Wiki Posts
Search

F201

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by TheNige
Tamiya will be releasing a reinforced lower suspension arm for the F201 in late September.

http://www.formula1-rc.com/News/News.asp?ID=232
That is great to hear.. can't wait.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Just in time for the nationals!
Old 08-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by gtypecanare
Hey Steve,
Sounds good, I'll have a Monster motor fresh to run. I just wanna see how the 23T motor does with the speed-tuned gears and stock gears. Kinda weird science stuff for the morning. Looks like we'll have another beautiful day tomm. for testing and learning . To all the F201 racers in Washington state, good luck!
George, watch out. I painted my body this time. It's looks like a real F1 car, instead of a block of aluminum.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

With Casper driving, hehehehehe
Old 08-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by RCInfinity
Just in time for the nationals!
...but...will joe-schmoe be able to go to their local hobbystore and find them on the shelf...just in time for the nationals??
Old 08-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

new arms will not be available in Japan til Sept. 27.
probably another month before the US get it.

Rainbowten has them listed:
53637 F201 REINFORCED LOWER SUSPENSION ARM 800YEN 27TH

they can probably be pre-ordered.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Since the new arms will be stiffer, I wonder what type of handling characteristics will be changed?
Old 08-12-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by RCInfinity
Since the new arms will be stiffer, I wonder what type of handling characteristics will be changed?
I'm just guessing here...but i think not much as far as hadling will change....why?...the suspension rods are mounted very far out on the arms where arm flex has little to no effect on actuall suspension dampening...

now i think TAMIYA should make the upper gear case out the stiffer material also... heck, give the entire chassis the stiffy treatment

Old 08-12-2003, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Actually, that's not true about the handling. I'm running the FPM aluminum arms on my non-TCS car and it makes a huge difference. When I was running reinforced stock arms, the shock pistons would move maybe +/- 1.5mm with full droop and compression of the suspension. With the alum arms, the shocks have more like +/- 4mm travel. Also, since the shocks are actually doing something now, I found that I needed to go with heavier oil to stop the car porpoising around over the bumps. If the new arms and anywhere near as rigid as the alum arms, I think you will notice a big difference with the handling of the car.

It would be nice to at least see a carbon reinforced lower chassis tub and reinforced suspension mounts on the front lower gearcase.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by psycho
Actually, that's not true about the handling. I'm running the FPM aluminum arms on my non-TCS car and it makes a huge difference. When I was running reinforced stock arms, the shock pistons would move maybe +/- 1.5mm with full droop and compression of the suspension. With the alum arms, the shocks have more like +/- 4mm travel. Also, since the shocks are actually doing something now, I found that I needed to go with heavier oil to stop the car porpoising around over the bumps. If the new arms and anywhere near as rigid as the alum arms, I think you will notice a big difference with the handling of the car.

It would be nice to at least see a carbon reinforced lower chassis tub and reinforced suspension mounts on the front lower gearcase.
I agree with the huge performance change. I just didn't know what the car will do. Just the arms will change the car completely and setup will be different as well.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Psycho...

What's the best tires to use at Cambria for this weekend..hope to out there. Have both Pit Med and hard...
Old 08-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

RCInfinity

The only thing that I needed to change when I installed alum arms was the dampening. Since the shocks don't offer much dampening with the stock arms, it made sense when I thought about it the first time.

rc-zombies

I always run Pit hards all around and they work great on all the tracks that I have run them on. The last races have been pretty hot (150 track temps) so even the hard tires have been wearing a lot. Just make sure you clean the vht off them after each run.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by psycho
It reinforced suspension mounts on the front lower gearcase.
Most of us in Michigan have been back filling the bulkhead with epoxy and running a 4-40 all the way through both arms. Along with bracing the lower arms.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Arrow F201 foams..

anybody here familiar with the ufra foams??
here's a link..

the front tires- http://www.manilahobbies.com/shop/ti.../ufra_fr36.jpg

the rear tires- http://www.manilahobbies.com/shop/ti.../ufra_rr36.jpg

the fronts are 26mm and the rears are 30mm and they are both 36 shores.

will it work well on the f201 on both asphalt and carpet track?? providing im only using stock motors.

Last edited by ninen; 08-13-2003 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: F201 foams..

I would mount 1/12 scale foam donuts on the stock rims so you somewhat maintain the stock appearance. I think 36 shore will be too soft for carpet, but would probably work ok on fairly slippy asphalt. Purple, plaid or 40-45 shore should work better on carpet and grippier asphalt.

Since those are just touring car foams, there's nothing special about them, though. You can mount any toring car foam tires on the F201.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.