Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hey Steve. I just installed the GTB spread spectrum with the 10.5 motor in my '007.

I had to run the motor capacitor wire over the top of the motor and zip tie the power cap to the rear bulkhead top deck. Do you think that will be ok as far as the heat from the motor? Take a look at a pic I took..The wires are kinda hidden by the other motor wires.http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...4&d=1197824750

Might be a better pic..http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...3&d=1197824717

Also It said in the manual that the spread spectrum will work with the spectrum pro. But I just have the old grey Spectrum Module in the back of my transmitter(M8) and the Spectrum micro reciever. Will this be ok?
Old 12-19-2007, 12:57 PM
The Evicerator

HRC,

I don't see why your capacitor location would be a problem...just be sure that it can't hit the spur gear if it gets jostled!

As far as your Spektrum question goes... the SS GTB will run fine with ANY 2.4 GHz system that is currently available.

Originally Posted by HRCRACER123
Hey Steve. I just installed the GTB spread spectrum with the 10.5 motor in my '007.

I had to run the motor capacitor wire over the top of the motor and zip tie the power cap to the rear bulkhead top deck. Do you think that will be ok as far as the heat from the motor? Take a look at a pic I took..The wires are kinda hidden by the other motor wires.http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...4&d=1197824750

Might be a better pic..http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...3&d=1197824717

Also It said in the manual that the spread spectrum will work with the spectrum pro. But I just have the old grey Spectrum Module in the back of my transmitter(M8) and the Spectrum micro reciever. Will this be ok?
Old 12-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
HRC,

just be sure that it can't hit the spur gear if it gets jostled!
Thanks Steve. I have it pretty tightly zip tied on there. It should be fine.

I have never even ran it yet I just got it. I am very excited about trying out brushless!!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:17 AM
The Evicerator

doo pee doo!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Steve, Can we get a pic of the GTB Installed in your X-Ray?

I would love to see how you ran everything..
Old 12-20-2007, 09:16 AM
The Evicerator

I will try to take some pictures sometime today or tomorrow and get them posted for you guys...
Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
I will try to take some pictures sometime today or tomorrow and get them posted for you guys...

Nice...Thanks Steve.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

good to see you rocking the COD4 again last night steve.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:06 AM
The Evicerator

It was good to be back! Albeit a bit rusty.. .but I'm sure I'll be back to form sooner or later
Old 12-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

hey steve, im having a really weird glitching issue. Was happening back when my setup was Cyclone Tc2, Standard steering servo, and aitronics FM receiver that came with my MX-3 a while back (a long time ago actually). I have a carbon fiber chassis, but it never glitched at all for the longest time. I put the tc3 down for a while, then picked it back up this year and when i took it to La Mirada for OC circuit, it would glitch like crazy. I put it down again for awhile then went back to La Mirada for Toys4Tots...glitched worse. At this point, i was using a JR z590 steering servo, an XBR, and the same airtronics 75mhz FM receiver. I cleaned the receiver out, put double sided tape under everything (two layers), and put electrical tape around any touching wires in an attempt to insulate them more to keep the glitching down. Didnt help at all. Now here i am in San Antonio visiting my brother who wants me to race with him, and i got out to practice and its glitch city. I come try a different set of crystals and its no use. I try those crystals (and my original crystals) in an M11, no change. I go back to my mx-3 and try a different antenna...a tad less glitching but its still there. Now im back in my brother's street and it begins glitching when i go like... less than 30ft away but more than say...10-15ft. The throttle seems to studder heavily and after the throttle studders, sometimes the steering glitches too but the steering will never glitch if thats ALL i touch or move. Everything goes wrong once i hit the throttle (and this was with both the mx-3 and the m11). I had electrical tape across the bottom of the chassis and under the antenna and stuff to help insulate, no dice. I took it off and it seems better, oddy enough, but still bad. I switched to a different aitronics FM 75mhz receiver and try 2 sets of crystals in it both with the mx-3 and m11, still glitches (but alot less, though enough to anger me). Again, no glitching AT ALL unless i get on the throttle. This time i even put the receiver on top of the servo to keep it off the carbon fiber chassis and away from the ESC and its wires.

what the heck can this problem be? If i glitch tomorrow at the track again...im calling off racing on saturday with my bro because it would be a big waste of money. $20 and a toy donation for toys for tots and i glitched every single heat and was never able to really do my best because of it.

the really confusing part, if you backtrack a little, i went to SoCal on the friday before their last sunday race before they closed up... NO GLITCHING WHATSOEVER. But now here i am, glitchy as crazy again.

any ideas?

pics: the motor wires are long because i swap this between my buggy and my tc3. The same glitching issues were experienced with a cyclone tc2/co27 combo that had super short motor wires...and this is the setup (nearly) that didnt glitch at all at SoCal...

