R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2005, 06:50 AM   #46
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: auburn washington
Posts: 2,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
Having driven all of these cars I would have to say they each have their strengths and short comings.

Out of the 3 cars mentioned the X-Ray is the most well rounded car and is possibly the best carpet car and very good asphalt car.

The 415ms performs well on asphalt and is the best on low grip sealed asphalt. Carpet performance is horiffic and tweeks far to easily on high grip conditions.

The BD works well on asphalt and is ok on carpet so long as you don't run foams. Low grip performance is marginaly better than X-Ray but no where near the 415. The car is best suited for open circuits and tends to struggle on technical layouts.

I would recommend you go with the FK05 if you race both indoors and outdoors, or the 415 if plan to race asphalt only and will be racing on sealed surfaces.

sorry mark, gonna have to call out on this, who's bd have you driven on carpet with foam, whos bd have you driven on asphalt, andrew's, jb's, fresh outta the box, not setup time, give me/us break, while your post made it sound like you knew what you are talking about, we both know you do not have the time with the bd to make those comments, heck, you don't have that time with the 415, last week the xxx-s g+ was the best car ever built, before that you said, the tc3 was, this week, (cause you have one) the x-ray is. sorry again, but unless you have been secrectly buying and testing these cars i'm not buying it. and this is exactly what i meant when i said a pissing match between drivers.
Turtlemaster is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 07:02 AM   #47
Tech Regular
 
jdm19turn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 404
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

i own a xray fk04 and a xray fk05 both are super smooth and fast. but i like the xray fk05 better
__________________
mi4 ,mi5
jdm19turn is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 08:42 AM   #48
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,197
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniz24
Yes, but shaft car also has a diff correct? to aswblablabla : Are you sure you won't regret later because the rumours are Tamiya is going to release a new car from TRF line.
You said that it was some nightmare with the diff and belts, the SDW has no belts and the diffs are very easy to change and rebuild. It takes 2 screws to remove the dif in a SDW. Maybe I just misunderstood what you are trying to say?
pops is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 09:29 AM   #49
Regional Moderator
 
daniz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: D-Square Racing
Posts: 3,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops
You said that it was some nightmare with the diff and belts, the SDW has no belts and the diffs are very easy to change and rebuild. It takes 2 screws to remove the dif in a SDW. Maybe I just misunderstood what you are trying to say?
Hmmm, 2 screws to remove diff in Yoke SDW? How did you do that? Thanks
daniz24 is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #50
Tech Elite
 
teamgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hampton/VA Beach USA
Posts: 2,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniz24
The SDW and FK05 are also having this nightmare problem just like 415...
Not so. A couple mins (one bulkhead) to replace a diff/spur + a few more (an additional bulkhead) for a belt isn't much.

I've also found that if you don't tighten the screws securing the bottom chassis to the bulkheads down FIRST and check the chassis tweak to make sure its flat, BEFORE tightening the top plate and shock towers, then the car will have what I call a "default" tweak setting that the top deck and shock towers will allow the car to go back to during a crash.

In other words, the greatest tension on the overall chassis to influence tweak comes from the bottom screws. The screws from the shock towers and top deck have less pressure and influence on tweak & will "let go" of their originally set positions first.
teamgp is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 09:58 AM   #51
Tech Elite
 
mtveten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,668
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Ritchie,

Yes I have spent some time with JB's car and observed a several of them at a various tracks around. From what I have seen and experienced with my the car feels a bit numb and transitions slower than than both the X-Ray and 415. I would say that it is big step forward in agility from the SDW but less nimble than some of the other options out there. The BD's foam problem is nothing more than a tweek issue created by the excessive chassis flex just like the 415 but to a lesser extent.

Now speaking of the car of the week thing, when did I ever say the TC3 was THE car? Now if by last week you mean a few years ago when the G+ was new I would have to say it was one of the best cars out and is still competative on a variety of conditions today.

I understand you need to promote your sponsors product but you should do so in a more civil maner. The thread asked for opinions I gave mine, and your attack on it is uncalled for.

BTW I DO OWN A 415.

Mark


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemaster
sorry mark, gonna have to call out on this, who's bd have you driven on carpet with foam, whos bd have you driven on asphalt, andrew's, jb's, fresh outta the box, not setup time, give me/us break, while your post made it sound like you knew what you are talking about, we both know you do not have the time with the bd to make those comments, heck, you don't have that time with the 415, last week the xxx-s g+ was the best car ever built, before that you said, the tc3 was, this week, (cause you have one) the x-ray is. sorry again, but unless you have been secrectly buying and testing these cars i'm not buying it. and this is exactly what i meant when i said a pissing match between drivers.
mtveten is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #52
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,197
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniz24
Hmmm, 2 screws to remove diff in Yoke SDW? How did you do that? Thanks
sorry, I was thinking about the dif cases on the SD. I've never worked on the SDW, but I think it is like the BD, four screws and remove a couple of camber links and you can lift the diff out from the top..
pops is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 11:35 AM   #53
Tech Regular
 
PlainOleDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Grvl, SC, USA
Posts: 395
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I LOVE the Xray series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ben doin' this RC thingy fer about 20 years an' wen I seen that Xray, I had ta have one. Now I gots 5. I also have 2 TC3s; an MR4TC Pro and one each of the HPI (Electric cars, not including Pro4).
I only been racing Touring for about three years but I seen 'em all and I do believe, U kin make any of these to cartwheels, IF U GOT THE SET-UP!!!!!!!!!!
So agin, It's all upta wut U prefer.
Just My -O-
PlainOleDave is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #54
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,197
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
Ritchie,

Yes I have spent some time with JB's car and observed a several of them at a various tracks around. From what I have seen and experienced with my the car feels a bit numb and transitions slower than than both the X-Ray and 415. I would say that it is big step forward in agility from the SDW but less nimble than some of the other options out there. The BD's foam problem is nothing more than a tweek issue created by the excessive chassis flex just like the 415 but to a lesser extent.

