Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc) >

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
Per ROAR, 1 fan on the motor, 1 on the ESC. We actually tried 2 of the Fantom/Boss/Geisha fans on Matt's 17.5 car, and saw no improvement over 1 fan.
too bad this mount won't fit the 25mm Geisha fans...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We can make a 25mm version if there is enough demand. We went with 30mm since we found there to be more readily available fans.

Honestly, I did not expect so much excitement from people with this part, but if they prove to be popular enough, I have no issue with making subsequent ones as well. Maybe we can make another version more generic to use on other chassis and that has both fan size options.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for making killer products! With RSD pistons and springs (15.5, 14.5) my TC6 was superb all weekend long at the 27th annual Summer Sizzler. This combo was used to take 1st and 3rd in Modified.

Keep up the good work!

Kody
Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
We can make a 25mm version if there is enough demand. We went with 30mm since we found there to be more readily available fans.

Honestly, I did not expect so much excitement from people with this part, but if they prove to be popular enough, I have no issue with making subsequent ones as well. Maybe we can make another version more generic to use on other chassis and that has both fan size options.
How about a micro adapter plate that bolts in the 30mm holes, and offsets the 25mm fan? I'm betting it would probably put the fan in about the same place. Offer it as a package deal, that way you have only one SKU to track, and people could swap back and forth as necessary. Couldn't possibly impact price enough to make or break someone's decision.

If you could get a steady supply of a good fan, people would beat a path to your door, too. The current generation of motors responds very well to a fan (as someone already noted, heatsinks often increase motor temps), and only those double mounts were intended for brushed motors (cooling the can and the endbell). The Muchmore turbo fans are OK. I ran back to back to back runs once with a Muchmore turbo, a Yeah Racing tornado, and a Boss. Temps on the Muchmore and Yeah Racing were about the same, and the Boss reduced the temps by about half again over the others. I'm of the mindset that ANY fan is better than none......especially in blinky! Supposedly the newer motors (Reedy, RevTech, etc) all run cooler, which leaves even more room for gearing!

If you're going to accomodate the Fantom/Boss/Geisha, be aware that it's at least twice as thick as the other fans. Most people are hardwiring the fan to the + and - contacts of the speed control, too. (Note, REMOVE your battery leads after your run and BEFORE going out to turn marshal, or you'll come back to your pit with a lipo in trouble!)

Last edited by Buckaroo; 08-16-2011 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Yeah racing tornado fan, not the 3racing one!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

I do not think that you need to do anything with this support for smaller fan, with the fan under the arm, i am sure it will hold no prob with only one screw and a little threadlock, specially for a 25mm.

But I do prefer to have my fan over the motor rather than behind.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I like the fan behind. Stays away from wiring and is technically a lower CG.....

The fan mount shown could work on any chassis right now, you'd just have to drill holes......

If you could have a reliable fan that also didn't break the wallet it would sell like hotcakes. I can't believe the prices on some of the brands I've seen.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What about molding it out of plastic to shave the weight a bit more, and also making the arm come out parallel to the motor and mount to the bottom two fan holes, to keep the CG that little bit lower? I can see that the way you've got the arm now is probably much better for materials and machining costs, though.

Some kind of template or drill guide for mounting on other chassis might be nice for mounting to other chassis.

-Mike
Old 08-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

The way that things flex when these little toys go bumping around, the last thing I want to worry about is my fan mount flexing and smashing into my motor ruining my fan. I'll take the extra few grams weight penalty for the assurance that if the fan mount bends, I'm going to have bigger troubles anyway.

Great idea on the fan mount template, though, for other chassis. I'd surely put them in my Photons, too!

Last edited by Buckaroo; 08-16-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grippgoat
What about molding it out of plastic to shave the weight a bit more, and also making the arm come out parallel to the motor and mount to the bottom two fan holes, to keep the CG that little bit lower? I can see that the way you've got the arm now is probably much better for materials and machining costs, though.

Some kind of template or drill guide for mounting on other chassis might be nice for mounting to other chassis.

-Mike
Well, molding is too expensive, so that is out of the question. We won't sell enough to justify the cost of the mold.

The arm is done in the way it is because it uses less machining this way. It also holds the fan structurally better than using the 2 bottom holes of the fan. The CG difference would be so small, as this part weighs near to nothing. I'll post the weight later, but I doubt it is more than 1/4 - 1/2 oz TOPS.

For the Photon, is there 2 holes to which we could mount a fan somewhere on the chassis? We can design an entirely different mount for that. I would love to look into making parts for other cars. The Tamiyas and Photons are first on my list after the TC6.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cwoods34
I like the fan behind. Stays away from wiring and is technically a lower CG.....

The fan mount shown could work on any chassis right now, you'd just have to drill holes......

If you could have a reliable fan that also didn't break the wallet it would sell like hotcakes. I can't believe the prices on some of the brands I've seen.
The reason I mentionned above is that I have seen a couple of fans being "ejected" from their support after a head on collision, this does not happen with fan above in horizontal position, one of the reason why I am not using Nosram's fan support anymore (too bulky), instead I use a small clip on with a 30mm fan, and a protection cover to keep the moving part in.

