Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 Cell Sedan Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

540, stock and mod as the classes has been working well here, there are more and more new faces at pretty much all of the tracks at the moment.

i still dont get having classes within classes.
here atleast, people seem to enjoy being in a bigger field more - where nomatter where they are they'll have some good racing against somone else in one of the 3 classes while still having the faster guys in each class to aim at (rather than somone running the same motor in a different 'class'). aiming to make the next main up is also a good goal for motivation, rather than being assured a spot in the a or b.

anyhow back on topic.. with 3700's on the horizon, what has been happening every time capacity is increased while races remain at 5 minutes?

you're going to go down a wind, increase timing, whatever to make sure you're using every single drop from the new pack because that's the way to go faster.

but with 6 cells it's getting to the point where somethings got to give.

with just the current cells even the 27t stock cars are going pretty fast these days.. this class too seems to have gotten to the point where it's just too much for some of the new peoeple trying to get into the hobby to handle.

which is i think a big part of the reason why 540 has been working so well here. it's cheap and it seems to be a nice speed for people just starting out to learn at - not too fast, not too slow.

over there i would have thought racing needed an entry class more than a filler between stock and mod (19t) which seems to be a bit of a wasted class with 6 cells? (dont go straight for the neck - just an outsider's opinion ).

changing to 5 cell (or whatever) would be a short term expense in the way of cheaper racing in the long run (as parts of the car wont be stressed to the limits - motor especially, etc).

an idea to possibly address a point that seems to have a few people concerned - instead of forcing a begginer that turns upto the track with a 6 cell stick pack to cut the pack up would be to get them to run a 540 motor which in the end will be comparable to what stock would become (a better entry level class).
...kind of like how 6 cell stock and 4 cell mod worked out for a while there with the 12th scales.

19 turn (or whatever) would then end up being much more suitable intermediate class.

and hopefully mod would become more accesable.

if so many people wanted all out speed in this hobby - mod would currently be the biggest class.

and regardless of what happens the fast guys will still be out front.

Last edited by tones; 01-14-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just thought of another positve for 4 cell racing... with electronics constantly getting smaller and lighter and cells getting heavier and heavier this will allow for a better balanced shaft drive car..... ofcourse X-ray and XRXS guys really couldn't care less.....LOL
Old 01-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

BTW: how about a poll to see where most people stand....
Old 01-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Lots of good info here. Anyone willing to try out 4 cell offroad?

How is the racing down in Gulfport MS?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There are quite a few guys running 5 cell off road in Nor Cal. They run 12T mods on 5 cell or 14-19t in mod with 6 cells in 2wd buggy. Most of the faster guys are running the 5 cell setup with the lower wind motors. The cars get around better with the lighter weight.

They ran a 4 cell foam tire open mod class at the Northern CA sedan champs in Stockton a few days ago. The top guys were running faster in Mod 4 cell than the 19T 6 cell guys. The longest straight was ~55 feet. The layout was very technical.

The feel from the racers was 50/50 for/against. The cars had more corner speed but the lacked the rip of the open mod 6 cell cars. Motor wear was less than with 6 cell but you still had to cut and re brush the motor if you wanted to be really fast.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Cain
How is the racing down in Gulfport MS?
Nonexistent!
I have to drive to Mobile, AL (1hr) or Pensacola, FL (2.5hrs)!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Here's your chassis for 4 cell....

Old 01-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by tones

if so many people wanted all out speed in this hobby - mod would currently be the biggest class.

and regardless of what happens the fast guys will still be out front.
Amen!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
Amen!!!
Word!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 6-minute heats for Touring Cars

Its looking like a few guys at The Gate have proposed a 6-minute Sportsman Stock touring class.

The ideas being:

-3300 and now 3600 batteries have more than enough capacity to carry a car 6-minutes.

-Less of a sprint race-pace yourself and run clean.

-Gives beginners or sportsman level drivers more of what they want-TRACK TIME!!!

-if you bobble early-your race is not over!!!

I think they are going to propose to the track owners to try it Sunday. I wont be there to report how it goes as I have famly first stuff!!

IN conversing about this-it was interesting to hear that NORCAR was one of if not the first club to go 5-minutes many years ago!! SO maybe they'll be one of the foirst to bring 6-minute long races.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Suspended

Default Re: 6-minute heats for Touring Cars

Originally posted by rayhuang
Its looking like a few guys at The Gate have proposed a 6-minute Sportsman Stock touring class.
Good to hear it. Finally, the first step.

Just need to get the others to follow suit. When guys are running 8 turn motors in mod, that should be telling everyone that it's time to make the races longer.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

I'm glad to see this happening. It's long overdue. One of the reasons nitro is so popular are the longer races, and if we've got the technology to do it, I don't see a reason to run only 5 minutes.

"The best racing car is that one, that will collapse after the finish line," - Professor Ferdinand Porsche
Old 02-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Adrian,

Your idea about 4 cell sedan racing is fantastic. What is the chance of having the Schumacher annual 4 cell touring car shootout! Have it in conjuction in minnreg on carpet. Now that would be a race...you could have stock, mod, 19t and brushless..............
Old 02-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

We would be happy if Minnreg would roll out thier carpet for anything! I talked to Sam Ledford the club prez and even if I supplied a staff for track setup and teardown he seemed less then interested.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Ginsu
Adrian,

Your idea about 4 cell sedan racing is fantastic. What is the chance of having the Schumacher annual 4 cell touring car shootout! Have it in conjuction in minnreg on carpet. Now that would be a race...you could have stock, mod, 19t and brushless..............
Stock and 19t 4-cell would be flat out boring. I thought Adrians idea was for low-turn mod racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.