Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
(US) Rubber/Carpet: Are we ready for mod yet? >

(US) Rubber/Carpet: Are we ready for mod yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(US) Rubber/Carpet: Are we ready for mod yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I have run on some of the bumpiest and dustiest asphalt tracks with a mod motor without problems. As long as the car is set up for it, and you pick the right tires, you can get around any track with a mod motor, it just takes a little more throttle control.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
I have run on some of the bumpiest and dustiest asphalt tracks with a mod motor without problems. As long as the car is set up for it, and you pick the right tires, you can get around any track with a mod motor, it just takes a little more throttle control.
I think this is why running more mod interests me. Modified will push the control and setup over the car in a way that no other class will. Trying to convince others will be a task, but we will see.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Looks pretty bumpy to me.
Attached Thumbnails (US) Rubber/Carpet: Are we ready for mod yet?-sat-hagbergqaction.jpg  
Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by artwork
I think this is why running more mod interests me. Modified will push the control and setup over the car in a way that no other class will. Trying to convince others will be a task, but we will see.
Not only that, but if people are out there learning better throttle and car control it will make better drivers. Maybe the US can have a few more drivers that will step up against the Europeans/Asians that have fast new drivers coming up all the time lately.

Who heard of Naoto Matsukura 2 years ago?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Can you touring guys school me on what is being run at the local tracks? I currently run a pan car with a Novak 3.5r bushless/lipo setup. I have not had much luck rallying pan car guys here in Los Angeles so normally they put me in with touring mod class. So if this continues for the next six month I am considering picking up a touring kit. is mod allowed to run 3.5 and are there many running this fast? If not what is the typical motors used?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Situation over here is - some of stock guys (10.5T with lipo) run with same car also in mod. Against 5cell 3.5T motors, they are slightly slower, but they are still able to beat many mod drivers.

I recently started to racing also mod here, 7.5T in the beginning, 5.5T on last race with LiPo. It's not that different. Yes you have to be more precise and you have also to work more with throttle. I was also able to beat with both motors drivers that are running mod for more than year.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by espresso1967
Can you touring guys school me on what is being run at the local tracks? I currently run a pan car with a Novak 3.5r bushless/lipo setup. I have not had much luck rallying pan car guys here in Los Angeles so normally they put me in with touring mod class. So if this continues for the next six month I am considering picking up a touring kit. is mod allowed to run 3.5 and are there many running this fast? If not what is the typical motors used?

Thanks in advance
You can run any motor of your choice in mod. 3.5 with a lipo will probably be a little hot compared to what most are running. I run 3.0-3.5 with 5 cells, or 4.0-4.5 with lipo and I think that's pretty close to what most others run as well.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Mod is a great choice

Adam -

I totally agree with your comments about modified racing (Throtlle control, setup, ability, etc.). At our local facility, I would like to see a group of us create a modified class and keep the remaining classes slower to support new racers and growth. A continuing problem is that we have a limited group of people that can run at modified speeds (10 or so), and it's difficult to get 5 or more of those people to show up on the same day. I'd suggest reaching out to the 13.5 Touring Expert group and asking them to try the Mod Class. I don't think Rossi, myself, Art, Robert, Weylin, etc. would have an issue.

I know you were specifically addressing touring cars, but we should start thinking about other modified classes including WGT and 1/12th. Both of these classes are much cheaper than touring, even with the cost of foams, and they're pretty darn fast. I really enjoyed my WGT 2S with a 13.5....
Old 04-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The mods are forcing me to step out from behind the curtain. Farewell Adam?, hopefully your new leaf doesn't go unnoticed. :-(

I picked up a nice new LRP X12 7.5 to use for practice. The old Novak 5800 (8.5) didn't feel very smooth. I hope a modern motor delivers its power more smoothly.

I don't know if it's all the practice, or rubber tires or what, but mod seems more attainable now. I feel like I'm getting diminishing returns on my 13.5 practice, though, and need the change.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Man, you shouldn't do that alias thing. Here I've spent the last six months wondering 'Syndrome was going hard, hit a big race, and now he's totally disappeared. What's wrong with this hobby?"
Old 04-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by adamge
Man, you shouldn't do that alias thing. Here I've spent the last six months wondering 'Syndrome was going hard, hit a big race, and now he's totally disappeared. What's wrong with this hobby?"
Still here, just humbled. :-)

There's about 10 guys locally that are very competitive in 13.5. It sounds like at least a few of them are interested in doing some mod indoors, so maybe we'll actually do a little racing at these crazy speeds. We've got quite a bit of traction on our carpet track, so I suppose that makes things a little easier.

Is it reasonable to think that practicing with a mod motor will lend itself toward being faster with a 13.5 as well?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know its unrelated, but what happened to 10.5? i liked it because i had to sometime dial some power out in order to really start getting consistant, and comparitively to other's i never really felt as if my motor was slowing me down. I can use my shotty orion packs in 10.5 no problem... 13.5 and slower it makes me feel as if need the latest and greatest. I'm by far not pro and i'm not very fast, but when its somebody's motor that is helping them getting in the lead and not their driving, they need a faster motor in order to challenge their driving skills. I say mod FTW... I'd just run a 10.5.

I'd rather be too fast than have to spend oodles of money to just be up to par.

JMO though, as long as there are classes at the local track, i'll run them, i'd just rather not my car feel like a dog on the track.

I hope that made sense.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

I am all for mod and have been for years! Step up Sally' lets do this...
Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Gitsum
I am all for mod and have been for years! Step up Sally' lets do this...
Mod rubber this Thursday?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I race with a few of the national A-main stock guys. (I think we have 5 different in the last year from the two electric on-road ROAR races). Just to play devils advocate here. Locally we want to race with those guys, because as pointed out, we want to race with the best. It makes us all better drivers. In order for these guys to race in mod and compete they would have to constantly practice mod. So what would happen locally is the following:

- Those guys race in a class by themselves and we dont get to race against them and improve
- We all join them in mod, get fed up with the expense and frustration and quit

Of the 5 guys above I know 3 of them don't travel to races a whole lot. Should they be focused on their national reputation or the building of local talent? I don't know the right answer but like I said just playing devil's advocate. This seems like a question no matter how much debated will never get solved. Can't make everyone happy.

same here