Wiki Posts
Search

2WD electric Sedan to save the class?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
There are/have been several servicable, lower cost TC's over the years (TC3, HB Cyclone S, Xray T2R), racers continually demonstrate that they don't want to spend less and the club inclusion atmosphere that most tracks have send the message that "if you don't have the expensive stuff then you're doing it wrong".

TC got a huge bump with lipo/BL but is back sliding with the advent of expensive "speed control of the month" issues.

The class has been "dying" for more than a decade, it doesn't need saving. It's just going to keep going like it is. The changes these threads are looking for can only come from sweeping rule changes to limit retail prices of the components and kits. Sounds a little communist but that's exactly how stock and mod motors have been governed for years.

FWIW, this hobby is not getting more expensive, it's actually a great deal less expensive than it was years ago. Batteries used to cost $100 a pack, off road kits were $225 back in 1984 (exactly what they cost now), motors cost the same as they did in the 80's and 90's. now we have incredible batteries and motors that you only need one of and that last for seasons. It's not all bad.

The 2wd spec class described above sounds very much like existing Tamiya silver can F1 racing to me.
+1 on all of those points. Besides, didn't Trinity/Epic try to build a similar class with the T-Spec several years ago?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
There are/have been several servicable, lower cost TC's over the years (TC3, HB Cyclone S, Xray T2R), racers continually demonstrate that they don't want to spend less and the club inclusion atmosphere that most tracks have send the message that "if you don't have the expensive stuff then you're doing it wrong".

TC got a huge bump with lipo/BL but is back sliding with the advent of expensive "speed control of the month" issues.

The class has been "dying" for more than a decade, it doesn't need saving. It's just going to keep going like it is. The changes these threads are looking for can only come from sweeping rule changes to limit retail prices of the components and kits. Sounds a little communist but that's exactly how stock and mod motors have been governed for years.

FWIW, this hobby is not getting more expensive, it's actually a great deal less expensive than it was years ago. Batteries used to cost $100 a pack, off road kits were $225 back in 1984 (exactly what they cost now), motors cost the same as they did in the 80's and 90's. now we have incredible batteries and motors that you only need one of and that last for seasons. It's not all bad.

The 2wd spec class described above sounds very much like existing Tamiya silver can F1 racing to me.
F1 racing...pan car based open wheel racing in RC. not as RC race freindley as independent suspension sedan body racing, agreed we get more for buck this days and I do beilive all this years of technology made possible to race great handling 2WD, 4WD tranny is no more required IMO.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DLS II
Here's what can be done if you work at it. Weight 4 cell 40 oz., 6 cell 44 oz. I don't have top notch tires to test with.(that and my driving needs MUCH improvement) It runs good with 4 cells-6 cells WOW! Don
wow....nicely done!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DLS II
Here's what can be done if you work at it. Weight 4 cell 40 oz., 6 cell 44 oz. I don't have top notch tires to test with.(that and my driving needs MUCH improvement) It runs good with 4 cells-6 cells WOW! Don
Interesting, very interesting... I like the fact that it's very close to a pan car, sans the rigid rear axle. How well does it handle?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks! It handles pretty good-it pays to mind your throttle finger closely. Just for grins I put the wheels and tires from my VTA on, it definitely improved. I hope to put on some nice Sorex tires and try it again. The current tires are some old dry sedan hawgs-not to conducive to traction. Don