Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Review :)

Originally Posted by Scarab
Yep, most hardcore racers always hate when the playing field is leveled. This is why I'm vehemently opposed to Tamiya Silver Can TCS racing. What a cheaters paradise that is! Without Tamiya doing silver can handouts at races I will never race that class again. When I get caught up to and passed on the back straightaway in the Spec (where everyone is suppose to be equal) and/or GT3 class, something is wrong somewhere, and Tamiya doesn't care and turns a blind eye to the problem. Handout Silver Cans is the only way to level the playing field for people who don't have the resources to cheat with their silver cans.

Scarab
I have set multiple emails to Tamiya concerning the Silver Can cheating and everytime they have tried to defend their position saying they don't have the resources and BS like that. I have never gotten a reasonable reply. One person's email apparently doesn't make that much of an impact.

Scarab

You are correct in one respect: Buying 15 silver cans and keeping the fastest one, or having your silver can magnets zapped, or advancing the timing a bit, or any of the other tricks technically is not cheating. But it also isn't a level playing field and it's not fair to the other individuals who don't have the same advantage and resources. And I don't buy the "better line" BS either. In Spec, everyone is suppose to run the 19t pinion. If I'm 3/4th down the straightaway I should peg at my top speed, based on the 19t and the motor. There is NO WAY someone without a cheater motor should be able to catch and pass me.

The only individuals that would be opposed to silver can handouts, where everyone randomly picks a motor out of a bag, would be racers that have invested a lot of time and money making their motor faster then everyone else's out-of-the-box stocker.

That's why I gave up Spec and GT3. 27T, 19T, and Modified classes are all more equal than a SPEC class. Isn't that crazy?

Scarab

I think you guys must think I'm slow and always losing at my local club races and TCS. That is not the case. I was almost always in the A-Main for Spec. I know all the chassis tricks for the TL-01 and TT-01, and I'm a decent driver. You guys seem to be missing my point, which means you have gone to the trouble of finding the best motors and tweaking them. And I am certainly am a "have", meaning, if I wanted to, I could buy the best batteries, and find the best motors and get them zapped and tweaked and dyno'ed, etc et al. But Spec is suppose to be about everyone being equal and letting the driving do the talking, not the person with the deepest pockets. I also think it's weak that A LOT of racers sandbag in Spec just to win when they should have moved on to GT1 long ago. A kid with a new TT-01 or TL-01 kit fresh out of the box should have a chance to win too, but not with the sandbaggers. The best driver will win over any motor (within reason), but a great driver with a "miracle motor" that laps the entire field by two laps is just ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents. Agree or disagree.

Handout silver cans is the ONLY way to level the playing field. Period.

Scarab

First of all, I'm really holding my arguement to TCS Spec class. GT3 is kind of a "run what you brung" type class, so these tweaked motors are fine in my book. Secondly, my vision of SPEC, and I'm pretty sure it was Tamiya's vision too, is a way to get kids who buy a box kit, to build it and run it at TCS. I'm guilty of running in SPEC when I was better than most. My intention wasn't to accuse anyone of anything, but simply to point out that I think handout silver cans should be used to level the playing field, allowing driving to prevail over motor power and/or batteries.

Scarab
a review of what has been said. you've been quoted.. so it'd be difficult to go back and edit your posts now.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Tech Lord

I think you guys must think I'm slow and always losing at my local club races and TCS. That is not the case. I was almost always in the A-Main for Spec. I know all the chassis tricks for the TL-01 and TT-01, and I'm a decent driver. You guys seem to be missing my point, which means you have gone to the trouble of finding the best motors and tweaking them. And I am certainly am a "have", meaning, if I wanted to, I could buy the best batteries, and find the best motors and get them zapped and tweaked and dyno'ed, etc et al. But Spec is suppose to be about everyone being equal and letting the driving do the talking, not the person with the deepest pockets. I also think it's weak that A LOT of racers sandbag in Spec just to win when they should have moved on to GT1 long ago. A kid with a new TT-01 or TL-01 kit fresh out of the box should have a chance to win too, but not with the sandbaggers. The best driver will win over any motor (within reason), but a great driver with a "miracle motor" that laps the entire field by two laps is just ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents. Agree or disagree.

