Wiki Posts
Search

AMB Transponder repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default AMB Transponder repair

Has anyone tried taking an AMB transponder a part to fix it? I broke the wires off mine at the case and I really don't want to buy another one.

I was able to get one end of the case open but everything inside is encapsulated in some type of resin. Is there a solvent that will dissolve the resin so the PCB will pull out and I can re-solder wires?
Old 11-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I've never taken a PT apart, but if they are anything like the house transponders they are filled with silicone and you will more than likely destroy it trying to take it apart. My local track owner sent our house transponders off to have the batteries replaced (I believe it was somewhere in Australia, not sure of the company name), so it may be possible to have someone else do it but may be cheaper in the end to just buy another one. Having said all that, you had might as well give it a go since it is useless anyway and you really won't be out anything if you can't fix it.

-rocky b
Old 11-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Send it into MRT and get it cloned. Maybe they can fix it as well. LINK
Old 11-01-2009, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Arrow

Depending on the age, AMB has replaced them from $0 - to almost full price.??? Not sure what the new company (My-laps) will do... but a ph call is a cheep way to find out.

If you've bought a PT in the last few years, it comes with instuctions on how to replace the leads... used to be a PDF on AMBs site.. but I haven't found it on My-laps.

There is a couple of threads about repair in the nitro on-road, and electronics forums... probably here too.... might want to search them.

Or you can get it cloned. I'm sure you'ed be happy with the results.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default amb transponder resin

Any luck with finiding how to dissolve the resin in an AMB transponder?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Torch I did the same on mine broke the wire right at the end so crack the case open and just soldered another wire at the wire that it's left of the amb transponder problem fix and Then I shrink wrap it...
Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Torch I did the same on mine broke the wire right at the end so crack the case open and just soldered another wire at the wire that it's left of the amb transponder problem fix and Then I shrink wrap it...
+1, did the same to mine. I'm not sure if I even had a 1/4'' of wire sticking out of the resin.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just want to share so people stop getting rip off spending $$ to fix, get another one / clone.. etc.
The wire on mine ripped at the end, so I cut open part of the case at the bottom. Using a knife carefully/ slowly remove most of the epoxy until you can reach the two solder tap. And just simply solder new wire and I use glue gun to cover the hole. Then use sticker / velcro to cover up.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

does anyone have an idea how to make those lips back on the transponder? I bought one second hand with the lips cut off. There is a chassis cutout the size of the transponder on my new chassis but i need those lips otherwise it falles through the cutout .

I thought of a smal carbon strip or something but maybe someone else already got a better idea.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ah_DaN
Just want to share so people stop getting rip off spending $$ to fix, get another one / clone.. etc.
The wire on mine ripped at the end, so I cut open part of the case at the bottom. Using a knife carefully/ slowly remove most of the epoxy until you can reach the two solder tap. And just simply solder new wire and I use glue gun to cover the hole. Then use sticker / velcro to cover up. ]
Awesome tip! Did this lastnight. Worked great! I found that using a hot soldering iron will melt the resin off to make it go a lil faster.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
does anyone have an idea how to make those lips back on the transponder? I bought one second hand with the lips cut off. There is a chassis cutout the size of the transponder on my new chassis but i need those lips otherwise it falles through the cutout .

I thought of a smal carbon strip or something but maybe someone else already got a better idea.
Just cut a peice of lexan out to the shape of a transponder plus the ears and then servo tape the transponder to it.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Tech Master

thanks, great idea!!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ah_DaN
The wire on mine ripped at the end, so I cut open part of the case at the bottom. Using a knife carefully/ slowly remove most of the epoxy until you can reach the two solder tap. And just simply solder new wire and I use glue gun to cover the hole. Then use sticker / velcro to cover up.

Thank you very much for the tutorial!! Got my AMB working again after following the pics. I used my soldiering iron and just melted away the plastic and epoxy and put new wires in....good as new!!