Last edited by Syber Serulean; 12-20-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:56 PM
The Evicerator

Syber,

It sounds like you've done a fair amount of trading stuff around and reinstalling your equipment to try to solve your glitching problem.

I would cut down the lengths of your wires so that they are just long enough to get from point A to point B... everytime you have a power wire looped around in your car like that it acts like an antenna and that can cause glitching.

Also, try to keep your signal wires well clear of your power wires (motor and battery wires)

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
hey steve, im having a really weird glitching issue. Was happening back when my setup was Cyclone Tc2, Standard steering servo, and aitronics FM receiver that came with my MX-3 a while back (a long time ago actually). I have a carbon fiber chassis, but it never glitched at all for the longest time. I put the tc3 down for a while, then picked it back up this year and when i took it to La Mirada for OC circuit, it would glitch like crazy. I put it down again for awhile then went back to La Mirada for Toys4Tots...glitched worse. At this point, i was using a JR z590 steering servo, an XBR, and the same airtronics 75mhz FM receiver. I cleaned the receiver out, put double sided tape under everything (two layers), and put electrical tape around any touching wires in an attempt to insulate them more to keep the glitching down. Didnt help at all. Now here i am in San Antonio visiting my brother who wants me to race with him, and i got out to practice and its glitch city. I come try a different set of crystals and its no use. I try those crystals (and my original crystals) in an M11, no change. I go back to my mx-3 and try a different antenna...a tad less glitching but its still there. Now im back in my brother's street and it begins glitching when i go like... less than 30ft away but more than say...10-15ft. The throttle seems to studder heavily and after the throttle studders, sometimes the steering glitches too but the steering will never glitch if thats ALL i touch or move. Everything goes wrong once i hit the throttle (and this was with both the mx-3 and the m11). I had electrical tape across the bottom of the chassis and under the antenna and stuff to help insulate, no dice. I took it off and it seems better, oddy enough, but still bad. I switched to a different aitronics FM 75mhz receiver and try 2 sets of crystals in it both with the mx-3 and m11, still glitches (but alot less, though enough to anger me). Again, no glitching AT ALL unless i get on the throttle. This time i even put the receiver on top of the servo to keep it off the carbon fiber chassis and away from the ESC and its wires.

what the heck can this problem be? If i glitch tomorrow at the track again...im calling off racing on saturday with my bro because it would be a big waste of money. $20 and a toy donation for toys for tots and i glitched every single heat and was never able to really do my best because of it.

the really confusing part, if you backtrack a little, i went to SoCal on the friday before their last sunday race before they closed up... NO GLITCHING WHATSOEVER. But now here i am, glitchy as crazy again.

any ideas?

pics: the motor wires are long because i swap this between my buggy and my tc3. The same glitching issues were experienced with a cyclone tc2/co27 combo that had super short motor wires...and this is the setup (nearly) that didnt glitch at all at SoCal...

Last edited by Steve Weiss; 12-20-2007 at 11:00 PM. Reason: somehow didn't see the pictures at first :P
Old 12-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

way ahead of you, steve.

(they were edited in above)

Last edited by Syber Serulean; 12-20-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Steve:

If a ninja falls in the woods, does he make a sound? I mean, since ninja's just don't make any sound....
Old 12-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TPhalen
Steve:

If a ninja falls in the woods, does he make a sound? I mean, since ninja's just don't make any sound....
I think it would sound like a big wind gust without the wind...you know that woooooooooooooooooooooossssshhhhhhhing sound they make in every movement on T.V.................................LOL
Old 12-21-2007, 07:53 AM
The Evicerator

I agree it might just be a slight "woosh" sound...but what would be really telling is probably the very lightly mumbled

"awr sheet" coming from the ninja's mouth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.