Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

T.O.P. PHOTON EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

quick note for everyone who hates taping batteries in. if you motor spray the 'sticky' side of the tape it becomes sticky again. give it a try -- put some on a rag and quickly 'clean' the 'sticky' side. works wonders... tape lasts 5x
Old 04-29-2012, 02:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Has anyone used the kit gear diff? What oil would be a good starting point for asphalt? I use 1000wt in my spec R....
Old 04-29-2012, 03:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamWTF
Has anyone used the kit gear diff? What oil would be a good starting point for asphalt? I use 1000wt in my spec R....
phil
mazmo finished his build build today & gave it a short run using 700wt shock oil, kit set up, 17.5 boosted & he said it felt really good,more info will to come after running next friday at the hill.any info i have i will post on the aussie photon thread

graham
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Phil,

As Graham mentioned have installed the kit gear diff, very easy to build and felt very smooth straight 'out of the box'. I used 70wt Losi shock oil.

The EX felt great with the kit gear diff, quick inspection after a short run and diff was already freeing up .. even smoother.

So far, very pleased with the EX. Rear of the car still very planted, tonnes of grip overall + lots of steering too ... more than original Photon.

Alan

Last edited by mazmo; 04-29-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

As I think others have mentioned I don't see the 5x9x0.1 for the gear diff. I noticed a drag of the outdrive on the Gear Diff case so I used an exacto knife to take a little material off.

I filled my diff with losi 15wt, and it feels nearly as free as a broken in yokomo gear diff. The center oring appears to be doing a good job but the 5mm outdrive orings aren't. I'm seeing a trace of red losi shock oil on both ends. Does anyone think the shims I left out might help??
Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
As I think others have mentioned I don't see the 5x9x0.1 for the gear diff. I noticed a drag of the outdrive on the Gear Diff case so I used an exacto knife to take a little material off.

I filled my diff with losi 15wt, and it feels nearly as free as a broken in yokomo gear diff. The center oring appears to be doing a good job but the 5mm outdrive orings aren't. I'm seeing a trace of red losi shock oil on both ends. Does anyone think the shims I left out might help??
I recommend retrofitting to a Xray Optimized gear diff!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The center oring appears to be doing a good job but the 5mm outdrive orings aren't. I'm seeing a trace of red losi shock oil on both ends. Does anyone think the shims I left out might help??
Did you grease the outdrive orings?, one thing I have noticed with all gear diffs, if you don't put grease on the outdrive shafts and orings, they leak, and some types of grease work far better than others.

Right now whenever I do something with plastic or orings (including shock orings), I use this fully synthetic green grease designed for use on brake calipers on full sized cars, does not react with anything, seems to improve the seal on many things with an oring.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

use siliconic Black Grease on oring and outrive, or Green Slime
I use Shumacher ball diff Grease...
Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by haywood
I recommend retrofitting to a Xray Optimized gear diff!
Haha.. u sound like me in 2010 but I was focused on the spool. You dont have to do anything that crazy... the ASC one has dual oring on the outdrives if u really want an upgrade.

I'm going to run it back to back next weekend to understand, he handling difference between my existing yokomo diffs.

Originally Posted by Bishop
Did you grease the outdrive orings?, one thing I have noticed with all gear diffs, if you don't put grease on the outdrive shafts and orings, they leak, and some types of grease work far better than others.

Right now whenever I do something with plastic or orings (including shock orings), I use this fully synthetic green grease designed for use on brake calipers on full sized cars, does not react with anything, seems to improve the seal on many things with an oring.

I haven't found grease to help. Maybe I'm not using the right stuff. Maybe a different oring would help.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TeamWTF
I ran sweep 2000 in my spec-r and the same again in the ex kit gear diff feels even better. Also followed the instruction by not filling it totally.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I uploaded a picture of the very small amount of plastic i removed from the gear diff housing at http://racerlog.com/wiki/T.O.P._Photon_EX#Gear_Diff
Old 04-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I uploaded a picture of the very small amount of plastic i removed from the gear diff housing at http://racerlog.com/wiki/T.O.P._Photon_EX#Gear_Diff
I did the same thing Mike. Ran the car tonight and now I'm going to tear the diff back down to check for wear. So far I'm very pleased with the car.

4.5 + EX =
Old 04-29-2012, 04:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by stiltskin
I did the same thing Mike. Ran the car tonight and now I'm going to tear the diff back down to check for wear. So far I'm very pleased with the car.

4.5 + EX =
Good deal Tony. Good to know the gear diff is holding up to running Modified..
Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stiltskin

4.5 + EX =
very good information! Sunday test with 5.5t on asphalt mixed track
Old 04-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Got to run my car on carpet and asphalt today. Running 2k in the gear diff, I think it might have been a little heavy for the carpet. but in general it felt really good. This was the first weekend the asphalt track was open so it was pretty dirty, but it felt great! I'm looking forward to more track time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.