Wiki Posts
Search

CEFX 2010 - A new Evolution.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
joey - Honestly, I don't think so because their suspension arms have "sweep" in them (especially the fronts). You can only use symetrical arms on the car...
ok, figured id ask since i have a ton of cyclone parts.. i want a new car for the summer and if it was possible to use spares i already have.. either way its a very nice chassis you have made.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Josh, would your CEFX fit the Cyclone? I am definitely interested in 2 sets if it does.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andrew188
Hi Josh, would your CEFX fit the Cyclone? I am definitely interested in 2 sets if it does.
Post #115 asks this same question and post #117 answers it. It's just a few posts back.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Nova - The rear belt is longer. The stock Photon belt works in the front. We may order the front belts the next time we order belts.

Double D - No, our next course of action will be to make more parts to get the car closer to a complete kit. Being that you can put these other company's suspension on the car I think we will focus on the bell crank and transmission parts first. As far as the slots, the packs I had seen only had the ones I put in there... I didn't realize other packs had them all... Which packs??

Pit - We haven't discussed it yet but we may as we get more and more parts made up for the car. The origional idea was to give people the cheapest alternative to upgrade their Photon. Now that you can do this with a Tamiya, you will need these parts anyway so we will look into what we can do about getting this all together. I'll speak with Angel about it tonight....

my thunder power 4200mah pack and orion 3800mah packs all have all the humps. not really an issue cause i cant run this awesome looking car though! maybe one day...if its a complete kit!!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Double D - Ahh... The first batch of chassis are already cut but I will get those packs and look at the dimensions for them. Maybe the next batch I can add them for users who run these. Sorry guys if you have these packs and are looking at getting a car...

By the way:

CEFX Spring Challenge at the Gate - OVAL RACING!!

Location/Info:The Gate - Laurel Square shopping center. 1733 Pearl Road, Brunswick, OH 44212. Entries are non-transferable and non-refundable after May 8, 2010. Entries limited to 75 racers. All TOUR rules apply. LiPo batteries must be charged in a LiPo sack. Personal transponders are mandatory. Pit tables and chairs will be provided for racers only. Jack the Gripper or Epic Sticky Fingers traction compound only; NO WINTERGREEN.

CEFX will be bringing display AND test cars. If you don’t have a car, just show up and use a CEFX race-winning car! Limited availability
CEFX to provide lunch on Saturday!

Awards: 13.5 COT / 10.5 / 7.5
Cash Payouts for TQ, 1st-3rd for A Mains. $5 per entry goes towards payout.
Trophies 1st-3rd for all lower mains

BRP Kids Class, Sponsored by Power Push
Trophies for all participants!

Hotel Info: Super 8 Strongsville. 15385 Royalton Rd, Strongsville, OH 44136. 440-238-0170

Schedule:Friday 5/14 6:00pm to 12:00 am: Open Practice
Saturday 5/15 7:00am to 11:30am: Practice (Controlled if necessary)
12:00pm to Finish: Racing Starts
3 Rounds of Qualifying and Mains

With the US Indoor Champs having oval racing this year I talked with Paul about hosting a CEFX race where we could work with our current oval racers to improve their cars/set-ups but we could also possibly recruite some on-road racers to come out and race oval at this year's US Indoor Champs in Cleveland. We will have 4 prototype cars built up (test cars from this year) for racers to try out the different catagories of oval racing as well as have our new 1/12 oval, 1/10 oval and of course Evolution cars on display for racers to check out. We invite all racers (oval, on-road, off-road) to stop by and give oval racing a try at the event. CEFX will be providing lunch to the racers and we should have some great racers on hand to put on a show!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc
CEFXSpringChallenge.doc (191.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: pdf
CEFXSpringChallenge.pdf (193.6 KB, 129 views)
Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

joey - Honestly, I don't think so because their suspension arms have "sweep" in them (especially the fronts). You can only use symetrical arms on the car...
The TC arms are symmetrical front and rear so they should fit (considering what was said about the hinge pins). What should also be considered is the droop screw location (is there a piece of chassis underneath it ?) and also compare the pin to pin distance of the Photon arm to the TC arm so that you know what the tread width will be.
I'm getting interested again ....... lol
Old 04-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

FYI, Cyclone TC's arms are symetrical, meaning you can use the same arm at both left and right side. In this case, could CEFX work with Cyclone TC? How about other components such as the bulkheads?
Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Josh,

The Cyclone TC kit arms are reversible/no sweep. Both the fronts and the rears to allow the use of the extra shock mounting holes.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jag88
The TC arms are symmetrical front and rear so they should fit (considering what was said about the hinge pins). What should also be considered is the droop screw location (is there a piece of chassis underneath it ?) and also compare the pin to pin distance of the Photon arm to the TC arm so that you know what the tread width will be.
I'm getting interested again ....... lol
Droop screw holes are in the same location. While I have not actually mounted the Cyclone suspension on a TOP car, I have mounted the TOP suspension on my Cyclone. It was pretty much a bolt on except the TOP sway bar mounts are bigger than the Cyclone mounts. Using the TOP lower sway bar mounts coupled with the Cyclone upper sway bar mounts solved the problem. I would guess that the reverse could apply.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Josh,

One thing I noticed is that the standard drive train is flipped for balance reason I presume. But the chassis cutouts under the diffs are cut so you have to run the flipped diffs...meaning no one-way option. Would the chassis work if the drive train was standard? If so, could the cutout be opened up so you could run the diffs either way...kind of like the new Photon chassis?

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Advil
Droop screw holes are in the same location. While I have not actually mounted the Cyclone suspension on a TOP car, I have mounted the TOP suspension on my Cyclone. It was pretty much a bolt on except the TOP sway bar mounts are bigger than the Cyclone mounts. Using the TOP lower sway bar mounts coupled with the Cyclone upper sway bar mounts solved the problem. I would guess that the reverse could apply.
Does it mean everything other than the suspension parts, including the bulkheads, spool, diff, driveshafts need to be Photon's parts?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Sorry guys, I just don't know about the Cyclone parts and their dimensions so you'll have to tell me if they will work. I don't mean symetrical left/right but front back (like Tamiya/TOP with optional shock positions). If they are like this then it's possible to use them. I thought the front arms had sweep in them but I don't know so I'm probably wrong....

The spool, diff, pulleys, bell crank and suspension mounts would probably work/fit best as Photon's (what this was designed around) but other parts may work as well.

We will try to get a list together for the best combinations of parts. Also, I'll try to see what I can do about getting my hands on a HB car to measure/build one up (jag88 - going to MSI tommorow with one??).....

Thanks for all the interest!!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Does it mean everything other than the suspension parts, including the bulkheads, spool, diff, driveshafts need to be Photon's parts?
Yes. Inner hinge pins inward would be TOP only. The TOP hinge pins are longer than the Cyclone and the hinge pin mounts are completely different.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Advil
Yes. Inner hinge pins inward would be TOP only. The TOP hinge pins are longer than the Cyclone and the hinge pin mounts are completely different.
How is the quality of Top's parts as compared to the Cyclone? Are they more durable or about the same?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

How is the quality of Top's parts as compared to the Cyclone? Are they more durable or about the same?
I found the TOP parts to be very durable. It was just easier for me to get Cyclone parts so I switched my car back. Handling wise...pretty much the same. I'm pretty sure there are pics of it in the "clean wiring" thread (wherever that is. LOL).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.