Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Alright guys. I sold 1 RC car in order to get into USVTA again. All the used ARTR VTA cars are either sold or no longer for sale. I have 1 other possible lead for a tc5 or 6 but I'm not 100% sure that deal is going to pan out.

So on to my other possible option of getting back into VTA racing.

I own a rather run down TC3. It's been sitting since 2004. It was my 1st ever hobby grade RTR RC car. I used to race it in Stock Foam in 2003 and the 1st couple months of 2004 when the track closed down. I put it away and later it became a parts donor car, currently missing the front CVDs.

Anyway I'm considering taking my TC3 and upgrading it with TC4 shock towers, TC4 chassis braces, TC4 DVCs.

It would be about the same price working with my current rc car as it would be buying a suitable TC5 or better.

Do the TC4 control arms convert over or no? Is is possible to use the control arms with caster blocks with steering knuckles from the TC4 on a TC3?

I'm just trying to weigh all my options with what I currently have for the money I have available. Currently $250 for my budget.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jdeadman
So anyone Here shear off the Center Driveshaft (Carbon) ? I did last night . Didn't think you could break one but it looks like I had some rubbing on the shaft and that allowed the shaft to snap.
Yes, I've done that before. I was running a TC3 and the shaft was rubbing on the servo mount. We were running our cars with 6-cell/10 turn motors on a velodrome track (speeds around 50mph). When the shaft broke while practicing, it took out the reciever antennae and I lost control of the car. Luckily nothing broke. At the same race event I also managed to bend an aluminum drive shaft while revving up the motor with the car in my hand.

At the time Niftech made titanium drive shafts, which I'm still using to this day. Lighter than aluminum and have much better balance.

----------

As far as a carbon shaft, there are people that have made their own shafts. If you search here on RCTECH, you should be able to find the posts.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In the right hands, a TC3 is more than capable of winning in VTA. In fact a TC3 won the A-main last week in Indy (against very good competition).
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

TC3 is a good vta platform. This also looks like a good deal and fits your budget if you want a tc4 instead http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...4-vta-rtr.html

Originally Posted by AudioStylz
Alright guys. I sold 1 RC car in order to get into USVTA again. All the used ARTR VTA cars are either sold or no longer for sale. I have 1 other possible lead for a tc5 or 6 but I'm not 100% sure that deal is going to pan out.

I own a rather run down TC3. It's been sitting since 2004. It was my 1st ever hobby grade RTR RC car. I used to race it in Stock Foam in 2003 and the 1st couple months of 2004 when the track closed down. I put it away and later it became a parts donor car, currently missing the front CVDs.

Anyway I'm considering taking my TC3 and upgrading it with TC4 shock towers, TC4 chassis braces, TC4 DVCs.

It would be about the same price working with my current rc car as it would be buying a suitable TC5 or better.

Do the TC4 control arms convert over or no? Is is possible to use the control arms with caster blocks with steering knuckles from the TC4 on a TC3?

I'm just trying to weigh all my options with what I currently have for the money I have available. Currently $250 for my budget.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Okay, sorry, did a bunch of researching and from what I can see by looking at the TC4 parts and visually comparing the TC3 parts I have. (shock towers, control arms, steering knuckle, rear hubs, caster blocks) If I used all those parts together I should be able to do the conversion with the TC4 parts.

Main differences are the TC4 uses little button head screws to capture the outer hinge pins which eliminate the need for the center mounted set screw that the TC3 uses in the bottom of the rear control arms and front caster blocks. Doing TC4 arms I can then use the TC4 caster blocks along with the TC4 steering knuckles and shock tower for the front. Use the rear control arm with hub carrier and rear shock tower as well as the chassis braces.

