Is On-Road racing dead?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is On-Road racing dead?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

All good points, again I think its the level you want to be in. I am sure the RTR he his talking about it good starter car. But as you get better is that car going to take you to the next level, I have not seen that car in West cost in Expert race yet. But I could be wrong. One reason I choose the car I drive was not for cost but also for support, many others were I race drive this car, helps to share setups, parts ect some times when needed. The OS motor is alot cheaper seems to be doing very well as far as performance. Its matter of Choice, and your budget. I guess on good day an RTR can have good lap, time and a win. What it matter as long as the person who owns it and drives it walks away and the end of the day and says that was fun.

Thats why we do it for fun.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Tech Addict

Exactly, its like any other sport - the higher up you go, the harder the competition and the more expensive it can get.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear
Im assuming this is a comparison between average racers?
Unless we're talking national level and above, if you're at the back of the grid, finishing multiple laps behind the front runners, a top engine will not help you, and, in fact, may slow you down. Practice WILL help you, hence the cheaper engine with budget left for fuel and tires will make you much faster than the expensive engine alone, having more fun in the process as well. For most (including myself, probably...) it is difficult to admit that driving skills and setup skills are the bottleneck.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by QuiXoTic_NL
the cheaper engine with budget left for fuel and tires will make you much faster than the expensive engine alone, having more fun in the process as well.
Yep, thats it!
If you have grabbed all the money you have to get the fastest equipment there is not much left to drive it. You will gonna spare the engine for the races and start saving money to get a 2nd one so then you have a spare and are willing to start training sessions. 2 expensive Flash tuned engines against 7 or 8 Basic 5T engines for the same price which are really fast makes the difference in whining about the costs or having fun not ever to think what is next when blowing an engine.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Tech Master

You said you don't think onroaders are moving offroad.Maybe there is variation depending on locality but I surely have seen this happening. Some guys are now coming back saying that eventually the offroading wasn't for them; but they did spend last 2-3 years there from some reason (offroad boom, no?)
I did it myself, too. Now I'm back on tarmac though I may try offroad buggies every now and then just for fun; well, also the onroad is just for fun for me, I do not compete on any level really.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

8 years ago I saw a RC commercial,the cars were the Thunder Tiger SSR and the Kyosho Pureten Alpha GP v1.I was mad about getting one and so did,saved about a year and bought a Alpha GP because it was a BTTC Vauxhall Astra that runs on tarmac and dirt and best of all it had a glow engine.It wasn't cheap but around 700€ could run on parking lots and smooth gravel like a rally car.It had standard servos without a battery pack so it was running 4,8v,talk about slow,the included muffler must come out of a airplane so the engine was torquey but slow I had tons of fun because it just looked and sounded the real thing.But my friends bought the new "In" thing,it was the 1/8 buggy.For 400€ you can bash it anywhere,it will take extra abuse and parts are plentiful and they come with "tuned" pipes for extra grunt.
Now,30 minutes drive from my house there's at least 4 off-road tracks,and the closest on-road is about 2 hours.I've never quit on-road,just added offroaders to the stable.Also 1/8 is taking too much of my time and money so i'm going to 2wd 1/10 buggys.
I think racers go after the fun,and the fun might be one day at SC trucks,the day after on 1/8 lolas and so on...
Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The problem with onroad right now is the complexity of the cars and speed.

With offroad you can buy a rtr or race roller and car works pretty good out of the box for a new or budget racers. Basically keep it in one piece and select the correct tires a racer can have ENJOYABLE time with the vehicle. He/She is not going to win the nationals with it but they have fun and COME BACK.

With onroad racing the cars are hugely complex for a new racer or budget racer. Small misteps in assembly or maintenance will make car undriveable on the track. The racer DOES NOT HAVE FUN and as such DOES NOT COME BACK.

This is the inherent problem with onroad racing...been around long time seen the show got the tshirt. Story has not changed over the past 2 decades. Does not matter if electric or nitro.

I thought the GT Spec class was going help but really has not. Alot of people buy the GT cars from local shop but most are just not that interested in organized racing.

The other issue with GT class is it is a different chassis..what happens when 3 guys show up to race? Is that fun for anyone? So now the new racer has made big investment in the car and has no one to race with...he is back out to parking lot.

Speed is other issue. Cars are just to fast for new racer or even veterans that don't have budget be it time or $ for onroad.

I think the Europeans have interesting concept with spec engines in 1/8 onroad. They use 5port budget engine (I think 3 port would be even better). I think this would be a great way to go as you now have the investment in chassis and they can move up to open class or if you dont have enough entries they can run in the open class. Slows the cars down so new and veteran racers can have good time.

The RCGT concept has worked pretty good at local carpet track and it has proved hugely popular and brought back old face and more importantly kept NEW faces at the track. I think the main reason due to the fact that it uses the SAME CHASSIS as the open classes and it is SLOWER. So now the racer has investment in chassis that he can learn with and move up to open class.

