Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR4TC BD vs. FK 05 vs. 415 MS

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mtveten
Having driven all of these cars I would have to say they each have their strengths and short comings.

Out of the 3 cars mentioned the X-Ray is the most well rounded car and is possibly the best carpet car and very good asphalt car.

The 415ms performs well on asphalt and is the best on low grip sealed asphalt. Carpet performance is horiffic and tweeks far to easily on high grip conditions.

The BD works well on asphalt and is ok on carpet so long as you don't run foams. Low grip performance is marginaly better than X-Ray but no where near the 415. The car is best suited for open circuits and tends to struggle on technical layouts.

I would recommend you go with the FK05 if you race both indoors and outdoors, or the 415 if plan to race asphalt only and will be racing on sealed surfaces.

sorry mark, gonna have to call out on this, who's bd have you driven on carpet with foam, whos bd have you driven on asphalt, andrew's, jb's, fresh outta the box, not setup time, give me/us break, while your post made it sound like you knew what you are talking about, we both know you do not have the time with the bd to make those comments, heck, you don't have that time with the 415, last week the xxx-s g+ was the best car ever built, before that you said, the tc3 was, this week, (cause you have one) the x-ray is. sorry again, but unless you have been secrectly buying and testing these cars i'm not buying it. and this is exactly what i meant when i said a pissing match between drivers.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

i own a xray fk04 and a xray fk05 both are super smooth and fast. but i like the xray fk05 better
Old 06-16-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by daniz24
Yes, but shaft car also has a diff correct? to aswblablabla : Are you sure you won't regret later because the rumours are Tamiya is going to release a new car from TRF line.
You said that it was some nightmare with the diff and belts, the SDW has no belts and the diffs are very easy to change and rebuild. It takes 2 screws to remove the dif in a SDW. Maybe I just misunderstood what you are trying to say?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:29 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by pops
You said that it was some nightmare with the diff and belts, the SDW has no belts and the diffs are very easy to change and rebuild. It takes 2 screws to remove the dif in a SDW. Maybe I just misunderstood what you are trying to say?
Hmmm, 2 screws to remove diff in Yoke SDW? How did you do that? Thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

The SDW and FK05 are also having this nightmare problem just like 415...
Not so. A couple mins (one bulkhead) to replace a diff/spur + a few more (an additional bulkhead) for a belt isn't much.

I've also found that if you don't tighten the screws securing the bottom chassis to the bulkheads down FIRST and check the chassis tweak to make sure its flat, BEFORE tightening the top plate and shock towers, then the car will have what I call a "default" tweak setting that the top deck and shock towers will allow the car to go back to during a crash.

In other words, the greatest tension on the overall chassis to influence tweak comes from the bottom screws. The screws from the shock towers and top deck have less pressure and influence on tweak & will "let go" of their originally set positions first.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Ritchie,

Yes I have spent some time with JB's car and observed a several of them at a various tracks around. From what I have seen and experienced with my the car feels a bit numb and transitions slower than than both the X-Ray and 415. I would say that it is big step forward in agility from the SDW but less nimble than some of the other options out there. The BD's foam problem is nothing more than a tweek issue created by the excessive chassis flex just like the 415 but to a lesser extent.

Now speaking of the car of the week thing, when did I ever say the TC3 was THE car? Now if by last week you mean a few years ago when the G+ was new I would have to say it was one of the best cars out and is still competative on a variety of conditions today.

I understand you need to promote your sponsors product but you should do so in a more civil maner. The thread asked for opinions I gave mine, and your attack on it is uncalled for.

BTW I DO OWN A 415.

Mark

Originally Posted by Turtlemaster
sorry mark, gonna have to call out on this, who's bd have you driven on carpet with foam, whos bd have you driven on asphalt, andrew's, jb's, fresh outta the box, not setup time, give me/us break, while your post made it sound like you knew what you are talking about, we both know you do not have the time with the bd to make those comments, heck, you don't have that time with the 415, last week the xxx-s g+ was the best car ever built, before that you said, the tc3 was, this week, (cause you have one) the x-ray is. sorry again, but unless you have been secrectly buying and testing these cars i'm not buying it. and this is exactly what i meant when i said a pissing match between drivers.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Hmmm, 2 screws to remove diff in Yoke SDW? How did you do that? Thanks
sorry, I was thinking about the dif cases on the SD. I've never worked on the SDW, but I think it is like the BD, four screws and remove a couple of camber links and you can lift the diff out from the top..
Old 06-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I LOVE the Xray series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ben doin' this RC thingy fer about 20 years an' wen I seen that Xray, I had ta have one. Now I gots 5. I also have 2 TC3s; an MR4TC Pro and one each of the HPI (Electric cars, not including Pro4).
I only been racing Touring for about three years but I seen 'em all and I do believe, U kin make any of these to cartwheels, IF U GOT THE SET-UP!!!!!!!!!!
So agin, It's all upta wut U prefer.
Just My -O-
Old 06-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Ritchie,

Yes I have spent some time with JB's car and observed a several of them at a various tracks around. From what I have seen and experienced with my the car feels a bit numb and transitions slower than than both the X-Ray and 415. I would say that it is big step forward in agility from the SDW but less nimble than some of the other options out there. The BD's foam problem is nothing more than a tweek issue created by the excessive chassis flex just like the 415 but to a lesser extent.