Also, your fan is pushing air that your car (with its movement forward) push out, just a thought...
Old 08-17-2011, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by olly986
The reason I mentionned above is that I have seen a couple of fans being "ejected" from their support after a head on collision, this does not happen with fan above in horizontal position, one of the reason why I am not using Nosram's fan support anymore (too bulky), instead I use a small clip on with a 30mm fan, and a protection cover to keep the moving part in.

Also, your fan is pushing air that your car (with its movement forward) push out, just a thought...
I've seen some of the hardest head on hits into concrete barriers at the end of our sweeper/front straight you could possibly imagine. Never seen a fan come loose from anywhere it's mounted. Not saying it can't happen, just that if it does, the mount material/hardware is faulty, not necessarily the positioning. We typically use either shoe goo or Parma double sided tape. Both survive all types of head on hits at full speed.

There's really very little airflow through these bodies with the newer solid chassis plates in the area where fans are usually mounted (aft of the motor, forward of the rear suspension mount hardware, and clear of the layshaft hardware). If anything, it's pulling cooler air than you're going to get from a top mounted fan blowing down(heat rises) and cleaner air than a front mounted fan (all the dirt/dust/rocks kicked up from the front suspension is going to shoot through your expensive fan and onto the motor. Don't forget about carpet fuzz, too. Aft mounted, the fans don't get bound up with carpet fibers).

For the Photon, is there 2 holes to which we could mount a fan somewhere on the chassis? We can design an entirely different mount for that. I would love to look into making parts for other cars. The Tamiyas and Photons are first on my list after the TC6.
The answer on the Photon is "Depends on which chassis and configuration you're running". The Photon chassis uses carbon plates to connect the center bulkheads to the outer suspension bulkheads. For asphalt, it's a two point direct bridge, for carpet/foam it's a three point triangulated to an aluminum chassis stand-off. So, with an asphalt set up, you have a free hole to use, but carpet...no. Then there's the wrench of the new super narrow EJ and Exotek chassis which everyone is currently changing to, which has no additional hole.

Bottom line is, for a Photon, you're really looking at drilling the holes necessary. I'm thinking that if you're at that level, you're not going to quibble about getting the right size drill bit, or the $5 countersink tool, as long as you have a good mounting template! Just for safety's sake, though, I'd include instructions on how to place the template and drill/countersink the holes with hand tools. As a side note, if the foot of the mount was L shaped, it could brace against the existing bulkhead and only one hole would be needed.

Last edited by Buckaroo; 08-17-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by olly986

Thanks for the suggestions, but the design is to our satisfaction an will stay as is for the TC6. The temperature drop is satisfactory and the access to the fan, which is one of the main reasons it is done this way is why it was made the way it is.

The air flow is sufficient an does exactly what we want, which is increase airflow behind the motor, where air never really gets to directly. This lowers the motor temperatures more, as you are hitting the point which is typically hotter.

As for it coming off... Doubtful. It is secured on to a 3 and 4mm wide aluminum brace with M3 screws. That fan is not going anywhere, unless you mangle and destroy your car in a full speed collision against maybe a brick wall. Even then, it might still be on there, and at this point the fan is the least of our worries.

Lastly, let's not be so cynical. We are half-full cup guys at Reflex, and we like our thread to reflect that tone.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions, but the design is to our satisfaction an will stay as is for the TC6. The temperature drop is satisfactory and the access to the fan, which is one of the main reasons it is done this way is why it was made the way it is.

The air flow is sufficient an does exactly what we want, which is increase airflow behind the motor, where air never really gets to directly. This lowers the motor temperatures more, as you are hitting the point which is typically hotter.

As for it coming off... Doubtful. It is secured on to a 3 and 4mm wide aluminum brace with M3 screws. That fan is not going anywhere, unless you mangle and destroy your car in a full speed collision against maybe a brick wall. Even then, it might still be on there, and at this point the fan is the least of our worries.

Lastly, let's not be so cynical. We are half-full cup guys at Reflex, and we like our thread to reflect that tone.
Hello Cristian, not trying to be cynical at all, and what I mean about "ejecting" fan is the actual moving part which is leaving its support, hence I use a "cover" on front of mine to stop it leaving its casing (can be done with your arm) something that I have seen twice this year (on Nosram/LRP), and by the way English is not my first language, so excuse me if I say something different from what I mean
Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwoods34
DANG IT, I just ordered a Tornado fan from RCMart

Hey BlackedOutREVO, what was the grip like, and what tires did you use? I decided on 40wt all around, and left full rebound. In 17.5 I liked 0 rebound because the car felt smoother to drive, but for mod on carpet it felt a bit lazy.
Grip was low/medium on asphalt, ran sorex 36's and 40's. I havent liked any rebound on my tc6 shocks, been running tc5 bladders with a 1mm hole in the cap. Shocks always have zero rebound and my car seems the most consistent this way. My car was a bit lazy but a short rear camber link and higher up rear rollcenter blocks livened my car up enough for me.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
Grip was low/medium on asphalt, ran sorex 36's and 40's. I havent liked any rebound on my tc6 shocks, been running tc5 bladders with a 1mm hole in the cap. Shocks always have zero rebound and my car seems the most consistent this way. My car was a bit lazy but a short rear camber link and higher up rear rollcenter blocks livened my car up enough for me.
Lies, needs more cow bell...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.