Handout silver cans is the ONLY way to level the playing field. Period.

Scarab
First of all, I'm really holding my arguement to TCS Spec class. GT3 is kind of a "run what you brung" type class, so these tweaked motors are fine in my book. Secondly, my vision of SPEC, and I'm pretty sure it was Tamiya's vision too, is a way to get kids who buy a box kit, to build it and run it at TCS. I'm guilty of running in SPEC when I was better than most. My intention wasn't to accuse anyone of anything, but simply to point out that I think handout silver cans should be used to level the playing field, allowing driving to prevail over motor power and/or batteries.

Scarab
I forgot to add. A reply to your statement(s) above (in bold red).

Quoted: (copied directly from Tamiya USA)
"The NEW Spec class is intended for Novice drivers. Participants wishing to enter a spec type class that is of intermediate to expert ability should opt to enter the GT-3 class. It will be at the discretion of the host site to weed out drivers who are attempting to enter this class, that are of better ability, to bump them up to a different class. "

Source: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs_races/rules.php#spec
Old 07-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Tech Lord

so when is the TA05-R coming out?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for getting us back on topic Chris...you putz
Old 07-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Thanks for getting us back on topic Chris...you putz
anytime gary... hi juan. hi ling! (guys are reading the thread arent they? )
Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Anyways Scarab, if you feel so strongly about the subject, start a new thread in the onroad section, or better yet, do a search for the subject and you may find that the same topic has been stewed over for generations, and its not just Tamiya cup. Last one i remember was 'Factory stock drivers at nationals'... are they sand bagging or are they told to run stock by the factory etc etc....

eitherway, the TA05 is still a great car
Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

sorry bill, some1 did it already....and sent it to me.

lets all just laugh bout it and move on.

-ult

Last edited by ultegrasti; 07-12-2006 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Geez, you guys are a little harsh on Scarab,
I feel your pain. I once sandbagged in GT3 at regional race #93 in Aliso Viejo back in 2003. I thought that it would be easy since I was cocky enough to think I could drive a better line and maintain more cornering speed than anybody else. I got blown away by about 20 feet every straightaway and people were passing me on the outside. Nobody was cheating. I didn't even make podium. The blame was all mine since I knew nothing about tuning a mabuchi. The bottom line is that you cannot blame other people for spending time, energy and money to get the most out of a mabuchi.

I stuck with Gt1 after that...and it's been really good to me .

So, how about that TA05? Can someone lend me theirs for past chumps?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by linger
I feel your pain. I once sandbagged in GT3 at regional race #93 in Aliso Viejo back in 2003. I thought that it would be easy since I was cocky enough to think I could drive a better line and maintain more cornering speed than anybody else. I got blown away by about 20 feet every straightaway and people were passing me on the outside. Nobody was cheating. I didn't even make podium. The blame was all mine since I knew nothing about tuning a mabuchi. The bottom line is that you cannot blame other people for spending time, energy and money to get the most out of a mabuchi.

wow.. i thought i already offered mine? just rebuild the diff. you know how i am about building diffs.

you think we'll be able to share one car for two classes?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I think I remember that race Ling
Old 07-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
wow.. i thought i already offered mine? just rebuild the diff. you know how i am about building diffs.

you think we'll be able to share one car for two classes?
iil sent ya mine, as long as i can get it back!

wish i could be there for the Nats... i need to check my schedule. the IIC is kinda close to it.

Wes
Old 07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think a lot of people see GT3 as an easy class. it's not. If anything it's the hardest because you are so horse power limited. You make 1 mistake and you're toast because you don't have the motor on tap to be able to motor back up on someone most of the time. Now if I had the TAOB guys tuning my motors, I'd be able to motor on people all day long..until I'd crash, then I'd have to do it all over again
Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You can borrow mine Linger.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
I think a lot of people see GT3 as an easy class. it's not. If anything it's the hardest because you are so horse power limited. You make 1 mistake and you're toast because you don't have the motor on tap to be able to motor back up on someone most of the time. Now if I had the TAOB guys tuning my motors, I'd be able to motor on people all day long..until I'd crash, then I'd have to do it all over again
yes its easier than gt2 but still very hard
Old 07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Not going to nats George?

-James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.