I'm just looking for confirmation of how true this is or if I'm missing something.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by anr211
TC3 is a good vta platform. This also looks like a good deal and fits your budget if you want a tc4 instead http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...4-vta-rtr.html
I've sent him a couple PMs with no response. I would have to get a body and new wheels/tires which will put me $70 or so past my $250 budget.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My experience with running aluminum driveshaft with front cvd's resulted in lots of driveshaft wobble and damaged front input shaft bearing. When I switched over to LCD's , the vibrations went down completely , but I still had to make sure my front tires were spinning with no visible vibrations....
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Okay, sorry, did a bunch of researching and from what I can see by looking at the TC4 parts and visually comparing the TC3 parts I have. (shock towers, control arms, steering knuckle, rear hubs, caster blocks) If I used all those parts together I should be able to do the conversion with the TC4 parts.

Main differences are the TC4 uses little button head screws to capture the outer hinge pins which eliminate the need for the center mounted set screw that the TC3 uses in the bottom of the rear control arms and front caster blocks. Doing TC4 arms I can then use the TC4 caster blocks along with the TC4 steering knuckles and shock tower for the front. Use the rear control arm with hub carrier and rear shock tower as well as the chassis braces.

I'm just looking for confirmation of how true this is or if I'm missing something.
To run TC4 caster blocks on your TC3 you will need to drill holes for 2-56 screws in your arms just like the TC4 has to hold the hinge pins.
or
You can use TC4 arms on your TC3 if you drill out your TC3 arm mounts for the thicker TC4 hinge pins, you will also need to shorten the TC4 hinge pins.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hey, Give your TC3 a chance, I am still running mine, I have up graded the shocks, installed light wt diffs changed spur to 60 tooth( requires grinding out web below pinion gear). Go through the car and make sure every thing is free and not binding, clean and check all the bearings, replace any suspect bearings. This was my grand sons basher he learned to drive on, Its got more miles on it than a 1965 Greyhound bus. It seems like the looser it gets the better it runs. I race it on asphalt in the summer. The car is competitive and I won a couple of races with it last year. Give it a try you can always upgrade as you go. I use a Barry Baker set up I got from the Assoc site. I didn't have time to play with set ups much last year but I will this year. I picked up a like new FTTC4 last fall so thats the next project. Good luck Have fun.

BE
TJ
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

It is an option. If I end up going with the TC3 I would need to stock up on parts for it since TC3 parts are not readily available that I know of, i could be wrong. I remember breaking more caster blocks then anything else. Eric has also brought another option to my attention that I will look at next week Tuesday.

So as of right now I have 3 possible directions to go. I will find something in due time.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I'm going to chime in with the guys that are saying your TC3 is a good enough car to be competitive in VTA. Just get some good electronics in there and work on setups. I'm up to 7 of them now and contemplating an 8th. With the right tweaks, they are as good as any other chassis in this class. I took 4th at the ROAR paved nationals last summer at Leisure Hours just 2 seconds from the podium and closing fast at the end of the race. It was also the best showing of any local driver. Also took second in last year's Asphalt Assault with a tie going into the last round. I'm routinely winning races at Leisure and a few parking lot tracks in the area both in VTA and USGT. All with TC3s. I will admit that I've made several mods to make them more competitive, but all started as your basic tub. I love this car. I keep buying more to insure I'll have parts for a lifetime and I'm also contemplating a project getting some neighborhood guys together to introduce them to this hobby.

EDIT: On parts many TC4 and Losi parts fit the TC3 and many are still available. eBay is a great source and you could try http://sabulatech.com/storefront/ as well. That thing that Eric has cooking looks to be a kick butt car, but parts aren't going to be any easier for a Pro 4 than they are for a TC3.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (82%+)

were can you get the tc 4 ft now any one now
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

ebay is your best option
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (82%+)

are they still any good
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RavensNightFury
are they still any good
The TC4 is still a readily available touring car selling as a roller with parts in good supply at most indoor on-road tracks. This is 1 reason why I was thinking about converting over a lot of the TC4 parts to my TC3 but there would be a bit of fabrication needed so I'm still on the fence. The most simple thing would be to drill a hole for a set screw in TC4 caster blocks but we will see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.