Now speaking of the car of the week thing, when did I ever say the TC3 was THE car? Now if by last week you mean a few years ago when the G+ was new I would have to say it was one of the best cars out and is still competative on a variety of conditions today.

I understand you need to promote your sponsors product but you should do so in a more civil maner. The thread asked for opinions I gave mine, and your attack on it is uncalled for.

BTW I DO OWN A 415.

Mark
Turtlemaster seemed civil, but you sound like your opinion should be the rule and not just your opinion. All the cars mentioned are good cars, they all have good and bad aspects. Every driver can drive one of those cars on any day better than he can drive any of the others, depending on the track and conditions. Everyone tends to like the car they own now better than the others, they spent the money and the time for the car, what else would anyone expect. I own a Honda, and I think Hondas are better than Toyotas and Nissans.
pops is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 02:16 PM   #55
Tech Elite
 
mtveten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,668
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Pop's Please explain to me how Turtle's claim that I don't what I am talking about is civil. I very clearly gave my views as my opinion and make no apology for doing so. Everyone is entitled to their opinion including you, turtle and myself. Having driven all 3 cars I know they are all good and excel under different conditions. To simplify what I stated earlier the X-Ray is best for technical higher grip conditions such as carpet and ok on low grip surfaces. The 415 is best on low grip but poor on carpet. The BD is best on non-technical asphalt but only ok on carpet & technical tracks.

Mark
mtveten is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 02:29 PM   #56
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 55
Cool Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
Pop's Please explain to me how Turtle's claim that I don't what I am talking about is civil. I very clearly gave my views as my opinion and make no apology for doing so. Everyone is entitled to their opinion including you, turtle and myself. Having driven all 3 cars I know they are all good and excel under different conditions. To simplify what I stated earlier the X-Ray is best for technical higher grip conditions such as carpet and ok on low grip surfaces. The 415 is best on low grip but poor on carpet. The BD is best on non-technical asphalt but only ok on carpet & technical tracks.

Mark
Mark - How many weeks did you drive each car to form your opinion ? I hope it was not just based off one or two runs. I realize everyone has opinions on cars but most are after weeks of running them and trying different set ups. It seems like Pop's and Turtle are throwing out an opinion based on something they know ????? By the way have you tried the Pro 4 ? If so what is your opinion on that car ?
RacerX18 is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #57
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: norco, ca
Posts: 7
Default

BD
chuckles is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 02:48 PM   #58
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,197
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
Pop's Please explain to me how Turtle's claim that I don't what I am talking about is civil. I very clearly gave my views as my opinion and make no apology for doing so. Everyone is entitled to their opinion including you, turtle and myself. Having driven all 3 cars I know they are all good and excel under different conditions. To simplify what I stated earlier the X-Ray is best for technical higher grip conditions such as carpet and ok on low grip surfaces. The 415 is best on low grip but poor on carpet. The BD is best on non-technical asphalt but only ok on carpet & technical tracks.

Mark
I read it not as a flame, but as a rebuttal to your statements. You posted your statement as if you were an all knowing expert on the complete handling of all the cars. He questioned the amount of time you spent driving each car. Heck I don't know but I would think it would take several weekends or more spent with each car, trying many set-ups to know all that. But if you have done that, well it's still just your opinion. No one asked you for an apology
pops is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #59
Tech Master
 
jtveten's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lakewood, WA
Posts: 1,136
Default A few that like to fuel the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops
I read it not as a flame, but as a rebuttal to your statements. You posted your statement as if you were an all knowing expert on the complete handling of all the cars. He questioned the amount of time you spent driving each car. Heck I don't know but I would think it would take several weekends or more spent with each car, trying many set-ups to know all that. But if you have done that, well it's still just your opinion. No one asked you for an apology
Why does one have to resort to personalities if one's opinon differs from another's point of veiw.

He just gave the facts as have been currently published and stated by the top factory team drivers plus his own personal experience.

Why discredit someone simply for not spending the amount of time on the track you feel one should have before they can have an opinion about with your favorite car.

By your definition no one should or can give their opinion if they haven't spent a min. of x amount of time driving the car. How much time, 1 day, 1 week, 6 mos., 1 year?

Myself I would rather rely on the expert factory drivers responses and results at various events and venues as to their expert evaluations, plus the top drivers at the club level, in addition to my own experience; But that is just my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

Every car has its own pluses and minuses. Not everyone has the same driving style. Hence different makes of cars.

Some are better than others on certain conditions and are easier to tune.

Pops
jtveten is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 03:50 PM   #60
Tech Elite
 
ChadCapece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CofC
Posts: 3,313
Default

Only way to get honest answers is to talk with the pro's in person. I was told why the TC4 Plastic wasn't good enough to win the Worlds. Everyone on here speculated and gave opinions, but no one could back any of that b/c they weren't at the track and have never driven a TC4 that is/was truely dialed.






NOW...all cars that cost more than 300 are fast, easy, strong, and can win any race with any driver.
ChadCapece is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tc4 or mr4tc we R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 07-24-2007 08:05 AM
WTB: MR4TC - BD RTR dlloy R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 07-12-2005 08:40 AM
Need help with MR4TC Pro dimples Electric On-Road 3 02-02-2002 06:43 PM
MR4TC PRO and MR4TC Sport f/s or f/t Rr31rR R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 11-04-2001 12:33 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:13 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net