like you could mount them either on the front or the the back of the tower based on what I am seeing on the a-arms.

If it's not the same offset it can be a pain for a new guy . Waterproof electrics are good although I've ran though puddles on the track never hurt my ESCs. With it he truck weighting pounds the 80w esc may be fine and last . Motor looks good not sure what rebadged motor it is but it's a 4 pole !

That's neat if you can mount the shocks that way .

Looks like inless you can take out some spacers or shave down the webbing in the battery tray you can only use shorty 2s packs which is not bad or small 2s mahs lipos .
Old 10-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Legend

bit confused as well as to what the webbing in the tray is for. Mayb ethe are thinking NiMH packs in some manner?

based on the link it look like standard sized 2S lipo packs will be the norm as they link you to a duratrax 2S lipo.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

things i'm wondering about:

-from those pics, there isn't really a good shot of the esc. specifically i'd like to see the size. from the one pic you can sorta see it, the esc looks smallish which would limit options if you need to replace it (no SCT-pro or RX8).

-i'm wondering what effect those tilted drive cups on the diff case will have on the pins of the center dog bones.

-plenty of bracing up front with the durango-esque job, but i don't see any rear bracing (popped center driveshaft?). EDIT: just saw the bracing in another pic. looks like plenty so no concern here.

-yeah, it's an RTR, but those look like plastic bodied shocks and those stamped shock towers are begging to be bent.

-looks like there's too much webbing (not enough material) on the a-arms. they look fragile.

-on the plus, it's got hex hardware, 3 gear diffs, and an aluminum chassis for a decent price.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Tech Legend

here is a pic of the ESC:

assuming its sandwiched in there, wouldn't be surprised swapping the receiver and ESC locations would be done, assuming it can if you wanted something bigger.

for some reason the ESC makes me thing something HW based or similar.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
things i'm wondering about:

-from those pics, there isn't really a good shot of the esc. specifically i'd like to see the size. from the one pic you can sorta see it, the esc looks smallish which would limit options if you need to replace it (no SCT-pro or RX8).

-i'm wondering what effect those tilted drive cups on the diff case will have on the pins of the center dog bones.

-plenty of bracing up front with the durango-esque job, but i don't see any rear bracing (popped center driveshaft?). EDIT: just saw the bracing in another pic. looks like plenty so no concern here.

-yeah, it's an RTR, but those look like plastic bodied shocks and those stamped shock towers are begging to be bent.

-looks like there's too much webbing (not enough material) on the a-arms. they look fragile.

-on the plus, it's got hex hardware, 3 gear diffs, and an aluminum chassis for a decent price.

Tower has some upgraded parts for the truck im assuming thicker shock towers and alum big bore shocks . Arms yea there not the thickest but if your don't nose drive bad they may be fine . The ESC it's not a heavy truck but yea if your go with a higher KV motor 120amp is better . Servo of course will need replacement if the person wants to race it .

Still curious of the wheel offset though . The price of the truck is good Ethier way .
Old 10-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Tech Legend

shot tower a message about the wheels, will post what I find out.

As you noted tc5_man, considering some of the parts showing up for this, doesn't seem like they are thinking full run of the mill RTR with carbon fiber towers and other things I am seeing.

Price on a-arms (says a-arm set, not sure what all is part of the set though) doesn't look too bad.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quick note about the overall width, it's a little narrow. It's actually too narrow to be ROAR legal, lol. So some wider hexes and the SC104x4 +3 wheels (if the stock are the SCTE variety) would be needed to bring it up to legal width. I think adding Slash offset wheels would put it over legal width though, again, this is assuming it's currently running SCTE offset wheels.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Tech Legend

wonder if width i including wheels or is it just hex to hex?
Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I was looking at this the other day for my girls to race. ( I think that's maybe to goal consumer?) But also considering something more popular used for better parts support
Old 10-06-2014, 07:04 AM
Tech Legend

part support is definitely a plus, but at the same time I also look at it that a vehicle should be durable too so I am not running to the hobbyshop all the time to get stuff.

I also like to have on hand stuff so less time in a race situation to swap as some places shut down the front desk for parts during heats.

It does look interesting, definitely not what I was expecting from a "tower hobbies" vehicle. Anyone know if this is something "else" that was branded by tower hobbies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.