Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Tower Hobbies Cutback 1/10 4x4 Short Course Truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone have the PN for the adjustable links from Tower? I can't find them on the website. I know the Slash ones fit but just wanted to see the tower hobbies ones.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Never mind! I tracked them down. For anyone else looking though, this is the PN for the Tower Hobbies Turnbuckle Set w/Ball Ends Cutback SC (7), TOWC9250.
I don't have them but I've seen slash turnbuckles and they look a bit beefier than these, so I'll probably try that route.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Discontinued?

Anyone noticing that some Cutback parts are discontinued?
Old 11-29-2016, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Parts

Originally Posted by Fluxit9
Anyone noticing that some Cutback parts are discontinued?
I hadn't seen that. Just looked now and seen it looks like some of the electronics....the only part I have needed so far has been the bumper mount as it tends to nosedive on jumps. Switched shock oil to see if that helps.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Pushbutton on on/off switch

I recently got a Cutback and am really having fun with it. I noticed that there is a pushbutton just in front of the main on/off switch. I don't see it mentioned in the manual and it doesn't seem to do anything. Does it have a function?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rhodesengr
I recently got a Cutback and am really having fun with it. I noticed that there is a pushbutton just in front of the main on/off switch. I don't see it mentioned in the manual and it doesn't seem to do anything. Does it have a function?
Just guessing could be a way to program your esc or calibrate a radio to the esc
Old 11-29-2016, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rannblod
Just guessing could be a way to program your esc or calibrate a radio to the esc
Yes. In the meantime, I did some more searching and although the stock ESC is discontinued, I found a one page manual for it. The PB is a means to change some settings in the ESC. Wont let me post the URL because I am too new on this forum.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Default ESC issues.

speaking of the ESC, I think mine is having some problems. I have the intermittent reverse mentioned by others. Sometimes and usually after a tumble, the ESC goes into LVC or something. Truck will just go slow until I power cycle. Sometimes, it seems like power just turns off like a bad connection but the fan is still running. So I don't think it is the battery connector (stock Deans/Star).

So I am wondering has anyone else asked for a replacement ESC from Tower? What did they supply since the stock one is discontinued. Anyone replace with an aftermarket ESC?
Old 12-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default ESC went up in smoke.

So today the stock ESC went up in smoke. As I posted before it was having problems but I took the truck out today and gave it a try. At first it seemed to be working. I came to stop and tried to go again and got nothing. So I powered cycled it. Without touching my TX, it went into reverse, stopped and then started burning. The failure was drawing so much current, it partially melted the Star connector. I am hoping the motor is ok.

So before this, I had been in touch with Tower's repair folks since I was getting suspicious of the ESC. I asked them what the replacement ESC was since the OEM one was discontinued. They told me they didn't know at this point. They have invited me to send in the ESC. Now that its "toast", I am definitely going to send it in. But in the meantime, I have ordered a Hobbywing EZRun WP 80A. I already have the programming box for HW and I think it will fit. So I'll know in a few days.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:05 AM
Tech Initiate

I picked up a used cutback RTR a few weeks ago for $100. Only thing is the driveline and diffs have some pretty good wear. I decided to replace about $75 worth of parts lol.... I should have just bought a new one really...

I talked to a guy at Tower Hobbies and they are going to discontinue the cutback, I don't know the particulars if they are going to release a second updated version or what. And what about all the parts people need?!?!

So I have been doing research on compatible parts that will work. A lot of the axial parts are identical. The axial spur gear will work, but it may need to be shaved off on one side. Its a little thicker. I have one I ordered and it will work.

The HPI Maverick Timberwork SCT is a clone of the Cutback. European version. All the parts are available in the UK. Modelsport.uk has them in stock, just the shipping sucks because its so far.

Axial (Differential ring/pinion gear set) (38/13)
AX30392

Axial Differential Gear Set (Bevel gears)
AX30390

Differential Gaskets
AX30385

Speed Passion Bevel Gear 13t (pk2)
RS00298

Speed Passion Ring Gear 38t (pk2)
RS00299

Axial Differential outdrives
AX30381

Axial Differential Case
AX80002

Axial 54T Spur gear
AX30744

Many companies have the 2mm and 2.5mm dowel pins, Be sure you get the alloy steel ones. The 2.5mm dowel pins are possible to be pressed out of the dog bones and drive shafts.

The steel hinges are 3.5mm and you can get steel shaft from McMaster and MSC, to cut your own.