Now speaking of the car of the week thing, when did I ever say the TC3 was THE car? Now if by last week you mean a few years ago when the G+ was new I would have to say it was one of the best cars out and is still competative on a variety of conditions today.

I understand you need to promote your sponsors product but you should do so in a more civil maner. The thread asked for opinions I gave mine, and your attack on it is uncalled for.

BTW I DO OWN A 415.

Mark
Turtlemaster seemed civil, but you sound like your opinion should be the rule and not just your opinion. All the cars mentioned are good cars, they all have good and bad aspects. Every driver can drive one of those cars on any day better than he can drive any of the others, depending on the track and conditions. Everyone tends to like the car they own now better than the others, they spent the money and the time for the car, what else would anyone expect. I own a Honda, and I think Hondas are better than Toyotas and Nissans.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Pop's Please explain to me how Turtle's claim that I don't what I am talking about is civil. I very clearly gave my views as my opinion and make no apology for doing so. Everyone is entitled to their opinion including you, turtle and myself. Having driven all 3 cars I know they are all good and excel under different conditions. To simplify what I stated earlier the X-Ray is best for technical higher grip conditions such as carpet and ok on low grip surfaces. The 415 is best on low grip but poor on carpet. The BD is best on non-technical asphalt but only ok on carpet & technical tracks.

Mark
Old 06-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool Opinion

Pop's Please explain to me how Turtle's claim that I don't what I am talking about is civil. I very clearly gave my views as my opinion and make no apology for doing so. Everyone is entitled to their opinion including you, turtle and myself. Having driven all 3 cars I know they are all good and excel under different conditions. To simplify what I stated earlier the X-Ray is best for technical higher grip conditions such as carpet and ok on low grip surfaces. The 415 is best on low grip but poor on carpet. The BD is best on non-technical asphalt but only ok on carpet & technical tracks.

Mark
Mark - How many weeks did you drive each car to form your opinion ? I hope it was not just based off one or two runs. I realize everyone has opinions on cars but most are after weeks of running them and trying different set ups. It seems like Pop's and Turtle are throwing out an opinion based on something they know ????? By the way have you tried the Pro 4 ? If so what is your opinion on that car ?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Tech Rookie

BD
Old 06-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Mark
I read it not as a flame, but as a rebuttal to your statements. You posted your statement as if you were an all knowing expert on the complete handling of all the cars. He questioned the amount of time you spent driving each car. Heck I don't know but I would think it would take several weekends or more spent with each car, trying many set-ups to know all that. But if you have done that, well it's still just your opinion. No one asked you for an apology
Old 06-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Default A few that like to fuel the fire.

Originally Posted by pops
I read it not as a flame, but as a rebuttal to your statements. You posted your statement as if you were an all knowing expert on the complete handling of all the cars. He questioned the amount of time you spent driving each car. Heck I don't know but I would think it would take several weekends or more spent with each car, trying many set-ups to know all that. But if you have done that, well it's still just your opinion. No one asked you for an apology
Why does one have to resort to personalities if one's opinon differs from another's point of veiw.

He just gave the facts as have been currently published and stated by the top factory team drivers plus his own personal experience.

Why discredit someone simply for not spending the amount of time on the track you feel one should have before they can have an opinion about with your favorite car.

By your definition no one should or can give their opinion if they haven't spent a min. of x amount of time driving the car. How much time, 1 day, 1 week, 6 mos., 1 year?

Myself I would rather rely on the expert factory drivers responses and results at various events and venues as to their expert evaluations, plus the top drivers at the club level, in addition to my own experience; But that is just my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

Every car has its own pluses and minuses. Not everyone has the same driving style. Hence different makes of cars.

Some are better than others on certain conditions and are easier to tune.

Pops
Old 06-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Only way to get honest answers is to talk with the pro's in person. I was told why the TC4 Plastic wasn't good enough to win the Worlds. Everyone on here speculated and gave opinions, but no one could back any of that b/c they weren't at the track and have never driven a TC4 that is/was truely dialed.

NOW...all cars that cost more than 300 are fast, easy, strong, and can win any race with any driver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.