Jamie
Old 05-27-2011, 04:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
I do not think many onroad racers make a switch to offroad. If you are an onroad fan and can not pay the high costs then you take a search for another onroad class.

Offroad is booming because most young drivers choose an offroad car as 1st RC car because they know the can drop it everywhere and take a drive. They grow up with this and later on a part of those starters will end up in the offroad racing scene. Beside that, it is less difficult to find a track close to home.

Onroad racing doesn't have to be expensive, I think Edam with their RTR 1/8 car does show that, it is a good choice for most 1/8 onroad starters to become an expert on clublevel racing. The high costs are more within the mind of the driver. He wants to have the new 900 dollar Murnan tuned Nova Flash PTS and all fancy titanium, carbon and aluminium upgrades and also lightweight rimms and bodies while most racers do not need it, most drivers do not gain an advantage with all those expensive and short live stuff. If you are more than a second off from the fastest laptimes then the fingers and the setup must do the trick and not the option parts.

I also do think on these forums there is less common sense. If a starter asks what engine he needs he will be pointed to many expensive engines and mostly modified while a simple cheap 5p or 7p engine will do fine but no, most people are telling him to get the Murnan Flash or something in that order.

The high costs are also really there but are also partly made by the users on these forums advising the wrong stuff making the starters thinking in the same way.....
Good post.

Most of our new comers will be recomended to buy a used car and used motors. And we will try to point them in the direction of a guy that knows what he is doing and has stuff for sale.

Last season my friend got back into 1/8th and he picked up a MRX4 with servos for 400, the car was well kept and in good shape. the servo's alone are worth $300+

This season we have 2 new guys joining 1/8th one bought a new car the other bought a used car.Both are friends and both happen to buy the same car.(sheperd)

They both bought good used motors, and they both are learning the ropes.

I might be different then some people, I view RC racing as a hobby, but its racing I view it no different then Go-karts, Dirt bikes, Auto-cross, Its a hobby that happens to have turned into a sport. I do it for the sport and the thrill(fun) of racing, I do it to try and do the best that i can.

As for offroad the semi local indoor offroad track runs gas and just about every class, one of the bigger classes is Electric 1/8th 4wd buggy. There are some pretty cheap 1/8th buggys out there Ofna makes a few, non of them are winning or making the A be it gas or electric.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This tread useless nitro onroad is doing just fine in my area. I don't like offroad it's to dirty and they are not as fast as onroad cars.of you can't afford nitro onroad do onroad electric or offroad. Me and all the other racers like $500.00 motors you don't need them but they are fast. Racing is expensive if the cost scares you just become a basher. Have fun. End of thread
Old 05-27-2011, 05:22 AM
kmh
Tech Addict

THE BIGGEST THREAT TO ON-ROAD RACING IS HAVING A TRACK TO RUN ON!!
Other than that ,on-road is fine, you just may have to travel. Thats the biggest expense with doing R/C seriously. ON-ROAD FOR LIFE!!!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:47 AM
Tech Lord

We are missing one other threat to the whole RC: the gameconsoles.
Current teenagers are called the Playstation generation. They can play the most awesome games on TFT bigscreens without leaving home. They can even play with a whole comunity online without leaving home.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Region 1

On road racing fine in region one. Kosmic race this past week at Chaplin was awesome as well as fierce competition.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER
On road racing fine in region one. Kosmic race this past week at Chaplin was awesome as well as fierce competition.
Problem is it is just the same core group. In five years it will more or less be same guys running onroad...nice that we have a dedicated group in northeast but would be nice to see some new racers on carpet and outdoors.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kmh
THE BIGGEST THREAT TO ON-ROAD RACING IS HAVING A TRACK TO RUN ON!!
+1 here.

Maybe just me but it seems like off-road tracks pop up a lot more that on-road tracks big enough to run nitro 1/8. this could defiantly be a regional thing. What's big here may not be so big somewhere else. For cost, racing is expensive no matter if it's on or off road. to be competitive on-road you do have to drop more on an engine but for someone just starting racing the fastest is just a bad idea. It will be very expensive if you destroy your car every time you run because the engine is a lot faster than the driver
Old 05-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Dead implies ZERO life! No cars, no racers, no tracks at all. So obviously, onroad is not dead. Hell, we have more 1/8th cars to choose from now than we may have ever had. When I started, it was all Serpent with just one or two Piccos. Sure Mugen and Kyosho were around but no one ran them in the states. Now you have Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent, Shepherd, Xray, Capricorn, Motonica, Edam/Pursuit all making great cars. These people don't spend that kind of money to make a car for a DEAD segment.

Yes, it has declined somewhat. That is normal in tough economic times. But it will never die.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.