Last edited by TMann; 12-18-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Adding to the list
Old 12-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

cool deal on the axial parts, where did u figure this out?, i was worrying because i just got mine in march and just getting ready to start indoor racing this winter and have this thing working awesome, using hot bodies ve8 shocks with tekno ultra lightweight shock springs, got this thing working just as good as my losi scte i used to race.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default Running nicely again with new ESC

So my Cutback is running nicely again. I wrestled a lot with which ESC to get to replace the stock one that went up in flames. I went with the Hobbywing EZRUN WP 80A. I think it would have fit up front where the stock one was located but at least for now, I mounted it on top of the RX box. It works great but there are two "head scratchers". This ESC is the first ESC I have worked with that doesn't make some beeps or have an LED display that tells you it is on and armed. There is an LED but it is pretty much on the bottom so when you mount it, its becomes hard to see. In normal operation, the LED doesn't come on until there is some throttle signal. When you throw the switch, the fan comes on but that is about it. Reverse now works every time.

I bought the new ESC on Amazon because I could (supposedly) get it in one day. However, it didn't come in one day and I am pretty sure they sent me a used unit. They did refund my one-day shipping cost and I am sure i could have returned it to get a brand new one but it did work and I didn't want to hassle with the return. Just a caution for others.

I don't think there was really anything wrong with the stock RX/TX but i wanted a more adjustable TX (like with expo) so I have switched out to a Spektkrum DX4S and the AVC RX that comes with it. AVC is fun to play with.

It is disconcerting that Tower has apparently decided to discontinue the Cutback. A number of folks in my flying club have bought this truck. I hope Tower at least makes parts for a while. I wonder what an equivalent truck would be that isn't going away anytime soon: 4WD, brushless, and <$250.

I have been reading up on other possibilities and I have my eye on the Losi TEN-SCBE or SCTE. They look really nice, have great reviews, but more like $500. I think $250 is a good price point for someone that just wants to try RC trucks but I don't know what to suggest in lieu of the Cutback.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rhodesengr
So my Cutback is running nicely again. I wrestled a lot with which ESC to get to replace the stock one that went up in flames. I went with the Hobbywing EZRUN WP 80A. I think it would have fit up front where the stock one was located but at least for now, I mounted it on top of the RX box. It works great but there are two "head scratchers". This ESC is the first ESC I have worked with that doesn't make some beeps or have an LED display that tells you it is on and armed. There is an LED but it is pretty much on the bottom so when you mount it, its becomes hard to see. In normal operation, the LED doesn't come on until there is some throttle signal. When you throw the switch, the fan comes on but that is about it. Reverse now works every time.

I bought the new ESC on Amazon because I could (supposedly) get it in one day. However, it didn't come in one day and I am pretty sure they sent me a used unit. They did refund my one-day shipping cost and I am sure i could have returned it to get a brand new one but it did work and I didn't want to hassle with the return. Just a caution for others.

I don't think there was really anything wrong with the stock RX/TX but i wanted a more adjustable TX (like with expo) so I have switched out to a Spektkrum DX4S and the AVC RX that comes with it. AVC is fun to play with.

It is disconcerting that Tower has apparently decided to discontinue the Cutback. A number of folks in my flying club have bought this truck. I hope Tower at least makes parts for a while. I wonder what an equivalent truck would be that isn't going away anytime soon: 4WD, brushless, and <$250.

I have been reading up on other possibilities and I have my eye on the Losi TEN-SCBE or SCTE. They look really nice, have great reviews, but more like $500. I think $250 is a good price point for someone that just wants to try RC trucks but I don't know what to suggest in lieu of the Cutback.
another one that iv'e been checking out is the Hobao sc10, everyone sayin' it's pretty good, i'm getting ready to get the Hobao 10tt truggy great reviews on it and it uses same parts as the hobao 10sc. but that's only if you can't get parts for it, my cutback is working awesome on are indoor clay track, people can't beleive it when they find out it's a tower hobbies cutback. but i've got enought parts to last me a couple race seasons at least.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:08 AM
Tech Initiate

I've been checking Tower and they are out of RTR kits now. The parts are also getting bought up. I think everyone is starting to panic and buying up what they can. I really hope they make some more batches of parts or they release a updated version kit, with compatible parts.

motoj55 - How did you solve the nose diving issue? I've been on a lot of forums and even this thread and I cant seem to find a exact fix, other than some soften the rear or add weights to the rear. I've come to the conclusion that the rear is slapping the ground on take off. I'm thinking maybe to stiffen the rear up and add weights so its heavy in the back and doesn't slap also. "shrug"
Old 12-08-2016, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

Default how to maintain

This is probably not specific to the cutback but I really have no idea what I need to do to maintain my Cutback. The manual didn't say anything. Certain points to lube? Using what type of lubricant? Is there a simple RC truck maintenance guide somewhere?

Thanks for any help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.