Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also, I'd rather break an A-arm than break the toe blocks or the chassis and have to do a lot more work to repair the car.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Tech Addict

More pictures please!
Old 10-22-2016, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

So today I decided to go back to the 72/38 ratio and give it another try. I hope to smooth out my driving with this ratio. It's quite tall. Less punching, more flow.

I also went and ordered the 46mm suspension pins which I will need to mount the TC suspension coming in the mail. Along with that I also added the 26mm Ride radials 😅 The 24mm Ride tires are excellent value and performance, I hope the 26mm's also be as good. The low sidewall makes the 24mm Ride USGT tire an excellent cornering tire. It's quite durable too.

One wayz!
The one way pulley has been fully broken-in now after several runs. The one way bearing spins much freer than it did when I first got it. The car keeps its momentum quite a bit now. Off power, provided you have the traction, turns in quite sharp, due to my suspension set up. On power is the same, but because I carry more momentum through a turn, I need to balance the throttle more now. Braking still sucks. 😂
Old 10-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

72/38 gearing definitely reduces some of the edge coming out of turns, I am less likely to oversteer due to (Mike Tyson's) punch out and the rear wheels slip-sliding sideways.

The minus side is that the motor runs hotter. With ~15degree end bell timing and 24 turbo.

The plus side is that I may have found a new place to mount a 30mm fan on the front end. It would require drilling.

Above is an image of the FF04, which uses a lot of the same front end bits of the Xv-01.

There is a small little shelf with little "U" like indentations facing outwards. You could drill small holes and tap them. Then place your fan on top of that shelf, securing the fan casing down with 2 screws.

I am not sure if sucking or blowing (air) would be more effective 😘

Here is a better picture of said area.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 4roller
There is a small little shelf with little "U" like indentations facing outwards. You could drill small holes and tap them. Then place your fan on top of that shelf, securing the fan casing down with 2 screws.

I am not sure if sucking or blowing (air) would be more effective 😘

Here is a better picture of said area.
Look at this post, maybe dark_luna can share how he did it (I can't find how to quote him in this message), as it looks quite nice...

BTW - what motor are you using? (I'm sorry if I have already asked that question in the past)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Ahh yes,

My original fan mount was positioned there. I made a metal bracket it worked relatively well. I was thinking about alternate positions that don't require custom brackets.

I am currently running a sensored 13.5T HobbyWing v10 version 2 and a v3.1 120A ESC by the same company.

Originally Posted by haplm
Look at this post, maybe dark_luna can share how he did it (I can't find how to quote him in this message), as it looks quite nice...

BTW - what motor are you using? (I'm sorry if I have already asked that question in the past)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Ahh yes,

My original fan mount was positioned there. I made a metal bracket it worked relatively well. I was thinking about alternate positions that don't require custom brackets.

I am currently running a sensored 13.5T HobbyWing v10 version 2 and a v3.1 120A ESC by the same company.
I see. I know that it is sort of ugly, but you can also glue it there ;-). This is how I mounted fan on my other car, and it holds really well. If I need to take it off, I use debonder. After few cycles of glue and debonder, the diff housing will become slightly damaged, but new is reasonably cheap. Securing it with short tap screw on top of the glue sounds like a good idea...

Are you going to use some heatsink as well? If you do, which one?

Regarding the motor - V10 has fairly open can, don't you have a problem with dirt going inside it?
Old 10-24-2016, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

I don't even drive this thing on dirt anymore don't hate me for buying this car for rally. I intended to drive rally, but man is it ever dirty. Cleaning the car off after every bash got tiresome. Driving on the street is equally appealing I am running at 7-8mm. I do occasionally lift it for rocky rutty streets.

So dirt in the motor isn't an issue for me (anymore), just road grime. I am converting it to a Touring Car suspension in the next couple weeks.

Originally Posted by haplm
I see. I know that it is sort of ugly, but you can also glue it there ;-). This is how I mounted fan on my other car, and it holds really well. If I need to take it off, I use debonder. After few cycles of glue and debonder, the diff housing will become slightly damaged, but new is reasonably cheap. Securing it with short tap screw on top of the glue sounds like a good idea...

Are you going to use some heatsink as well? If you do, which one?

Regarding the motor - V10 has fairly open can, don't you have a problem with dirt going inside it?
Old 10-24-2016, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

I don't even drive this thing on dirt anymore don't hate me for buying this car for rally. I intended to drive rally, but man is it ever dirty. Cleaning the car off after every bash got tiresome.
I can certainly understand that :-). However, I was really surprised how well and quickly it can be cleaned with compressed air. You just need a compressor for $100, and you are all set (unless the dirt is wet :-)).
Old 10-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Yes, I had gone the route of getting a compressor, but then decided that other than for spraying off my car, and filling my car tires, a compressor is somewhat overkill.

I started using my wet/dry vacuum to clean off my car. I'll give it another go. I DO enjoy spraying dirt and getting sideways. But I am also lazy about cleaning. HAHA.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Blowing air is always more effective. The air coming out of a fan travels in a more-or-less straight line, but the air going into a fan comes from all directions. There's a reason people don't point fans away from themselves on hot days and expect the fan to generate enough suction to make a breeze on the intake side. Even airplane propellers barely generate any noticeable suction on the intake side.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:48 PM
Tech Addict

Fair for the motor.

How about on an ESC? Same thing? The fan on my ESC is so close to the heat sinks. The channels are pretty small. To shove air into those channels or pull air from them? This is my next question.

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Blowing air is always more effective. The air coming out of a fan travels in a more-or-less straight line, but the air going into a fan comes from all directions. There's a reason people don't point fans away from themselves on hot days and expect the fan to generate enough suction to make a breeze on the intake side. Even airplane propellers barely generate any noticeable suction on the intake side.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:59 PM
Tech Addict

Default MF01X

I've been thinking about getting a little rally beater. A Tamiya Mf01X as a 4wd M-chassis. Anyone have one? How does it compare to rally vs the xv01?

Will I be disappointed with the build , plastics, parts, tuneability coming from the xv-01 grade of car?

I figured I could put my cheap parts, like futaba stock servo (3003?) and ESC (60A) into it and run silver can. It would come with a jeep-type body like a Suzuki Jimmy or Mercedes Benz. Seems like a fun, trail runner.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:13 AM
Tech Champion

Fair for the motor.

How about on an ESC? Same thing? The fan on my ESC is so close to the heat sinks. The channels are pretty small. To shove air into those channels or pull air from them? This is my next question.
In that case you could probably pull air away from the heatsink, but ultimately it would have the same effect as pushing air through the heatsink -- in either case, air exiting the heatsink will be warmer than air entering it.

Check out the Matteo's Movies review of the MF-01X on YouTube. It looks like it benefits greatly from the Yeah Racing long suspension kit.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:10 AM
Tech Adept

Does anyone know where I can buy an XV-01 Lancia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.